Profile for J. Sharpe > Reviews

Content by J. Sharpe

J. Sharpe "a reader" (england)

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

3.0 out of 5 stars No empirical evidence presented, 26 Aug. 2011
This is an interesting read and likely worth it. The main point is there are a lot of people in finance who have no clue about statistics.

One of the key points is that many financial markets follow power law distributions. I was disappointed to see that no empirical evidence is presented to support this. So I tested it myself. 108 years data of equity returns in 5 countries (the DMS data set). There is no evidence to suggest annual equity returns follow a power law distribution. A much better fit is achieved with exponential.

Best to check oneself; free data is available from yahoo; R statistics program is free online; the fExtremes packages quickly tests if data follows a power law distribution.

Very disappointing and left me suspecting the other unsupported arguments in the book are similarly flawed.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Me and Fibromyalgia. the Long Awaited Cure.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Me and Fibromyalgia. the Long Awaited Cure.
by David Mickel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the cure, 18 Aug. 2007
This is absolutely not the cure for ME. It is extremely expensive. Sufferers are encouraged to take the treatment with suggestions that it works in one session. After 7 sessions I was basically told it was not working because I was not doing it properly.

There is no statistical evidence backing it and my own anecdotal evidence of knowing 4 people having tried it and all failed is not promising.

I would categorise this alongside other so called alternative therapies which are tried by people in a lot of suffering desperate for a cure.

I would recommend calling the CFS help line on 0845 123 2390.

As a professional statistician i would gladly perform a trial of this "cure", some how I doubt the author will contact me.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 4:22 AM GMT