Profile for Darren Ferguson > Reviews

Content by Darren Ferguson

Darren Ferguson

VIBOX Sharp Shooter Water Cooled Desktop Gaming PC Package 10 - with WarThunder Game Bundle, 22" Monitor, Headset, Gamer Keyboard & Mouse (4.2GHz AMD FX Eight Core Processor, Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Graphics Card, 120GB Solid State Drive SSD, 2TB Hard Drive, 16GB RAM, Blue Gamer Case, No Operating System)
Price: £1,059.90

5.0 out of 5 stars VIBOX Sharp Shooter Package 10 FX-8350, 18 Feb. 2014
This review has its ups and downs and is a review of both the PC and the company as I've had to deal with them a few times in connection with this PC. I've had a few problems but I will explain why I still give them 5 stars near the end of the review.

The PC:-

The VIBOX custom case is extremely nice, well constructed and has a lot of expansion potential. 6 USB ports at the back of the case and another 3 on the top, front with 1 USB 3.0 connection available on both which is a nice touch. . It has a display in the front of the case which lets you know the PC's temperature, fan speed. time and how long you have been using it. I like the fact that the fans have a dust cover on them for easy removal and cleaning which shows the attention to detail VIBOX has made while having these cases designed. There is also a large fan on the transparent side of the case and a nice blue glow from the PC when you run it. It does generate a but of noise from the fans, but this is a gaming rig and it is not uncomfortably noisy. I have had to open the case to sort something out which I will go into later, but this gave me a chance to see how well put together it is. Inside they have left plenty of space to expand and all wires are very tidy and on the whole very professionally constructed. Its fast, plenty of storage space and a LOT of memory to boot. I was kind of lost what to do with 32GB of memory, but if you have a favourite game you like to play regularly then try using RAM Drive software and run your game from there, its an experience.

Ok now to the problems that I've had.

Firstly I experiences problems with the monitor that came with the PC, which would flicker and later on developed a purple discolouring in the bottom centre of the screen. I cannot blame VIBOX for this as the monitor is from AOC and is shipped already boxed and sealed from the manufacturers. I was not sure if it was the memory or the monitor was the problem at first as I was experiencing problems the USB ports failing during bootup, which turned out to be the USB wifi dongle that came with the PC. VIBOX offered me a few options to find out what the problem was, which included returning the PC to them for testing. Not wanting to pack it up again then wait for its return, I decided to trouble shoot it myself with advice on how to go about it by VIBOX. I ran a complete memory check on each individual stick and found no problems. The discolouring of the monitor happened not long after this. Would have saved me some time if it happened earlier, but, ah well. I am in the process of getting a replacement from AOC as we speak so no harm done as I have a main monitor of my own anyway.

After using the PC for a while I noticed that it had a slightly lower spec video card in than the one I had ordered. The only way I noticed this was when I checked the clock speeds in Catalyst Control Panel. The PC ran very fast as it was, but I did order it with an emphasis on the specific card. I got in touch with VIBOX and they said they would change it. I was happy to remove the card and they arranged for it to be picked up and sent me a new card. The whole turn around was fast. Now, I received my card yesterday and it turned out to be the same kind of card, just a different make which was disappointing. I called VIBOX and they apologised and have arranged to have the card picked up today and send out the new one as soon as they receive it.They even offered me a copy of Battle Field 4 for the inconvenience.

So, after reading of the problems that I have had I'm sure your wondering why I gave them 5 stars?

Problems and mistakes happen. What defines the company you deal with is how they deal with the problem and as far as VIBOX goes they are by far the best company I have had to deal with. They are professional, fast and deal with your queries in an extremely timely manner.

So to sum it up. A great PC for the price and extremely well build with an excellent support team behind them to help out if things go wrong, and as far as I'm concerned, in this area the are SECOND TO NONE ;)