Profile for Jeff Hancock > Reviews

Jeff Hancock

HYLO FORTE EYE DROPS 10 MLHYLO FORTE EYE DROP - 10 ML
HYLO FORTE EYE DROPS 10 MLHYLO FORTE EYE DROP - 10 ML
Offered by Activecare Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy, convenient to use and instant relief, 28 Jun. 2015
Very easy, convenient to use and instant relief. Unlike gel varieties of eye moisturiser you don't need a mirror to apply. But it's not quite as long-lasting as I'd hoped. That maybe because my eyes are rather severely dry. I use it every 1 - 2 hours, but find I have to supplement with visco-tears.
But certainly recommended.

Biotene Mouthwash for Dry Mouth, 500 ml
Biotene Mouthwash for Dry Mouth, 500 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Soothing, 28 Jun. 2015
Excellent. Soothing, unlike the paint-stripper feel of over-the-counter mouth-washes. It does moisturise if used frequently through the day and has almost completely cured my ulcers. When I do begin to feel an ulcer developing it nearly always prevents them from developing. As a gargle it can relieve dry throat.

The Burning Ground
The Burning Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling, evocative read by an author who cares about people and place., 26 Jan. 2014
Miriam writes:

I finished The Burning Ground, sad to have reached the end, not just because the writing brought tears. It is engrossing – a page-turner in fact, partly because of its excellent pace: never too long-winded, just the right balance of plot, action, description; nothing clotted or self-indulgent and full of empathy for human fraility. It’s beautifully written with an ear for dialogue and convincing characters – not always sympathetic and therefore believable; and a very moving ending that seems just right. Those last two sentences very skilfully convey hope, redemption and the poignance of endings.
Such an important book to have written – not many people could make the F&M crisis as compelling as this. The conflicts and human dilemmas of this strange and distressing time are so sympathetically drawn it’s as if the author has lived through such trauma herself. As far as I know this is the first time it's even been attempted.
The plot and overall shape are so right, you don't notice them – it all just flows. Close to the opening, the author mentions mosaic, and so it is, but it all flows together, both seamless and discrete at the same time.
And I do love the interplay of emotions, human relationships, landscape and light that I associate with this author (whose poetry and essays, incidentally, are startling, well-crafted and wise.) Places are so enticingly drawn, I mean to return to Dartmoor before winter's out.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery

2.0 out of 5 stars Long-winded whimsy, 17 April 2012
I enjoyed reading this: it is lively and seems interesting, however implausible. But before the end I was losing patience. So wordy! What has happened to the honourable trade of editing? Was the concierge even remotely credible, or the twelve year-old child? Could the concierge's problems be set aside by a five word phrase spoken by another? Hardly. So although I enjoyed the actual reading of most of it, by the end I was sick of the whimsy and irritated by its unreality.

Silverline 633872 Water Butt Pump, 400 W 2500 L/h
Silverline 633872 Water Butt Pump, 400 W 2500 L/h

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performer, 26 July 2011
This pump is almost flawless. It is silent, powerful and easy to use. I have used it to pump water from a water butt to a spray head (actually a "Noodlehead") and to lift water from a well some 8 or 10 feet into a water butt; in both applications it has performed very well indeed. (The only difficulty I experienced was in pumping from the well when for some reason it would not clear the air from a long hose and thus pump properly, but when I connected it first to a short length of piping and then once it was running to the longer one, it worked fine.)

Why not five stars? Hidden in the instructions is the short phrase: "avoid using the pump continuously for more than 10 minutes". Well, I quite understand that it's not an industrial-sized thing designed for continuous use, and actually 10 minutes, followed by a rest say for 20, then 10 more and so on, allows the water time to seep down to the roots, but occasionally I would have wanted an hour or two's use out of it.

No matter. As I say, that is my only quibble. Five stars otherwise for performance. And a three year guarantee! And all for little over £30!

Who Is Right About God?
Who Is Right About God?
by Duncan Raynor

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced, immensely readable, thoughtful, 3 Sept. 2008
I read this in three sittings on three consecutive evenings.

I thought and still think it a superb book, exactly the sort of thing that is precisely what these fevered times need with people like Dawkins prancing up the best-seller lists. It seems a perfect combination of ease of reading with the occasional lurch into scholarship, enough to convince the reader that there is a world of learning behind it all; and there is a directness, a willingness to confront every difficulty, every possible standpoint that can have occurred to anyone who thinks about religion. Of course, it's short, and far from the last word on the subject, but what a beginning! And the author provides a good list of books for further reading.

I found it exciting, and moving.

Now, OK, let me declare an interest. I worked with Duncan for many years and we talked (and argued) about some of the ideas he discusses. I don't think I agreed with him then as much as I might now, and I don't believe my regard for him has influenced this review.