Profile for Linda > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Good Lie
The Good Lie
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-watch film in these times when refugees are flooding out of war-torn countries., 15 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Good Lie (Amazon Video)
This amazing, heart-wrenching film deals with the story of children fleeing a war where even they are fair game for target practice. It will be an eye-opener for anyone wondering whether we should open our borders to refugees. It will also remind every viewer how lucky they are to live a life of peace. I loved it.

Man Up
Man Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but thoroughly enjoyable., 14 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Man Up (Amazon Video)
Another great film from Simon Pegg, with a great performance from Lake Bell as his co-star. A sadly-single woman in her 30s is mistakenly believed by Jack (Pegg) to be his blind date. She plays along and the plot twists and turns among laugh-out-loud moments to a predictable, but highly enjoyable end. There are a few surprises which make it stand out, but it is really the quirkiness of the two main characters which gives the film the edge.

Play-Doh Marvel Smashdown Can-Heads Featuring Hulk Figure
Play-Doh Marvel Smashdown Can-Heads Featuring Hulk Figure
Offered by Balloon Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing!, 8 Jan. 2016
My nephew loved this. It is the perfect combination of creation and destruction for any child (he is 7 years old). Just be careful not to get it on the carpet! Highly recommended.

Jesus, the Son of Man
Jesus, the Son of Man
by Kahlil Gibran

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writer, poor quality book., 8 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Jesus, the Son of Man (Paperback)
I bought this for a friend because it is such a fantastic book. When it arrived it was of a poor quality, easy to damage, and the cover was very thin - I was disappointed. However, because it was close to Christmas I gave it as a gift anyway, and my friend loved the stories inside. I would highly recommend Kahlil Gibran's work, but not, unfortunately, this publication of it.

Marvel Universe Top Trumps Card Game
Marvel Universe Top Trumps Card Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 8 Jan. 2016
Went down a storm with my nephew. We played numerous games, and he didn't cheat once (apart from lying twice about his cards, he said)! Would recommend.

Detective Jack Creed Box Set: International Mystery Thriller Suspense Series: Volume 4 (Cabarita Crimes Series)
by C T Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned... this is NOT a box set!, 29 Dec. 2015
I ordered this thinking it was a box set... well, the title says "Box Set". I don't think I was expecting too much, do you? What I got was a single, thin book (not of a particularly good quality), which contained 4 novellas. To be fair, when I looked down past the actual item details to the small print there was a tiny section giving the dimensions of the book, so I suppose it wasn't really misrepresentation. However, I was extremely disappointed and felt cheated. I didn't return the book because it was a Christmas present, but wouldn't recommend purchasing anything from this buyer again.

A Path to Peace
A Path to Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's make this the Christtmas No.1, 17 Dec. 2015
This review is from: A Path to Peace (MP3 Download)
What a beautiful song! This is a multi-faith collaboration performing a spine-tingling song to promote the spirit of Christmas. We are all taking different paths to peace, and should be able to make that journey together, united in love. I loved it. I believe all proceeds go to charity. It would be a fantastic Christmas No.1 :o)

The Apparition
The Apparition

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't make me jump once., 30 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Apparition (Amazon Video)
The only reason I watched this to the end is because I was also shopping online at the same time. Don't get me wrong - it's not as bad as some films in the same format, but there's really nothing new in it, and as another critic said, the ending is disappointing. The premise of ghosts/entities being the product of the human mind was interesting, which is why I stuck with it, hoping for something better. There were a couple of goodish points (eg when the girl nails the door shut on the entity only to find herself on the wrong side of the door), but too many echoes of other films. The house seemed very similar to the setting of the Paranormal series and the couple set up cameras in exactly the same way as that film. There were also two "special effects" which have been directly taken from the Japanese classic "The Ring". As a horror fan I found this extremely annoying. I wouldn't recommend this film at all.

Thale
Thale
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nordic "Lady in the Water" - well-worth watching., 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Thale (Amazon Video)
If you like intelligent, thoughtful and thought-provoking films, then you'll enjoy this. Reminiscent of M.Night Shyamalan's "Lady in the Water", this is the story of two clean-up workers (cleaning up after messy deaths) who discover more than they bargained for when investigating the death of a loner in the woods. They discover a young woman hidden underground. Was the loner her captor, and perhaps her abuser? As the story progresses, it twists and turns in some interesting directions, with supernatural undertones. A lot is packed into 74 minutes, which shows just how unnecessary the CGI and drawn-out stories of Hollywood really are. I found it a really satisfying film.

Pompeii
Pompeii

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny - so bad it's good!, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Pompeii (Amazon Video)
I thought I knew what to expect with this film - someone else mentioned "Gladiator with lava" which is what I thought it would be, considering the cast is so good. Well, Hollywood have well and truly overdone it this time. Apart from the obligatory romance, over-the-top fight scenes (repeated over and over again), and psychopathic bad-guy, there were so many cheesy cliches I found myself laughing out loud. Kiefer Sutherland would have been a good baddy, but his very English accent with a slight lisp, possibly caused by false teeth, meant I couldn't take him seriously. It was also incredibly predictable. If you're expecting a good film to match "Gladiator", you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting to be entertained, and are up for a laugh you'll enjoy it. It's so bad it's actually good..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5