Profile for Samantha Wong Tjeng-Yi > Reviews

Content by Samantha Wong ...

Samantha Wong Tjeng-Yi (Petaling Jaya, Selangor Malaysia)

The Good Women Of China: Hidden Voices
The Good Women Of China: Hidden Voices
by Xinran

5.0 out of 5 stars Take your time reading this... it's worth the pauses, 3 Jan. 2004
Living in modern times, it's hard to imaginie that there are still areas in the world where women suffer so badly... this book covers the stories Xinran has gleaned whilst working on her radio program since the 1970s (if I remember rightly... I've just lent my copy out). Besides the stories she tells of other women, she recounts how hard it was for her to fight for her own program to be aired in China. If nothing else, this slim paperback gives a brief glimpse into another world, and it's easy to think that it's from another time. It isn't. This happened 30 years ago, and that isn't far away.
I said to take your time reading the book, because parts of it will overwhelm you. It overwhelmed me. I'm Chinese by race, but a 2nd generation Malaysian citizen, and although I'm from a modern family and have not had to undergo any of the prejudices doled out to the females of a family, I have learnt through stories and traditions a bit of what the history of Chinese women are like. But that doesn't compare to what this book reveals. I've read many books which covers bad treatment of women in historic times, but this is where this book differs. This deals with now. It's shocking but true. I hope this will broaden your horizons.