Profile for Allingbone > Reviews

Bloody British History Plymouth
Bloody British History Plymouth
by Laura Quigley

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody British History Plymouth, 2 Aug. 2012
This is a brilliant history book, extremely well researched, funny, horrific and full of mystery and murder. It made me realise just how bad our British society has been throughout history - especially the days of slavery and being shipped to Botany bay for simply stealing bread! It is an enlightening series of the legends and true stories about Plymouth and its links to the outside world. An excellent book for secondary schools; well illustrated, with use of old photos to supplement the text. A fantastic read.

Ten Steps to Beat Depression
Ten Steps to Beat Depression

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten steps to beat depression, 2 Aug. 2012
How refreshing to see that someone has had the courage to write about combating depression and talk about their own experiences of it - a lot of people don't, which is one of the big stigma's in our society. I have suffered from post natal depression and was lucky to get help quickly and find out that there were many people like my self who don't! I receommend this article, whole heartedly; written by a sufferer, who gives precious advice to those who choose to get better. Well written from the heart, with no miracle cures, but getting past that first step is simply a new beginning.

A Doctor's War: Autobiography
A Doctor's War: Autobiography
by Aidan MacCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest account of survival, 5 Dec. 2011
I read this book because I have fond memories of working with Doctor Aidan MacCarthy in the late 70s in London - he was in his 80s then, an Air Comodore Retired. He was a lovely man who was cheeky, funny and full of stories, which he dictated to the young, WRAF typist in preparation for publishing. It is a most moving account of how he survived the horrors of WW2 with some humour along the way and heroic deeds, which he never boasted about. My memories of him will stay with me always and I thank him and all those other people who suffered and died to allow me to live the life I have today. What a shame we never learn from war. It still goes on and still people suffer. I recommend this book wholeheartily and hope you enjoy it as much as I did - and still do.

The Devil Comes to Dartmoor: The Haunting True Story of Mary Howard, Devon's Demon Bride
by Laura Quigley

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Certainly came to Dartmoor and then went global!!, 18 Nov. 2011
This book is a cracking read. It is well researched by the author and very well written. It's full of the horrifying, true stories of Royalist v Roundhead battles and the real history of these bloody times of civil war, headless kings, fundamentalist catholics and puritanical ideals. I would recommend it wholeheartedly, for those who enjoy reading, about what really lurks in Englands sordid past.