Profile for James Taylor > Reviews

Content by James Taylor

James Taylor

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Oxford Reading Tree Series (level 11, 12, 13) Collection By Roderick Hunt & David Hunt 18 Books Set
by Roderick Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical adventure meets sci fi - best ever educational lit for early school years, 3 Jun. 2017
For little boys especially, age 5 upwards, this is the best reading material I've ever found. It introduces a number of words that the age group would be less familiar with, expanding their vocabulary, along with offering grammatically well-formed sentences throughout.

The books have just the right balance of safety and danger, and Biff, Chip and Kipper have to travel through time to key historical moments in order to foil the Viran's plot to destroy history. This means the young reader will passively absorb much information while enjoying the stories.

About a month ago my boy wasn't reading much, but this has changed.

Pterostilbene - 50mg (60 Tablets)
Pterostilbene - 50mg (60 Tablets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 28 Jan. 2017
I'd not thought of this as a nootropic, but I've noticed an improvement in my memory since starting to take it.

Very prompt and reliable company who I've purchased from over several years.

Vivitar Vivicam X225 ( 10.1 MP,3 x Optical Zoom,2.4 -inch LCD )
Vivitar Vivicam X225 ( 10.1 MP,3 x Optical Zoom,2.4 -inch LCD )

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't touch with a bargepole, 27 Nov. 2016
This was meant to be expedited delivery but it took nearly a week to arrive, completely missing my daughter's birthday. Now it has finally arrived we find the pictures are very blurred and discoloured. My daughter is gutted and I am fuming.
To add insult to injury you have to print off a label in order to return this rubbish, which is hard without a printer.

Look Inside
Look Inside
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderful, 28 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Look Inside (Audio CD)
I heard this album years ago and remember enjoying it then, but lost the tape and forgot about it altogether until very recently when my band performed Mr PC. The piece jogged my memory of this long forgotten album, and I searched for it - thankfully I found it, and playing it again now I find I enjoy it more than ever. I read about Kenny Drew Jr - who, as well as being a superlative jazz musician, was also a classical pianist and has been described as one of the greatest sight-readers in the history of music. I was gutted when I read that he died a couple of years ago age 56. Here is the album I heard years ago, and yes, it's the work of one of the greatest musicians in history - technical brilliance, harmony, time, all incredible. And the music is so full of humanity and so touching at every moment. Kenny, the jazz world misses you.

Just listen to a couple of tracks and you'll see what I mean.

Maverick Ankle Cowboy Boot / Ring Strap
Maverick Ankle Cowboy Boot / Ring Strap
Price: £19.99 - £38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots - but you get what you pay for!, 5 Jan. 2016
These boots look great, feel great, and I love 'em, but they fall apart after approx three months. At the price they are I'm happy to buy more as and when I want them!

Playing Rhythm - Advanced rhythmics for all instruments: Polyrhythmics in Jazz - Odd meters - Metric modulations - Rhythmic elasticity
by Francesco Villa

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent course, 26 Dec. 2015
This is a great book which covers many bases. It's got lots of exercises, which are all at quite an advanced level, but at the same time they are very well thought out and cover polyrhythms, odd meter etc. All in all this is a superb course that I have recommended to my jazz piano students. The author is obviously a teacher with lots of experience who has the ability to help students understand rhythm thoroughly - I'm a teacher myself so I don't give compliments like that unless they are earned!

The there are a number of concepts also outlined in the older book, Jerry Bergonzi's book, Melodic Rhythm, but the exercises in the latter book are less varied and less numerous. I would suggest using Villa's book as a prep course before looking at JB's book, which has a play along CD with demonstrations.In fact for all except musical geniuses I would push this (Villa's book) as an essential prep course.

If you want a better grasp of rhythm, this, Francesco Villa's book, is what I'd suggest you get! Oh yes, maybe invest in Jason Rebello's album 'Next time around' which has so many polyrhythms, odd meters etc, faultlessly played and so clean, and it's my fav album ever - if you can learn this theory material listening to music you love you can't go far wrong!

Make It Real
Make It Real

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Make It Real (Audio CD)
All of Jason Rebello's albums are (IMHO) exceptional, and this is no exception. It covers many bases, the first 6 tracks containing a lot of rap. At first take I was uncertain about this, but the Asian system of a syllabic approach to rhythm eventually clicked with me and I now see the rap as a good complement to the jazz piano.

I've also found this album to be great teaching material, both because young people seem to really enjoy this and because the solos are so well formed that they can be easily memorised, well, the simpler and shorter ones anyway, and then I can play them slowly for students who video me then learn from the video. I might even ask the great man himself if he'd mind my posting them on youtube so that other jazz students can enjoy them more.

The version of 'Summertime' is rather special, offering a really smoking sound - when I'm driving around on these hot summer days I feel so tempted to wear sunglasses and play it very loud with the windows down, although I don't think I could pull this off at my age. Apparently the school I teach at echoes with the album 24/7, so I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like it, although they probably become converted!

Cummon Jason, let's get some more albums out there!

Jazz Rainbow
Jazz Rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz for kids, 4 April 2015
This review is from: Jazz Rainbow (Audio CD)
Wonderful arrangements of children's tunes. It has sounds of his album 'Next Time Around' on some tracks, and a lot of Oscar Peterson type jazz. Having said this, the playing is, to my ear anyway, Oscar at his sweetest - nothing at crazy speed or very slow speed, just a wonderful set of grooves without the extremes.It's all very easy on the ear, and my son who is three-and-a-half must have asked for track two (Thomas the Tank Engine) at least 30 times in the first week.

To elaborate a little; track two starts off with drums, then bass, then piano, doing a wonderful impression of a steam train starting up. You have to hear this to understand. (I'll edit in that Thomas the tank has long been replaced by Spiderman, which is actually quite heavy listening for an adult, but a 3 year old seems to get caught up in the excitement of the music. The result is a 3 year old who loves jazz. Previously I'd thought that only adults with very sophisticated taste could 'get' this kind of music. The sequence he uses in the solo is actually a fast minor blues, as in Coltrane's 'Mr PC', and Jason's impro is, of course, unbelievably good (fantastic, amazing, whatever superlative you'd choose).

Big kids and small kids, if you love jazz you'll love this. And if you play jazz piano, the solos cover many styles from pre Oscar to post McCoy, also Teletubbies is a solid 7/8 to get into.

All appealing to the very young, yet right at the front of the jazz scene today.

Golden
Golden

5.0 out of 5 stars Great originals, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Golden (Audio CD)
It's worth getting this album for the first two tracks alone. Of Kit Downes's albums, this is my personal favourite.

Next Time Round
Next Time Round

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Rebello off the leash, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Next Time Round (Audio CD)
Those who know about jazz will know about Jason Rebello. This album has a lot of original compositions, some of which might be challenging listening the first few times, but once you've become more familiar with the sounds he uses you'll probably not want to listen to anything else for months afterwards.

If you play jazz piano this album is vital to your development. It's a modern classic.

He includes 'Jerusalem', which has moments that resemble Bill Evan's 'Piece Piece', although it is very definitely not a Bill Evan's pastiche. The title track 'Next Time Around' is my personal favourite, and the solo has the same intensity as Herbie Hancock's solo on 'New York Minute', which used to be my all time fav piano solo - I think it's a tie now.

If you love jazz go n buy it - you'll be glad you did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5