Profile for Sonya Alford > Reviews

Content by Sonya Alford

Sonya Alford (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
One to Watch (Detective Kay Hunter crime thriller series Book 3)
One to Watch (Detective Kay Hunter crime thriller series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely gripping with lots of twist sand turns, 25 Jun. 2017
I voluntarily received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review (reviewed earlier this month).

A teenage girl with virtually her whole life in front of her is murdered at a private party in the Kentish countryside, leaving Detective Kay Hunter and her colleagues shocked. The investigation into the murder uncovers a tangled web of dark secrets pointing to a history of greed and corruption within the tight-knit community.

As the list of suspects grows Kay must try and figure out who was responsible for killing the teenager, at the same time as trying to sort out her own issues after making a rather shocking discovery.

I loved the first two books in this series and was over the moon to discover that I wouldn’t have to wait long for the third. I could read Rachel Amphlett’s books all day. I found 'One to Watch' to be an extremely gripping read with lots of twists and turns. I was totally intrigued by this storyline and would never have guessed in a million years who the killer was.

As always it was lovely to meet some of the characters from the previous two books. It’s nice seeing how well they work together as a team. There were so many avenues to explore especially in this case. I really don’t like DCI Larch though. There is something about him and I can’t put my finger on it. He seems to have it in for Kay which is a pity as she is a really good detective. I keep hoping that he comes to his senses but I’d be surprised if that happens.

For some reason I thought that there would only be three books in the series, but in fact there is a fourth one coming out. I am dying to find out who is behind the personal vendetta against Kay and am hoping this comes to light very soon.

The Wild Air
The Wild Air
by Rebecca Mascull

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly remarkable story, 31 May 2017
This review is from: The Wild Air (Hardcover)
I voluntarily received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

It’s 1909 in Edwardian England. Aeroplanes are a new and magical invention and female pilots are almost unheard of.

When shy Della Dobbs meets her mother’s aunt little does she realise that her life is about to change forever. Great Auntie Betty has returned home from living in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, across whose windswept dunes the Wright Brothers tested their historic flying machines. Della spends hours listening to Auntie Betty’s tales and finds that she is fascinated and wants to learn more. She decides that she wants to learn how to fly and Betty is determined to help her as much as she can. But the Great War is coming and it threatens to destroy everything and everyone in Della’s path.

Wow! I loved everything about 'The Wild Air' including the cover. Rebecca Mascull writes historical fiction and she does it very well indeed. I really took my time with this book as I wanted to savour it from start to finish. So much was packed into each and every chapter. I came away feeling as if I had learnt loads. The descriptions throughout were truly wonderful. I could almost see Della flying the aeroplanes.

Rebecca always has a lead female character in her books, each of them a heroine in their own right. I warmed to Della straightaway. She was a very determined young lady and I just knew that she would follow her heart and do what was right for her. In those days women pilots were frowned upon. Della ran into a few difficulties whilst flying and could easily have given up her dream, but she tended to brush things off and carry on regardless. When the Great War started it of course had a huge impact on Della and her family, but out of it actually came quite a lot of good too.

I adored Auntie Betty and wouldn’t have minded sitting and listening to her tales myself. It seems she came along at just the right time. Who knows where Della would be otherwise.

At the end of the book Rebecca has written a very interesting and detailed Author’s Note. If you read ‘The Wild Air’ do remember not to miss this section out as it gives you a lot of insight into the research undertaken and what it involved.

'The Wild Air' is a truly remarkable story and is a must read for fans of historical fiction.

The Lies Within: A DI Will Jackman Crime Thriller (The DI Will Jackman series)
The Lies Within: A DI Will Jackman Crime Thriller (The DI Will Jackman series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 23 May 2017
I voluntarily received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

The body of Grace Daniels daughter is found in a Leicestershire country lane. Someone murdered her, but why? Jo was a young woman with most of her life still ahead of her. Grace and her family are falling apart and the investigation doesn’t seem to be leading anywhere. Then Faye, an old friend of Grace’s turns up and is of great comfort to her.

DI Will Jackman finds himself getting involved in the case as it seems it might be connected to others that he is reviewing. When another person is found dead all evidence points to Grace. But Jackman believes there is more to it and that Grace isn’t the killer. What happens next? That’s for you to find out.

Until now I had never read any of Jane Isaac’s books. I have heard so many good things about them though. So, when the opportunity arose to review ‘The Lies Within’ I just couldn’t refuse. Although this is the third book in the series it can be read as a standalone.

I thoroughly enjoyed ‘The Lies Within’. What a fantastic read! It was totally gripping and very hard indeed to put down. I really like Jane Isaac’s style of writing. It was obvious just how much hard work and research went into this book with regards to police procedurals and court cases. The mostly short chapters left me eager to know more.

I had a couple of hunches and I was proved right, but there was still a shock or two in store. I enjoyed getting to know all the characters. There was something about Faye that I really didn’t like. I didn’t warm to her at all and felt that she had an ulterior motive.

‘The Lies Within’ is a must read for fans of crime fiction. You won’t be disappointed. I will certainly be reading all the books Jane Isaac has written and her future novels too.

The Note: A CSI Eddie Collins short story
The Note: A CSI Eddie Collins short story

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling stuff!, 9 May 2017
I was sent an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

Having thoroughly enjoyed Andrew Barrett’s last book, 'Ledston Luck', I was thrilled when I found out that he was publishing a short story.

Eddie Collins is at a murder scene. It’s raining, it’s late and he’s feeling uncomfortable. He feels like he is being watched but when he turns around no one is there.

Back at the office Eddie finds a death threat on his desk amongst his paperwork. Scary! He can’t think who could have sent it to him but he’s about to find out.

I don’t often read short stories but I so needed to know what Eddie Collins was getting up to. I really like the way Andrew Barrett writes and this book definitely did not disappoint. It was an exciting and gripping read and for a short story there was a lot to it. In 'The Note' you get to learn a little bit more about Eddie Collins and what he went through in the past. So descriptive is this story I could actually feel the atmosphere in Eddie Collin’s house. This is spine tingling stuff.

Eddie Collins as a character is great. He doesn’t take any nonsense from work colleagues and he stands his ground. I’m sure a lot of us wish we could be like that. Perhaps Eddie could give us some lessons.

I really hope that Andrew Barrett writes more short stories as I think Eddie Collins has a lot more to reveal.

Trust Me: The thrilling suspense that will have you hooked in 2017!
Trust Me: The thrilling suspense that will have you hooked in 2017!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read which will leave you absolutely aghast, 6 May 2017
I was sent an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

Lana is stuck in a dead-end job working for a callcentre in Tenerife, making the sort of phone calls most people find annoying. Her boss is breathing down her neck as she hasn’t been able to sell even one holiday yet. Time is running out for her. If she doesn’t make a sale she’ll be out of a job. Dialling yet another number Lana hopes that this will be the one. Never in a million years did she expect the response she got.

Hundreds of miles away in Manchester, Liam has decided that life just isn’t worth living anymore. As he contemplates the best way to commit suicide the phone rings. At first he doesn’t intend to answer but then he decides that at least one person should know the truth before he dies, even if it is a complete stranger.

As the clock ticks, Lana and Liam find themselves sharing their deepest secrets. Will Lana be able to help Liam and stop him from committing suicide?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Trust Me'. I have to say there wasn’t much in the way of happiness in this story and I thought it to be a bit too depressing at first, but I soon found myself totally hooked and wanting to learn more about both Lana and Liam. I thought the plot based loosely on Gemma Metcalfe’s experience as a callcentre operative worked really well. Spread out over an afternoon, this story is about two complete strangers opening up to each other.

I really admired Lana and how she risked her job to try her best to help a stranger in his hour of need. At the same time though Liam was also of some comfort to Lana as she felt able to reveal her past to him. I was just itching to know why Lana had no choice but to up and leave with her daughter and to run away to a different country. Surely things couldn’t have been that bad? But as I read on things became very clear indeed and I was left shocked at what happened to Lana. Equally shocking was Liam’s story and what he had been through. I felt so very bad at the way he had been treated. I couldn’t help but hope that there would be a happy ending for them both. I think that what happens next though is left to the reader’s imagination.

'Trust Me' is a gripping read which will leave you absolutely aghast.

Will to Live (Detective Kay Hunter crime thriller series Book 2)
Will to Live (Detective Kay Hunter crime thriller series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars One thriller of a read!, 4 April 2017
I voluntarily received an ARC of this book to review.

When the driver of a packed commuter train sees a body on the track he is unable to stop in time. It looks like yet another suicide, but it soon becomes evident that there has been foul play and that in fact the victim has been murdered. As the investigation evolves a pattern emerges and more murders are uncovered. Detective Sergeant Kay Hunter realises that the railway’s recent reputation may be the work of a serial killer.

With a backlog of cold cases to investigate and attempts to uncover who is behind a professional vendetta against her, Kay must keep one step ahead of both the killer and her own enemies.

When a second murder takes place within a week of the first, Kay realises that the clock is ticking. The killer needs to be caught as soon as possible before anyone else dies.

I read 'Scared to Death' towards the end of last year when it came out and have really been looking forward to 'Will to Live'. Well, all I can say is WOW! This was one thriller of a read and it was extremely hard to put down. It was so very exciting and fast paced and it had me trying to work out who the killer was. I felt as if I was trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle. I just love Rachel Amphlett’s style of writing. The short chapters added to the intrigue and left me needing to know more.

It was so nice meeting some of the characters who were in the first book again. I can’t help liking Ian Barnes rather dry sense of humour. I think the team worked really well together in trying to solve this case. I enjoyed reading about the police procedurals too which the author obviously did a lot of research for. I was also really interested in the continuing storyline with Kay. I have a hunch about who it could be but will have to wait a bit longer I guess to see if my suspicions are correct.

I’d like to thank Rachel Amphlett for a fantastic read and for not making me wait too long between books. I shall now wait with bated breath for the third book.

Crime fans, I really recommend that you check out this series. Whilst 'Will to Live' can be read as a standalone I personally think you should read 'Scared to Death' first.

I can see this series being on TV at some stage in the future.

Six Stories
Six Stories
by Matt Wesolowski

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking, haunting and thrilling read, 29 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Six Stories (Paperback)
I voluntarily received a copy of this book to review.

In 1996 during a trip to Scarclaw Fell, Tom Jeffries, a member of a group called The Rangers disappeared under mysterious circumstances. A year later his body was discovered. Was he murdered or was it an accident?

It’s now 2017, twenty years since the body was discovered. It seems someone isn’t convinced that Tom Jeffries died due to accidental death. Scott King is an elusive investigative journalist whose podcasts examine complicated cases. His concealed identity has made him something of a cult internet figure. In a series of six interviews King attempts to work out how the dynamics of a group of idle teenagers conspired with the sinister legends surrounding the fell to result in Jeffries’ mysterious death.

I so enjoyed reading 'Six Stories'. Never before have I come across a book like this. I really liked Matt Wesolowski’s style of writing. He has a way of drawing you into the story and then just like that he delivers a shocker when you least expect it. I thought the idea of the podcasts was totally wonderful and unique.

The podcasts really came to life and it felt as if I was actually listening to them rather than reading them. I guess that’s what the author’s aim was and it certainly worked. The further in I got the more fascinated I was. The interviews were a real eye opener and I learnt a lot about the various characters. I found myself trying to work out who if anyone was responsible for Tom Jeffries death. I think the podcasts definitely opened up a can of worms and I would love to have known what if anything happened next.

'Six Stories; has been beautifully written. It is a thought provoking, haunting and thrilling read which will keep you guessing. This could well be one of my favourite books of the year.

Reunited: The laugh out loud romcom for all romance fans
Reunited: The laugh out loud romcom for all romance fans

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 19 Mar. 2017
I bought myself a copy of this book.

It’s 2012. Ben Tallis is thirty-six years old, has achieved his ambition of becoming a journalist and he’s engaged to a very ambitious lawyer. But there seem to be a couple of problems within the relationship. When Ben receives an invitation to a 20 year old school reunion he really doesn’t want to go. By mistake he mentions the reunion to his editor who smells a great feature article and insists that Ben returns home, faces his past, and writes a feature on how much we change and yet in so many ways we stay the same. It doesn’t look like Ben has much choice. So he reluctantly returns home, re-engages with his past and realises that you can never run from the truth or who you really are. The reunion gets Ben thinking back to 1992 when he was still at school and his best friends, including one he was secretly in love with. How will Ben get on at the reunion? Well, that’s for you to find out.

I started reading this book straight after 'Simon says'. Again, the cover is very retro and bright which is a good thing as it stands out. Having read and enjoyed Daniel Gothard’s first book I was looking forward to 'Reunited', although to be honest I wasn’t entirely sure how I would get on with it. My school days aren’t exactly something I like to think about and I would never even consider going to a reunion. As it goes I really enjoyed this book.

I think going back between the past and present worked extremely well. I did on a couple of occasions get a bit confused though, as in I thought I was still reading about Ben’s school days when in actual fact the story was back in the present. Maybe this is because I got hooked and wanted to know what happened next in Ben’s past. Ben and one of his best friends had a really hard time because of bullies. I think going back home and meeting people from his past really helped Ben to put things into perspective.

I am looking forward to reading future books by Daniel Gothard and will definitely be buying a copy of ‘Reunited’ in paperback to add to my collection.

Simon says
Simon says
by Daniel Gothard

4.0 out of 5 stars Proof that male authors can write really good rom-coms, 19 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Simon says (Paperback)
I bought myself a copy of this book.

Simon Templar was named after a suave and heroic man of action, but of course he’s nothing like him. Out with his future father-in-law who gets rather drunk, poor Simon really doesn’t expect the night to end the way it does. It seems his one chance of happiness has just been taken away from him. Everything has changed in an instant. Simon is determined however to rebuild his life, hopes and dreams.

With the help and support of his best friend Sean and some rather interesting dates, Simon goes on a personal journey of self-discovery. Can he learn to trust again and finally understand what the true meaning of love is?

I so like the cover for ‘Simon says'. It’s bright, it’s retro and it shouts out to you, saying “Buy Me!” This book is very different from any I have read in a while. I really liked Daniel Gothard’s style of writing and how text messages played a big part in the story. It did take me a bit of time to get into the story, but once in I found it enjoyable and couldn’t wait to get back to it. There were some really funny moments too. Surely only Simon could get into certain situations.

I really liked Simon and not just because he worked in a bookshop. When Simon learnt what he did from his soon to be father-in-law he was naturally angry and upset. There were two ways to look at things, but personally I didn’t blame Simon for feeling the way he did. He needed to go and lick his wounds, take some time out and decide what to do for the best. I was so glad that Simon had Sean to turn to.

'Simon says' takes an honest look at relationships, love, life, longing and friendship. It is proof that male authors can write really good rom-coms.

Fade to Dead: A truly gripping serial killer psychological thriller (Jessica Wideacre Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting, thrilling and gripping read, 11 Mar. 2017
I bought myself a copy of this book.

A serial killer is at large on the streets of South London. Known as The Director, he seems to be obsessed with young women who are barely of legal age, are blonde and beautiful. What exactly is his fascination with them and why does he keep going for just one type?

DI Jessica Wideacre who has been recently promoted is put in charge of the investigation. As the body count rises Jessica and her team find that they don’t have much to go on and soon become very disheartened. Jessica starts feeling that she isn’t up to the job. With her boss breathing down her neck, the pressure of the job and her marriage in jeopardy, Jessica is driven to drinking.

Meanwhile, The Director has a new victim in his sights. Someone who will get the red carpet treatment for sure. He’s really looking forward to acting out this film.

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Fade to Dead'. It was an exciting, thrilling and gripping read. Tara Moore really is off to a great start with this series. I liked her style of writing and the way she has managed to create characters who are genuine.

I liked DI Jessica Wideacre and thought that some of the things she came out with were hilarious. I suppose even when dealing with murder you need to have some sort of a sense of humour in order to survive everyday life. Jessica swore to the murder victims that she would find their killer and even though it seemed at times that he would never be caught, I knew that sooner or later something had to happen. Those poor girls though and what they went through, it was just horrendous. The reader is also given a glimpse into Jessica’s personal life which I always think is a good thing. There were certain members of her family that I really didn’t take to at all, especially her sister, Carol. I thought she was really selfish.

I was shocked by the ending, it was a real twist in the tale. I really wouldn’t have guessed it.

'Fade to Dead' is a must read for crime fiction lovers. This is sure to be one of my favourite books of the year. I am really looking forward to joining DI Jessica Wideacre on her next case. The second book in the Jessica Wideacre series is due out in 2018.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16