Profile for SophiaSalsa > Reviews

Lilly's Dream Deli
Lilly's Dream Deli
by Lilly Higgins

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lilly's Dream Deli (Hardcover)
I bought Lilly's first book and absolutely loved it! On the strength of that book I pre-ordered this one from Amazon as soon as I became aware of it being available. And how I wish I hadn't! The recipes are basic to the point of being insulting with the odd novelty recipe like "vegan chocolate mousse" being thrown in for good measure alongside "recipes" for cheese on toast and a fresh fruit platter. For a basic cookery book there are far, far better options out there. If this was meant to inspire me to want to eat at Lilly's "Dream Deli" or even make some of the recipes from the book, this effort was, in my opinion an epic fail. If, however it raises a few pennies for the charity shop it's going to, then all is not completely lost.

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell: Book 1
The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell: Book 1
by Chris Colfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again, 22 July 2012
One of my favourite childhood memories is walking through my home town on a Saturday morning, one hand holding onto my mother's and clutching in my hot little other hand a new and beautifully illustrated Ladybird Book retelling the story of either Cinderella, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty (or some other equally inspirational heroine or hero)and being absolutely desperate to get home and start reading it to myself. Today as I devoured Chris Colfer's masterpiece in one sitting, I relived the joy of about one hundred of those Saturday mornings.

I just adored this book. It answered questions that had always been lurking in the back of my mind since I first experienced the joy of reading fairy tales for myself and it gave me a new perspective on reading fairy tales to the children I teach. The plot was so intricately woven that the surprises kept on coming until almost the very last page and nothing felt forced or out of place. I loved that not all the characters were good but that that there were elements of goodness in some of the most unexpected characters. Despite having all the very best features of a fairy tale, this book didn't so much make me suspend disbelief as throw it into The Thorn Bush Pit and I loved it all the more for that.

Chris Colfer isn't just a talented writer; he's also a great storyteller and I just can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

p.s. Who knew Goldilocks was so rock and roll?

Saved by Cake
Saved by Cake
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Heaven, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Saved by Cake (Hardcover)
As someone who owns far too many cookery books of which far too many (as if!) are baking books, by rights I should't be even thinking of buying another. But I'm beyond glad that I did.

I'm a fairly competent cook but probably more of a baker and even though I have a plethora of baking books and a wealth of experience, I found so much in this book to inspire and delight...not to mention salivate over. The blurb will tell you that this book is aimed firmly at the beginner cook and I can't argue with that except to say please don't let it put you off if you don't consider yourself a beginner as you'll really be missing out.

The recipes work - having tried several of them I can say with confidence that they really do. The advice given is both reassuring and pragmatic, taking a lot of the fear out of baking if you've never or hardly ever tried it before. And Marian's commentary is worth the price of the book alone.

Far be it from me to spoil the surprise of this book of delights by itemising the recipes within - some might like to do that, some might like to read of them but that just isn't me. But I would be very surprised indeed if anyone on purchasing and using this book didn't find plenty to surprise, delight and bring pleasure to others with. Marian I salute you Cake Girl!

Only You [DVD] [1999]
Only You [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Marisa Tomei
Offered by Just4-U-Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Destino, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Only You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
A film to make you fall in love with falling in love over and over again. I never tire of watching this film and if ever I feel disillusioned with life, love the universe... then curling up on the sofa with a mug of tea, a bar of galaxy straight from the fridge and this dvd just transports me to a happier place. A modern classic in the mould of Three Coins in the Fountain or Roman Holiday. Just adorable.