Profile for Mr. J. Wild > Reviews

OVEN PRIDE OVEN CLEANER 580013
OVEN PRIDE OVEN CLEANER 580013
Offered by The Royal Trader

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, 22 Jan. 2016
More s*** and grease gets shifted at the average gay pride

Stop Thinking, Start Living: Discover Lifelong Happiness (Book Artwork May Vary)
by Richard Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars I've suffered from depression on and off for almost 30 ..., 15 Jun. 2015
I've suffered from depression on and off for almost 30 years. This book is a complete game changer, give it a go you have nothing to lose. I have spent years on anti depressants and have worked hard at CBT (with some success) but this is the ultimate short cut, it's a quick fix that WORKS, I can't praise this book highly enough
I AM H A P P Y!!!!!

Razorpit Razor Blade Sharpener
Razorpit Razor Blade Sharpener
Offered by Heath & Beauty Online

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% positive, 4 Mar. 2013
100% positive, I am very prone to shaving rash, so never use a blade more than 5 times, this absolutely works
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2013 8:29 PM GMT

Pete Townshend: Who I Am
Pete Townshend: Who I Am
by Pete Townshend

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish he'd died before he got old, 11 Feb. 2013
Like many who fans I'd been anticipating this book. Not keenly anticipating, but expecting to be the monumentally boring tome it has always promised.

Shock horror it starts off well, Pete's early remembrances of "The Who" right up to Quadropinia are rather beautifully written and romp along quite nicely but rather predictable it all starts to go pear shaped round about "Lifehouse" NOBODY CARES PETE! it was an average idea which you failed to communicate - end of!
Thereafter the second half off the book feels like it's been written more from contemporaneous notes and is VERY, VERY boring. As one of the other reviews points out nobody give a toss about the solo work (they didn't at the time so why would they now?)
The Who was for people and what happened between was amazing. I'd have like to have heard more about that from the fountain head. Pete on is own is the Pete we all know and love, self obsessed, a bit pretentious, a bit boring and a bit disconnected.
I love you Pete but a bit of self censorship, editing and seeing the world through your reader's eyes is what was called for here. The Dave Marsh book is still the best by a country mile.

Draper 78456 230-Volt 250-Watt Wet and Dry Bench Grinder
Draper 78456 230-Volt 250-Watt Wet and Dry Bench Grinder

3.0 out of 5 stars its not great but it hasn't been a disaster, 2 Oct. 2012
I brought one of these from a different supplier and when I got it out the box the wet stone didn't turn (although the spindle did) so I thought "Here we go, I've wasted my time and money on another piece of sh3t". On closer inspection, I realised that the nut securing the wet stone just needed tighten it up (which meant removing the water bath). Once I'd got it fully up and running I was REALLY pleased with it.
Like the guys above I'm a chippy and brought for chisels, but my background is in metal bashing so can I offer some other perspective on then comments above...

The wet stone does run out of line but it doesn't matter, the wet wheel is geared right down (slow with lots of torque) so the "wobble" has no effect on what you are grinding at the working surface (the wobble is more visible on the side of the wheel which you don't use).

The body does get hot, but I would expect this, it has a heavy cast body designed to dissipate heat from the motors, I've run mine continuously for hours now, it's warm (even hot) but not dangerous and not a problem.

In an afternoon I have taken 30 chisels from "scrap" to being able to shave with them. The fast wheel gets the balk of the damage out (but you need to know what you're doing, its REALLY fast! The slow, wet wheel finishes blades virtually to the point where they only need stropping (I still finished mine by hand on a 800 grit diamond stone but only 2 to 3 minutes each).
For the money very good value but whoever is doing the final assembly is letting Draper down badly, I shouldn't have had to rebuild this myself before being able to use it.

Louis Armstrong's New Orleans
Louis Armstrong's New Orleans
by Thomas David Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have every read bar non, 13 Aug. 2012
This is without doubt the best book I have ever read on Jazz and social history and may well be the best book I ever read about anything!!!

The clarity with which the arguments and observations are laid out and brought forward through the book is incredible. There will never be a better book written about Jazz. PERIOD

Yours sincerely

Jon Wild

The Fortress of Solitude
The Fortress of Solitude
by Jonathan Lethem

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn..., 30 Mar. 2005
I totally agree with the first reviewer, I hated this book, right up to the last page I was trying to "get into it" and even then I was expecting some magnificent "pulling together of threads" that just didn't happen.
What is worse, the book is littered with clumsily disguised ideas from other lives, other writing and other "stuff" that is just popular urban folk lore, some examples...
A soul singer who dies a lonely coke addict living with his father who used to be a preacher - what you mean like Marvin Gaye?
School yard block parties where the DJ has a Mohican - what you mean Africa Bambata? (and the description of the block party is ripped straight from "Hip Hop America" by Nelson George)
Most of the stuff about Graffiti you can get from "Style wars"
"The Funk Mob"? - What you mean Parliament Funkadelic??
Yes the "Fantastic Four" were the coolest super hero's and of coarse DC isn't cool (who wants to read about this childhood nonsense when they are 38? I don't! its irrelevant pop culture that has no significance or meaning (at least Lethem doesn't manage to inject any).
Like millions of other blokes Lethem is still kidding himself that knowing all this crap makes him extra cool or different - it doesn't, we all know it - the rest of us wouldn't be so daft as to imagine it will make an interesting book.
I can see why Nick Horny liked it, boring anorak wearing train spotters, the pair of them - grow up! nobody cares how many rare comics or records you owned 30 years ago.
If this is what the average bloke can come up with when they think they can write give me "chick-lit" - reading this book was a total waste of time

Heart Rate Monitor Guidebook to Heart Zone Training
Heart Rate Monitor Guidebook to Heart Zone Training
by Sally Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 11 Feb. 2005
I agree with the first review, some of the graphics and maths are unhelpful and would add that the whole tone of the book is too conversational / longwinded / informal (I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like but it's a bit like reading a self-help book when you don't feel you need one!).
That said, it would be uncharitable to give this anything less than five out of five, The book is probably unique and anybody engaged in any level of physical activity would benefit from reading it. I've been training at a variety of sports for almost 25 years and in the last week of changed so many unhelpful training habits thanks to this book: For example I feel I've stopped damaging myself and started shifting that last bit of fat that I've never been able to move previously. Sally's never going to win the Booker Prize for literature but this book is a monumental contribution to sports knowledge at every level of participation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock ya socks out ya shoes!�, 7 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
Without doubt one of the best funk records ever made AND one of the best live albums ever made. The CD "Trouble Funk Live" has a rawer feel but the monstrous thumping deep sound the band a achieve here and the degree of audience participation on "Live at London" make this hard to beat. It was originally shipped with a free 12" which had another 12 minute live master blaster on it.
You can't call yourself a funk fan until you own this LP and in my opinion you can't call yourself a music fan if this Lp doesn't move yo ass!
In the words of Trouble funk this will "Knock yoa socks out ya shoes!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock yoa socks out ya shoes!, 7 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
In the words of Trouble funk this will "Knock yoa socks out ya shoes!"

Page: 1 | 2