Profile for ed.and.trans.Francesca > Reviews

The Chicago Manual of Style: For Authors, Editors and Copywriters
The Chicago Manual of Style: For Authors, Editors and Copywriters
by Univ Chicago

3.0 out of 5 stars Answers most questions but not all, 18 April 2013
Obviously, it covers all the basics and most of the advanced style issues, but I was surprised to find it didn't answer all of my questions, notably regarding foreign titles. Or perhaps it did, but I just couldn't locate where -- information on any given topic is often scattered across several sections, and although this is indicated ("see also 1.234"), it did make me feel that the answers I was looking for might be buried away in there somewhere but impossible to find. This is something they apparently addressed in the 16th ed.; the following page explains the reorganisation as well as the most important new points introduced in the 16th ed.:
I ordered the 15th ed. because it was very cheap (around £6) and I needed some quick basic answers as well as some more advanced things. But I think the best solution, even if you manage to find a heavily discounted copy of the 16th, is to subscribe to the online edition, though it is definitely a bit pricey for anyone thinking long-term (about £20 per year).