Profile for Jane Baker > Reviews

Content by Jane Baker

Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, Book 2)
The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, Book 2)
by Val McDermid

5.0 out of 5 stars Seethes with tension, 2 Mar. 2014
This is really a 2-in-1: a manual of forensic psychological profiling and a masterpiece as a crime fiction novel. It works. I'm new to Val McDermid so have much to look forward to in this series, though I did not read the first. However it was easy to pick up the relationship between Tony Hill and Carol Jordan and their ghastly shared history. The detail is fascinating and it's not difficult to process the subtle differences as explained between MO and "Signature". I shall look for this in crime fiction from my other favourite authors. It's quite academic in parts where Tony Hill is explaining the finer points of profiling but VM does this so easily and so well. Her prose is excellent, her use of language demanding and stretching. Her characterisation digs into the core; there is nothing superficial here. But there are lots of twists and surprises. And what confidence to expose the murderer at the outset.

Murder in Mind
Murder in Mind
by Lyndon Stacey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my poison, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Murder in Mind (Paperback)
I'm an avid crime fiction fan and love horses but this mix didn't work for me. The pace didn't hold my attention and the prose seemed ordinary, uninspiring. The plot lacked drive and the characters didn't stay with me, though they were credible enough. If you like a reasonably gentle detective novel you may enjoy this. I chose it because it's a West Country murder and I live in the West Country but there was little sense of location in it for me.

Midnight at Marble Arch (Thomas Pitt Mystery, Book 28): Danger is only ever one step away... (Thomas Pitt 28)
by Anne Perry

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and analytical, 13 Feb. 2014
It's been many years since I read a Pitt mystery and I intend to read the next in the series. I was a bit bothered at how rape in this novel set in the 19th century was presented in discussions between Pitt, Charlotte and the wonderful Lady Vespasia. I have difficulty in believing it was talked about at all in polite society. Charlotte is without doubt an unusual woman for her time but this stretched things a bit for me. The theories on rape seemed very 20/21st century. That aside it's another Perry masterpiece. I'm trying to figure out just how old Lady Vespasia is. Can any reader advise?

1,000 Places to See Before You Die
1,000 Places to See Before You Die
by Patricia Schultz

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes with me on every trip, 6 Feb. 2014
Someone in the States gave me this 10 years ago. Before every trip I look to see where I should go, what I should see, where I should eat and I tick every visit I make. It's my traveller's bible. This fat book is a part of my itinerary and has crossed the Antarctic peninsula with me. I don't care that it's heavy.

Quelqu'un m'a dit
Quelqu'un m'a dit

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est tres bonne, tranquellement, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Quelqu'un m'a dit (Audio CD)
Beautiful, haunting, seductive. Perfect for background to a romantic evening. Somehow it reminds me of a mix of the gentle Francoise Hardy and earthy, gritty Cher.

Men and Sheds
Men and Sheds
by Gordon Thorburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpan funny!, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Men and Sheds (Hardcover)
I bought this as a stocking filler for my husband. We both enjoyed it! Such a lot of laughter from such a little book.

7cms (3inch) Deep KING Size Memory Foam Mattress Topper ***Now Includes A Washable Zippered Cover*** By "The Linen Depot"

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep easy, 6 Feb. 2014
I purchased this after an operation left me with aches and pains in my hip joints. Soft but firm and supportive. The topper is ideal and I recommend it strongly. 3 inches is quite deep so if you have a very deep mattress to begin with as I do then you are quite a long way off the ground!

Alpen Porridge Raisin/ Hazelnut/ Almond Pot 60 g (Pack of 8)
Alpen Porridge Raisin/ Hazelnut/ Almond Pot 60 g (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mix of my favourite things, 6 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was surprised that I liked this! Usually I create my own muesli breakfast and have plenty of time to do so. I don't have a big appetite so this was quite sufficient as a portion. Rather sweet for my palette but it was tasty and there was nothing to dislike about it - apart from eating out of a pot! I don't like food-on-the-go so can't imagine I would ever buy this but for anyone who's short of time this seems ideal to me and felt like an healthy option. I made it with an equal quantity of milk and water.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
by Peter May

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and compelling, 2 Feb. 2014
Utterly consuming. The reader is drawn in from the first page and there is no escaping the power of this novel. Intrigue within families, secrets which span generations, death, loss, love and the compelling force of location, work together to make this a tour de force. Fin McLeod, the main character, is dark, deep, but massively attractive, hiding his soul after a tragedy and prone to existential self-analysis. The plot makes one gasp in its originality and complexity and is crafted sublimely. Peter May is a master at the top of his game. I can't wait to read the second in the trilogy but need to process this first as it still speaks to me after I've read the final lines.

Scarlet Women
Scarlet Women
by Jessie Keane

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my poison, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Scarlet Women (Paperback)
A friend gave me this whole series, enthusing richly. I tried this but it's too upfront and bold with a style that felt rather brash, prose lacking in elegance.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30