Profile for Hugo Rune > Reviews

Content by Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune (Ealing, London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bluetooth Earphones, TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.1 Headphones Stereo Magnetic Earbuds, Secure Fit for Sport, Gym with Built-in Mic
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Mar. 2017
Great product. Does the job.

Fackelmann 42121 Spice Tin  45 cm Magnetic
Fackelmann 42121 Spice Tin 45 cm Magnetic

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 9 Nov. 2016
Description says x 6 Tin. Only one turned up !

Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion Pedal
Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion Pedal

4.0 out of 5 stars Great distortion pedal!, 24 Jan. 2016
I recently bought this pedal and used it live for the first night the other night ( for a rock/pop band). Absolutely loved it. I use a VOX amp and have to switch between clean and distortion between songs, so I can't push the amp to natural distortion , so I leave the clean channel and need pedals for my sound. The BOSS DS1 and SD1 didn't work for me,... but the DA2 ... perfect , only used it twice but the sound is great and goes someway to recreate the at Marshall distortion. really pleased with this pedal. easy to use, just the sound I was looking for . Need to play around with it further , but worked so well straight out of the box!

Knights Who Say Ni! Navy Men's T-Shirt, Size L
Knights Who Say Ni! Navy Men's T-Shirt, Size L
Offered by Jekat

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good quality t-shirt, 21 Feb. 2015
Really good quality t-shirt. Not too thin , not too thick . Good fit. Super fast delivery too. Buying another on in red. Ni!

Men's Turn-down Collar Cotton Padded Wind Overcoat Double Breasted Wool Mix Coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this coat., 21 Nov. 2014
Not bad quality. Arrived in good time. Bought xxl as I normally buy large . Its more of a large medium which is fine for me.
Nice pattern on this inside. All good!

A Feast for Crows (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
by George R. R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Books 1-3 (NO REAL SPOLIERS), 17 Feb. 2014
I found this a tough read. Good in places , but overall a disappointment to compare with the earlier books. At times , way too descriptive of minor events and too many back stories / history of lesser characters. Whole chapters of could have been condensed to a single page. This led be to lose interest in the story. I found myself skipping over sentences and even paragraphs.
Whilst the story does develop, it does so ponderously. It mostly centers around the political movements in Kings Landing, Dorne and the Iron Isles. As well as the stories of Arya and Sansa.
As others have mentioned, the book does not follow events with Daenerys, Tyrion or the Wall. I would not begrudge this too much, had the book been more exciting!
I feel this book has been “padded” out by the author to help make this seven book epic.
However , I am now deeply immersed in the saga and will continue to the next book, just hoping for a return to form of the earlier books. Ill be buying the next tow book “used” and not for the premium cost.

If you have come this far in the tale, you know you will have to continue. Just take a deep breath and plough on through this book.

With the back end of Storm Of Swords and this book combined, I’m sure the TV adaptation, for season 4, will none the less be very good!

I am also very suspicious of some of the earlier 5* reviews! A lot of are so similarly written with no real description/review of the book. Check them out yourself if you can be as bothered as I was!
Highly suspicious! I think the book is probably 3* but feel I had to counter these fake 5* reviews.

The Book of Ultimate Truths (The Cornelius Murphy Trilogy 1)
The Book of Ultimate Truths (The Cornelius Murphy Trilogy 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a tradition or an old charter or something., 1 Jun. 2012
The book that opened my mind to the "real" truths out there in the big bad world. It changed my life! Well ok maybe just my humour. I found a copy in my parents attic 20 years ago, in Wales. I now live 15 mins from Brentford.... and have a thing for sprouts.

The book is just a stepping stone to the world of Mr Rankin's imagination and humour. I don't even believe its his best book, but it is certainly the starting point.

To discuss the plot, story and characters (there's a tall one and a short one) would be irrelevant. This book is more a state of mind! My favourite way to describe Rankin books would be thus; Its like Eddie Izzard, but in a book. Who is in Brentford. Drinking a pint of large. On LCD.

Anyway, if you want to know what REALLY happens inside toasters, amongst other life's mysteries, then buy this book and keep it close at all times! Its more than just a novel. its a reference book, a guide, an old charter or something.

Change your life. Buy this book. 7 out of 5 stars.

CD Slot Mount Car Organiser as featured in The Telegraph
CD Slot Mount Car Organiser as featured in The Telegraph

3.0 out of 5 stars Wobbly, 20 Feb. 2012
Na, not for me. Tried with Tom Tom and Iphone. Both weighty enough to cause a lot of "wobble" - for want of a better word - in my Honda Civic. Only a little annoying for the sat Nav, but just not practical for the Iphone (using a specific holder), especially when changing songs. Maybe its just the CD player in the Civic. But Im considering the air vent holder for the iphone. May persevere with the it for the Sat Nav. Almost, but not quite for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 9:40 AM BST

The Resistance
The Resistance

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world..., 20 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Be it with guitars, piano, orchestra or indeed oboe, Muse's agenda has always been to make music sound as emotive, exciting and enjoyable as possible. I believe they have succeeded on all these accounts with the "The Resistance".

Whilst the feel and sound of the album is more upbeat, fun and commercial than some of its predecessors - not overly dissimilar to Black Holes & Revelations - the true essence of Muse is still strong as ever, and I easily rate the album five stars for its depth of quality. This is an album of diverse songs - each quite unique to the other - The variety of sounds and uplifting, inspiring moments will keep you enthralled throughout

They may well have taken a step back from their heavier guitar orientated songs of past albums, but it's the change and variety that Muse offer is what I appreciate. This can be highlighted by songs like "Undisclosed Desires" (powerful and emotive, yet no guitar riffs in sight) and "I Belong to You" (an insanely catchy, yet distinctly Muse tune, and with Oboe solo). Other songs are more typically Muse; the pumped up MK Ultra (a personal favorite) , the epic Unnatural Selection (a similar riff to New Born but Ill forgive...) and also Resistance, all of which hold true to the Muse sound yet offer something new. The album finishes with a total change of mood; the sublime symphonic trilogy of Exogenesis (three four minute mini-symphonies), highlighting again the variety of out-worldly and inspiring sounds that Muse enjoy experimenting with.

I'm not totally surprised by the few negative reviews; some people don't like the change, and were maybe hoping for a darker, rockier album ala Origins of Symmetry. Muse are simply evolving and even maturing with this album. When bands don't do this they can stagnate. (e.g. Oasis 3rd album onwards). They show here there's more to them than just guitar riffs. For me, "The Resistance" is a great addition to the Muse discography, and have found it a joy to listen to.

Back when they released "Showbiz" people where quick to compare them with Radiohead, now 10years on, it's Queen. I enjoy both bands, for me however, I don't care much for comparisons. I think this album is quintessentially... Muse.

I'm looking forward to seeing them live in November and indeed to each and every further release, knowing they will never disappoint.

Apocalypto [Blu-ray]
Apocalypto [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rudy Youngblood
Offered by MEDIA-MOST-WANTED

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Entertainment., 3 April 2009
This review is from: Apocalypto [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Wow! This film is amazing. Its almost the perfect film for Blu-Ray: The vibrant colours, jungle scenery, fast paced action and good story all made for a very fascinating watch. The attention to detail is also quite impressive (as you'll see in extras). This is also not just a chase film as I had thought it would be from install reviews. It offers a lot more by immersing us in a Mayan culture before the Spaniards turned up. A very vivid and bloody portrayal, as it may well has been in that time. You should of course not read this as a historical documentary, but Mr Gibson creates a very real and convincing environment. The characters are also quite convincing and you can really empathize with them, especially through some of the harrowing moments they endure. I really enjoyed how the personalities were brought to life from these long gone Mayan people; both cruel and kind. I also enjoyed how the film ends (you wont see it coming!) ... well I didn't anyway.

All in all, a film you can watch whatever you mood. You know you going to be entertained by this and I certainly was. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A lot of gore (lock the kids away. Not in a Belgian way though), a lot of stunning scenery (some of the panoramic shots in HD are just worth it alone) and a lot of fun. Interesting extras too. Highly, highly recommend this. Worth all 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3