Profile for snwinston@aol.com > Reviews

Content by snwinston@aol.com

snwinston@aol.com (Cornwall, England)

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuvi 2595 LMT for and against, 25 Mar. 2012
Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5 inch Screen Sat Nav with European Mapping, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth
The Nuvi arrived on time. I had deliberated for a long time about replacing my old TomTom ONE which has been a good device, not without software and firmware problems over the years, but always fixed without the need to send it back. I have had various Sat Navs for many years, including a very early Garmin with 64 MB of memory!

Pros and Cons for the Nuvi vs. buying a new TomTom? now I have used the new NUVI for a couple of long trips and planned several multi-country trips for the near future. There are some of each, but the postivers outweigh the negatives

First of all: It worked first time after charging for six hours. The owners manual (online only 88 pages) and the quick start leaflet included in the box only mention using the car lead, but the USB will do it, as will a mains charger with a usb socket, provided you check that it is the right voltage. Once charged, connect to the Garmin website, registered, and set about updating the map set for all of Europe, speed cameras etc. Be Patient! the Garmin website does not autoload on connection like TomTom Home, and there are a couple of downloaders to be installed. Once done, using FireFox on Windows XP SP3, with Micctosoft.Net, the download only took 40 minutes, whole process took about an hour.

This is where I found my first "cons". The Owners manual and some instructions online are not crystal clear, or are downright confusing to a new visitor to Garmin websties, after the ease of TomTom home. I have used the email support system twice, to confirm that the French "danger areas" were included, and to find out if Cyclops updates were included. the answers were prompt, accurate and relevant. My reading of the product info indicated it might be on the LMT, but that is not the case, updates are by an additonal subscription. Also I was hoping to use the "live services" as the product info said smartphones enabled this process. Not true. Only Android phones do this, not my iPhone! Although it does twin on Blutooth, I don't us that feature, as my car twins with the iphone for hands free use, including music. OK, I have now subscribed to camera updates, which I would have done with TomTom, but took the edge off the anticipation of a new improved device. I would also like to change the speed camera alert sounds, but cannot find out how that can be done.

On the positive side, my early use has convinced me I made the right choice, once I started to discover and use the many features that are included in the package, including Traffic info and map updates. I have not had the software or reliability problems that some other reviewers report. The traffic info is supplied by routemaster, on a TMC system, which will be around as long as FM radio keeps going. Setting up the device to do automatic detours/re-routes takes a bit of searching on the device, but worked well on two trips from Cornwall to Tyneside. The Cyclops safety alerts worked well, with fewer erroneous reports than on my old TomTom (Belt and braces I used both as a test). Accuracy was slightly better on the Nuvi on the roads, but it does not seem to have the same level of detail as Tom Tom for Services Carparks, or any car parks in general. I have never been sure that mapshare and shared camera reports have been too valuable on TomTom.

One outstanding NUVI feature was the intersection info and the excellent way it was presented.

Also, for me the itinerary planning on the Nuvi is superb, and it works, mostly. For some reason won't let me cross the channel using Plymouth Roscoff route, even though it appears in map view, and sends me through the channel Tunnel to reach Brittany, when I live within 45 minutes of Plymouth - I may have to get on to the support team again!

I am still discovering features I didnt expect (owners manual not covering all of them again), many of which are going to be useful, such as translator, detailed trip meter, and Eco Routing. As I said, I am no sure I have made the right decision, especially as new TomToms will not work with TomTom Home, and its replacement "My TomTom", is in my opinion shoddy, and unsupported by TT support! Also as TomTom re-structure their company (laid off hundreds this year) their stated intention is to concentrate on the fixed in car satnav market, and move away from portable devices, so the once excellent support (which has already deteriorated) will probably fade. So I look forward to a long relationship with the NUVI, and as I am getting older, it will, I am told, take me back to my car when I have forgotten where I left it. which for me is a reassuring feature.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 4:29 PM BST

French Hotels and Restaurants: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
French Hotels and Restaurants: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by P. Gloaguen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Francophile's view - Great Food, good restaurants, 22 Sept. 2001
This english translation of Les Routards guide to french Hotels and restaurants is a must for any traveller in France wishing to sample superb food at sensible prices. On holiday with my wife Lynda, and sometimes on business, I visit France several times a year. This guide has been invaluable in assisting us finding excellent restaurants all over France. We have never been disappointed by a meal in any of the establishments recommended in the guide. This is the third or fourth edition in english, but we have used Les Routards guides when they were only available in French. We have one observation - sometimes the menus described in the guide as specialities are not available, usually because of a change in staff, seasonal variations, or just changes by the owners. Dont be put off by this - more than once we have had a wonderful meal cooked for us after we had enquired if a particular dish was available. We have the dubious distinction of having helped the owners of the Pomme d'Api in St Pol de Leon create a dessert based on the infamous Scottish fried Mars Bar - chocolate baignettes, surrounded by a dark and white chocalte sauce! If you want honest unpretentious regional french cooking, in pleasant surroundings, at a price most travellers can afford, look no further than the hotels and restaurants listed in this guide. The discount offered by some establishments to those who produce the guide can only be a bonus. One of the best guides available, written by reviewers who have obviously visited the Hotels and restaurants. Excellent value