Profile for sunfish > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
New Look Women's Fluffy Sloppy Long Sleeve Jumper, Light Brown, Size 8
New Look Women's Fluffy Sloppy Long Sleeve Jumper, Light Brown, Size 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and fluffy, 3 Jan. 2016
Very comfortable and fluffy, although the colour is slightly different from what I expected - rather than being a light beige its more like a pale pink. Still, very nice!

[New Release] Anker Aluminum Multi-Angle Universal Phone and Tablet Stand for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Nexus and More (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jan. 2016
Nice product at a good price. Many thanks!

I Forget Where We Were
I Forget Where We Were

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Forget Where We Were (Audio CD)
As other reviewers have pointed it, this album shows massive progress since his first....from mainly sunny and relaxed tracks, to this brooding, exceptionally beautiful work of art.

On first listen only 'Conrad' stood out - but this is one of those wonderful albums which rewards with repeated listens. The whole album is wonderful - my only criticism would be that I don't really understand the lyrics!

Five stars - I would give it fifty if I had the option.

Ancient Light
Ancient Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, mesmerising songs - strong vocals, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ancient Light (MP3 Download)
Beautiful, mesmerising songs - strong vocals, lovely instrumentation and great melodies. A very talented singer-songwriter and musician - I'm surprised that this is the first review. He cites Bon Iver as his inspiration but his music is far more interesting.

My only criticism is that this is just too short at only four songs! I'm now hoping that he will release a proper, full-length album in 2015.

A Rough Guide to Feeling Rough
A Rough Guide to Feeling Rough

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Aug. 2014
I can't believe that noone has reviewed this album. I found it on Spotify and haven't stopped playing it for a few days now. Excellent songs - some toe-tapping, some wonderful singalongs, and great lyrics to belt out. I love it!

ChineasyTM: The New Way to Read Chinese
ChineasyTM: The New Way to Read Chinese
by ShaoLan Hsueh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious students of Chinese, 17 Mar. 2014
This is a beautiful book. Clear, bright illustrations and bold colours. Unfortunately I bought it to learn Chinese characters, and not to appreciate the artwork of the author, talented though she may be.

The first problem is that the characters are not necessarily the first characters that you would learn - it appears that they have been chosen for their appearance (and how well they can be converted to pictures) rather than their usefulness to a student of Chinese. In fact some of the characters are quite obscure.

The second problem is that the author has mixed up traditional and simplified characters - presumably (again) according to how easily they can be converted to pictures.

At the end of the book is a short story - I thought it would be in Chinese, using most of the introduced characters as a neat way to practice what has been taught - but to my surprise, it was in English with a few characters in the illustrations.

I read through the whole book and very quickly realised that it was not going to be useful at all for me. Very disappointed because I was looking forward to its publication. Thankfully, I have since found far more useful books for learning Chinese characters.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 4:11 AM BST

The Gloaming
The Gloaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Gloaming (Audio CD)
An extraordinarily rich and beautiful album. Some songs are in Irish Gaelic and some have no vocals at all, but all are crafted by master musicians. A collection of moving and exhilarating tracks - listen to the album while walking on a hot, dirty, crowded street and be transcended.

Moonfire
Moonfire
Offered by 5records

5.0 out of 5 stars A grower, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Moonfire (Audio CD)
The mark of great music - songs that sound ordinary at first, but then, with each listen, grow in nuance and depth. At first I was reeled in by the chorus in Part-Time Believer (one of the best singalongs I've heard!) but now I've realised that every song is wonderful. After twenty listens, the melodies still sound fresh. I haven't enjoyed an album this much since Lord Huron's Lonesome Dreams, and I'm always on the lookout for good new music.

I think it's more like a cross between Crowded House and Ben Howard - I'm not sure I would put Boy & Bear in the same category as Mumford and Sons.

A wonderful album! I can recommend it unreservedly.

Break It Yourself
Break It Yourself
Offered by wilfsiddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Break It Yourself (Audio CD)
What a gorgeous album. I have not been this captivated for a long, long time. Out of fourteen songs, eight are truly sublime (especially the guitar-picking Orpheo Looks Back) but everytime I listen, I find a new favourite. Understated but elegant, the melodies are sweet, the singing warm and heartfelt. I wasn't an Andrew Bird fan but I'm off to find absolutely everything he has done based on this superb album!

Flood
Flood
by Stephen Baxter

1.0 out of 5 stars Drowning, 24 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Flood (Paperback)
Like one or two other reviewers, I had to give up on this one. I was about one-third of the way through the book and suddenly decided that I just couldn't stand another page full of water, floods, rain, welly boots etc.

As I didn't finish the book I'm not really qualified to comment on the plot or characters, but neither had me hooked (excuse the pun). I couldn't quite understand the whole 'hostage' scenario either, or what it had to do with floods, except perhaps to add a sub-plot.

Dull as dishwater.