Profile for Michael J. Davies > Reviews

Content by Michael J. Davies

Michael J. Davies "Creosote" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
JJC TM-F2 Timer Remote for Sony A58/A7/A7R/A7S/RX100II/RX100III/HX300/NEX-3N Camera with Multi Interface

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere for your Sony remote, 18 Oct. 2016
I have three issues with this remote.
First it had no instructions and I defy anyone to fathom out its working. Found some instructions on the net and its just so fiddly and non-intuitive that I find it a pain to use.
Secondly, it bleeps when counting each second of exposure, which after much faffing around one can turn off, but each time the device is powered off and on the bleeping resets.
Thirdly, the screen is very poor.

Its cheap, its nasty.

Logitech M220 Ambidextrous Wireless Silent Mouse (Optical Laser, USB for Windows/Mac/Chrome OS/Linux) - Grey/Charcoal

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap construction, not silent, not that good., 18 Oct. 2016
Despite buying it from Amazon Prime took 6 days to arrive.

Presumably Logitech have a different concept of "Silent" to what would be the dictionary definition. It makes the same noises as every other mouse, just a bit duller and more subdued, maybe advertising it is "quiet" would be more appropriatte. It feels quite cheap and plasticky, more so than my other Logitech mice. I dont find the pointer stable, I mean leave it in a position and it oscillates and wobbles slightly.
Its relatively small but I have small hands and prefer a small muse, so no issue for me, but if you have large hands it may well be too small for you.
I suspect it will end up in the spares box and I'll be returning to one of my older Logitech mice.
I am afraid I cant recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2016 7:31 AM GMT

Ex-Pro® Black SOLAR Bullet Mini Dummy / Fake CCTV Security Indoor/Outdoor Camera with Solar pannel for flash LED [Pack of 2]
Offered by ExpressPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly convincing, bit plasticky, but decent value., 6 Sept. 2016
They do look fairly convincing but looking at next door's real camera these do look a bit Chinese fake with their all plastic construction. The wire which comes out of the camera to make it look more convincing is just pushed into the base, not attached so it keeps falling out which isnt going to help the credibility! Got some Duracell rechargeable batteries from Amazon for them, and will see how long they last.

I suppose all these security measures are a deterrent, to plant seeds of doubt in the would be burglar so they leave ones property alone, and in that sense, for the money these are fine.

Yale HSA3000 Window Security "Yale Alarm Protected" Stickers
Yale HSA3000 Window Security "Yale Alarm Protected" Stickers
Offered by XCELPLUS

2.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, difficult to fit, but generally convincing as a security deterrent, 6 Sept. 2016
Look convincing enough, but over-priced, slow delivery, and the two stickers arent even separated, you have to cut between them which is tricky as the gap is miniscule. Also fitting them is not easy as they have to be peeled off then placed on window and trying to do this with something gthat wants to curl up and and seems almost magnetically attracted to ythe window, once it touches it sticks, so no second go. For what they are the price I paid £3.50 must be a joke on me. 50p or just maybe a £1 might be fair.

The Martian
The Martian
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good watch, just dont expect anything credible, 3 Sept. 2016
This review is from: The Martian (Amazon Video)
A good watch. Pass a couple of hours enjoyably but please dont examine the science in it which is laughable. Supposedly they had Nasa planetary experts advising, yeah right. It also has loads of plot holes which I wont go into detail for fear of giving spoilers.

Matt Damon is one of those actors that doesnt ever seem to be in a bad movie, if you see his name on the credits you know you wil probably have a good time, and this is no exception. Just suspend your belief that this could actually happen, which it couldn't. And for me, that is an issue, science based movies need to be credible, and this isnt. Still worth watching though!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2016 9:46 AM BST

The Last Witch Hunter
The Last Witch Hunter
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Aweful, first Vin Diesel movie I have seen that I havent liked, 3 Sept. 2016
Aweful.
I like Vin Diesel, and watch most of his movies, but I switched this off about half way through, and thats the first time I havent finished a film for ages, especially one I paid for!
Its slow, clunky, stupid and just pitiful.
Sorry, but thats my take.
Extremely dissapointed.

Ledlenser L7 Lightweight LED Torch (Black) - Test-it Pack, 7008
Ledlenser L7 Lightweight LED Torch (Black) - Test-it Pack, 7008

3.0 out of 5 stars Great torch let down by one design flaw, 3 Sept. 2016
Great build quality, came with two sets of Duracell AAA batteries which is a nice touch, also a good wrist strap, but surprised there was no pouch for it. Light output for its size is really good, and it adjusts the throw of the light by screwing the head, unfortunately thats its weak point, as with all torches of that design you end up unscrewing the head rather than adjusting the beam. I have Cree torches that do beam adjustment by sliding the head back and forth which is easy and reliable and no faffing with accidentally unscrewing the head.

I do like the torch, and will use it happily but for a quality product the beam adjustment is just naff.

Cap light, ThorFire 5 LED Cap Light, Lightweight Headlamp Rotatable Ball Cap Visor light Clip-on Hat Light Hands Free for Hunting Camping Fishing

2.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but very over-priced, 3 Sept. 2016
Clip works ok, though a bit tight to get on the peak of a hat but then I would rather have it that way than falling off because its loose.
The light output is rather limited, I have a tiny keyring torch that puts out more light, also the angle adjustment is very stiff, I cant do it one handed, need to remove the cap and adjust it.

Its nothing special, and really for the money I was expecting something a heck of a lot better. If it was £5 I would give it 4 stars, but at £12 I am afraid its worth no more than 2 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2016 2:55 AM BST

Bulk Hardware BH01814 Patio Sliding Door Lock and Key - Matt White
Bulk Hardware BH01814 Patio Sliding Door Lock and Key - Matt White
Offered by Commercial Hardware

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fine, 3 Sept. 2016
Installed ok, has two sets of screws, normal and security, I used the normal ones as its near impossible to get the security ones out again, which is the point I suppose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2016 12:17 PM GMT

Lansky Sharpeners PS-MED01 Blade Medic - Black
Lansky Sharpeners PS-MED01 Blade Medic - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Best product I have ever purchesed on Amazon, 26 Aug. 2016
Simply the best sharpener I have used.

15 years ago we bought a pretty expensive set of Japanese Global kitchen knives, and since that time I have been trying to sharpen them. Ive had the various sharpeners made for Global knives, a whole selection of sharpeners that got good reviews here at Amazon, and I even in frustration resorted to a whet stone and honing steel and trying to learn to sharpen properly. In that time all I succeeded in doing was chipping the knife edges. I am not trying to get my knives razor sharp, honing them like a butcher, just sharp enough for general kitchen duties and to carve a joint.

The Lansky arrived this week from Amazon and has been a revelation! My wife is shaking her head that I now look around the house for more knives and scissors to sharpen. I have shrapened all our kitchen knives including serrated bread knife, all our pairs of scissors, and even a few small pocket pen knives. All done quickly, easily, safely and with no real effort.

For the kitchen knives I used 4 strokes of the carbide, then 4 strokes on the ceramic, takes maybe 5 seconds, and the knife is sharp, not crazy sharp or anything but noticeably sharper. For the serrated knife I used the pointed diamond rod, though that took several minutes working on each serration. The scissors I use the wide white ceramic blade, just run it along the scissor edge.

I am dubious of overtly positive reviews when I read them so conscious mine may be over the top, but after many years shopping on Amazon this is the best product I have ever bought.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20