Profile for Marc Goddard > Reviews

Content by Marc Goddard

Marc Goddard "Deep Thinker"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MG Chemicals 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Liquid Cleaner, 945 mL (1 US Quart)
MG Chemicals 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Liquid Cleaner, 945 mL (1 US Quart)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as it says on the bottle., 6 July 2016
Saw only one other review on this product so figured I'd leave a review of my own to give other potential buyers some peace of mind.

The stuff works great, used it to clean thermal paste from a CPU and it did the job with ease while evaporating quickly, leaving virtually no risk of harming my components.

Not only that, this stuff is cheaper (30p or so at the time of buying) than the task-specific thermal paste cleaner made by Arctic Silver (which I have also had the pleasure of using, the only real 'advantage' to that being that it is orange-scented), and is on Amazon Prime as well unlike many of the other similarly priced bottles of isopropyl on the site.. With the MG Chemicals stuff, you obviously gain a whole lot more in terms of volume as well, and you're free to use it for other applications. I've found it does a great job of cleaning my PC peripherals also (Keyboard, mouse etc).

Honestly though, if you're here to buy isopropyl then you already know what you're getting. Perhaps the best I can do is assure you that this stuff is exactly what it says on the bottle, 99% pure that will clean effectively and evaporate fast. Just make sure to use it in a well ventilated environment for your own safety.

Will definitely buy again should I run out!

Prime Hide Genuine Soft Leather Mens Wallet # 5002
Prime Hide Genuine Soft Leather Mens Wallet # 5002
Offered by Biggest Little Shop Online Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatta-Wallet!, 30 April 2016
Had this wallet getting on for three years now, it's great and comes nicely packed in a fancy box.
Plenty of space and generally good quality; my only gripe is that the leather around the button has worn away, and did so rather quickly, exposing the metal underneath, but it's purely an aesthetic issue and causes no issue with the function of the wallet itself.
If they were able to thicken or otherwise treat the leather somewhat on the button flap, it would get five stars from me, however as it seems inevitably doomed to wear away quickly from daily use, the best I can do is four.
Will definitely be buying another when this one wears out as three years is the longest a wallet has ever lasted me, and it seems good to last me many more as of yet.

Razer Firefly Hard Gaming Mouse Mat with RGB Custom Lighting (Mouse Pad Preferred by Pro Gamers-Matte Finish
Offered by Dealtime IT

4.0 out of 5 stars I use it for gaming, this is my perspective., 3 Aug. 2015
Taking into account only movement, this mousepad is amazing. Lots of room (it's of a substantial size) and my deathadder simply glides across it, making it easy to make both wide, sweeping movements AND very precise, sniping type movements. I DID see, without a doubt, an improvement in my gameplay over the Razer Goliathus Control mouse mat. Part of that may just be general luck, but for the most part I am certain it came down to the stark contrast in material; this is not a fabric mousepad, it is of a hard, mostly inflexible material.
I would expect this mousepad to snap if you tried to fold it the way you could a Goliathus, although there is a little wiggle room in which it will bend a little; it's not completely rigid like glass or wood.

The LEDs themselves are cool, keeping very minimalistic and not in any way over-the-top. It looks beautiful on my desk along with my Deathadder, Blackwidow and Kraken 7.1s (I like my peripherals to match). Not at all distracting during gameplay either in my opinion; I was just playing CS:GO and not once did it interfere with my gameplay.

The packaging it comes in deserves merit in itself; I am confident no harm will come to the mouse mat while inside it. It of course comes with the usual Razer pamplet and stickers (chroma, like the mat), as well as a letter from Min-Liang Tan (CEO of Razer).

My only gripes are these: there does appear to be an imperfection in the LED strip of my mat. It's not a deal breaker, but it is noticeable and I would expect better given the cost of the product. While in all likelihood not present in many mats, it does say something for the quality control at Razer. I am considering swapping it for a new one but don't know that it would be worth the hassle. This (quality control), coupled with the high price (for what it is), and the fact that the synapse software offers limited customizability in terms of what you can make the LEDs do (I would have liked to have been able to adjust the speeds of the various lighting effects somewhat more, for example speeding up the spectrum cycling), is why it only gets four stars from me.

Beyond those minor gripes, it is an excellent mouse mat and one that I wholeheartedly recommend.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Got No Fans
Got No Fans

4.0 out of 5 stars top lad!, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Got No Fans (MP3 Download)
Let's be honest folks, as awesome as this is, it's not exactly oozing perfection, but nor is it supposed to be. The lad is a legend, and all the proceeds are going to charity, so that chalks it up to a win in my book.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
The Last Of Us (PS3)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars I honestly wanted to find at least a couple of faults to criticize in this review., 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Last Of Us (PS3) (Video Game)
As with any piece of media, you understand it is impossible to find a game that you could call "perfect", in one way or another they all have cons somewhere along the line. The Last Of Us has moved me to a point where I can no longer consider that statement to be true.

What I have just finished playing is an epic masterpiece of incredible proportions, the likes of which I do not believe the video game industry has seen in a very, VERY long time. Where other games fail in terms of story telling, gameplay and other such key areas, The Last Of Us balances them beautifully together in perfect harmony, a symphony of sound and visuals.

Remember those games you used to play? Those games, perhaps on the original Playstation or another such console? Those games that absolutely wowed you in almost every aspect, but were limited by the hardware constraints of the age? This is the modern equivalent of one of those games, and it does not fail to impress.

Enough of these bold statements then, time for some reasons to back it up. First of all, the narrative as mentioned is absolutely incredible. Without going into spoilers, I can honestly say it is on par with some of the greatest stories of all time. Playing this game, you will experience a wide range of emotions from utter joy, all the way through to genuine shock and sorrow. And I have to say, this is genuinely a game that will make you feel fear. It has been a very, very, very long time since I have found a movie or game that has made me genuinely jumpy... The Last Of Us goes above and beyond that, even so far as to make me want to play with the lights on, but I forced myself to play in pitch darkness since as I mentioned before, it has been a very long time since a video game has been able to scare me and I wanted to make the most of it.

Some people are saying "this is more of a movie than a game". While I can understand their point, you should know that a film simply could not compare to this game. A video game, by nature, requires the players interaction. This interaction is key in immersing you into the game, which is why you are more prone to jumping and other such feelings. The developers of this game have certainly recognized this, and have have gone to great lengths to ensure you are as immersed into the game as you possibly can be. It is a profound experience.

The gameplay itself is difficult to get to grips with at first, I myself had trouble to begin with, but once I figured out the basic "rules" behind the enemies, I found it much easier to navigate through the levels, taking down infected after infected. It is, by no means, an easy game. I myself played through on normal difficulty, and found areas of the game rather challenging, at which point it was usually late at night so I quit the game and went to sleep, coming back to it the next day. This was also critical as I found I needed time to collect my thoughts. Sometimes these things give you ideas that change you as a person, however slightly, and I feel I have benefited as a person from playing this game. It is by no means an impossible game, and you should not worry about this. I recommend playing through on normal, it is entirely possible to get through even the tricky bits on this level, although I cannot vouch for hard. I imagine hard really would be difficult indeed, since I found myself almost empty on ammunition throughout a good portion of the game.

That brings us onto another subject of the review; ammunition. In this game, it is in extremely short supply and you have to do your best to make every shot count, lest you be stuck behind a horde of infected or enemy survivors, with nothing besides your fists with which to defend yourself. Keep in mind that fists alone aren't enough to take down many enemies, so this is all the more reason to conserve your ammunition wherever possible. There are alternatives to using ammo, however for the sake of spoilers I'll leave this to you to figure out.

Character development plays a huge roll in this game as you follow the lives of Joel, Tess and Ellie, three survivors who have a very important goal. You will watch as the trio go through many experiences together, some comical... others truly heartbreaking. By the end of the game I had felt as I've I'd bonded so deeply with the characters that it was hard to see the game end, and I truly hope they follow up with a sequel, or more DLC.

The game makes good use of locations and props, as well as beautiful lighting to immerse the player within the game. Some of the views are breathtaking, others downright scary. In some levels, you have to find your way through pitch black with nothing but a torch. Terrifying.

Since I'm not a man who's great with words, I'll end my review here while I'm ahead. If you have any questions feel free to drop a comment below. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this game; it's moved me in many ways. You will not regret buying it, that much I am certain of. Give it a go, and remember... Don't get bitten!

Selected Homme Parkway Men's Shirt
Selected Homme Parkway Men's Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, warm, fits beautifully., 7 Dec. 2013
What can I say, for the price this is a very good quality shirt. The design looks good, the sleeves fit just right and the bottom of the shirt comes down to an adequate level.
The shirt is very soft, it's entirely made out of cotton. This also means it is incredibly warm. The buttons feel study, like they won't be coming off anytime soon, and the collar is a perfect fit.
I personally love it, can't seem to think up any gripe. It's a beautiful shirt and definitely worth £35, although I did get mine in a Christmas sale for £17. Beautifully made.

LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars A brief but concise review., 3 Dec. 2013
To cut a long story short without leaving out any important details, I basically sent two of these back because of issues (both TV's featured all the same issues). I have docked two stars off the TV in respect to this, as even though the TV itself is very good, I feel this could be due to a lack of poor quality control since both TV's had the same problem. I do, however, believe that if you got this TV without the issues, or only used media where these issues aren't a problem (more on that later), this TV would definitely be an amazing performer. What can I say, for £600 I can't honestly say I expected total perfection from a TV with so many features, but I was disappointed to have to send two back nonetheless.

The first issue was the fact that the screen featured dirty screen effect and light bleeding on the sides and corners. This initially didn't bother me since I only watched a bit of TV on it at first, however when I played games I quickly noticed it vividly when I was in dark places or during panning camera shots. If you only use media where this isn't such a problem you might not notice it, but I found even watching Top Gear it was a problem (fast cars mean lots of panning shots). The second TV had this to a worse extent; so far as to have a big dark bar about 6 inches wide all the way from the top to the bottom of the right side of the screen,visible even when just on a plain white screen.

The second issue was that the TV's repeatedly turned themselves off, particularly when scrolling through the menu. Have no idea why this was the case, never did get it figured out so I can't go into deeper detail on the issue.

That aside I feel perhaps I may have gotten unlucky but it has certainly soured my experience with the television, so much so that after sending two back I have opted for a refund and am going to try my luck with a different brand/model. The TV does actually have some really cool features, and I'll go over a couple of these now.

Firstly, the screen is perfectly sharp, so much so that I found it ideal to do my graphic design work on once my laptop was plugged into it. The colours are good on it, and it has a wide range of standard setting if you don't want to set them manually. It has a lot of wizards built in to help you get the settings perfect, and this makes it very user friendly.

I've seen a lot of people aren't too happy with the sound on this TV, but I personally didn't have a problem with it. I felt it played music very well, with a wide range between loud and quiet sounds and good sound all round. I am by no means an audiophile, so take this part of the review with a pinch of salt.

The smart apps were good with BBC iPlayer and 5od, as well as netflix and facebook, but beyond this I didn't find much else worthy of using so in my opinion they're nothing to write home about. I found the appstore to be limited at best and if you're a heavy user of apps on your TV, I would suggest looking into a different model. The apps it did have, however, I never ran into any issues with.

The web browser was okay, for a dual core you can't expect amazing performance and I feel it handled very well. At this price I would definitely say it performed adequately. I didn't use it much, so I'm afraid I can't go into greater detail, however I can say it had a wide range of features you would find on a PC browser, such as bookmarks, settings to browse and delete your history and cookies etc.

While I initially didn't buy into the 3D features since I've always viewed it as somewhat of a gimmick, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The colours remain good, and it definitely gives the screen such a sense of depth that it "pops" nicely. Although it doesn't support true 3D, I found Mass Effect looked really good when converted to 3D, and games that supported 3D looked even better. TV was okay, but in reality there isn't a whole lot on there that was worth watching in 3D in my opinion, however people into sport might take advantage of it. One downfall of this is that you have to be quite far from the TV at a rather specific angle to get the effect well, but with passive 3D this is pretty much a given (as far as I know, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) and I can't really fault the TV for it.

I think that about covers all the main features of the TV, if you have any questions about my review do not hesitate to leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 5:11 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job better than professional versions, 31 Aug. 2013
I have a profession version of this product, and am using 2 of those in a wardrobe. Over a week or so of using them, not one had a single drop in them.
After introducing THIS product, I have found the bag is nearly halfway full already (put it in just yesterday!), as such I would highly recommend this product.
The only vice is that the bag is smaller compared to the professional ones (however this is still a BIG bag), and I would recommend buying more than one, having at least ONE spare one at all times (if you intend to keep one in there at all times).
The quality of the product is good, I can't imagine the bag splitting or the hook snapping. I have to give this product 5/5 as it really does work so well.
I highly recommend this product.

STAR BLACK PETROL WINDPROOF  LIGHTER
STAR BLACK PETROL WINDPROOF LIGHTER
Offered by 1stclassgifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, does it well., 8 July 2013
Received this product the other day, gutted to find out I had to fill it up with my own Zippo fluid but then that should have been obvious from the start (probably to do with health and safety or something, not deducting any stars from the product for this).

Upon filling with genuine Zippo fuel today, it works perfectly well. Upon inspecting the inside of the black metal casing, I found a strange brown rust, product loses a star on account of this and I'm seriously hoping it does not eat through the silver metal and causing an explosion or something (probably just paranoid, there doesn't seem to be any rust of any kind that has found its way onto the silver metal).

With this in mind then it's a great product at a great price and I'm happy with it, does what I want and seems to does well. I will update this review upon the lighters demise, should I not lose it or put it out of service in favour of a new lighter before then.

Definitely worth saving the money a genuine Zippo would set you back by if you ask me!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit smelly, but work amazingly well, 29 Jun. 2013
I can't fault the product itself, as it's more likely an issue with the seller (buyinsummer), but they absolutely bloody reek of something dodgy. When I kept them in my camera accessories box, it absolutely stunk it out and now I have to leave it to air. Other than this, it is an amazing product and works incredibly well, I absolutely cannot fault it and I haven't had a single misfire so far. I don't have enough stars for this product, absolutely incredible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4