Profile for stef > Reviews

Content by stef

stef

Black + Decker KS1500LK 240V 1500W 65mm Laser Circular Saw  (Old Version)
Black + Decker KS1500LK 240V 1500W 65mm Laser Circular Saw (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Saw - Laser Guide a Fraction Out, 8 July 2013
This is a good quality saw, that's well packed, and does what it says it will. I've used it to build my work bench, and for various garden projects. My only slight failing for it was that on my specific saw the laser guide is ever so slightly out, and therefore for precision work I have to take a little more care.

Bosch PEX 270 AE 220 Watt Random Orbital Sander  (Old Version)
Bosch PEX 270 AE 220 Watt Random Orbital Sander (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Compact Sander, 8 July 2013
I've used this for a variety of projects now and always found it to deliver. It's fairly powerful and has easily changed sanding discs. As it's fairly lightweight I could also use it for a long time, which is handy when having to hold it up at shoulder level for example, like sanding walls down.

All in all it has performed very well for the jobs I needed it for (sanding down polyfiller, workbench, outdoor planters). I wouldn't recommend it for heavy duty sanding, but for anything else it should do well.

Bosch AHS 52 Accu Cordless Hedgecutter (52 cm Blade) 2 x 14.4 Volt NiCD Batteries (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware Hedges!, 8 July 2013
I bought this to tackle my 3 hedges; a 15m 7ft leylandi, a 4m coniasta, and another 3m leylandi. I can get all 3 done on 1 battery charge, and as it comes with 2 batteries you can always have 1 on charge to take over if needs be.

The biggest pluses are that it's light, very quick to get going (obviously), and very simple to use. I've nothing negative to say about it other than for a large garden it probably wouldn't be up to scratch. Anything more than 40m or so of hedge and your pushing your luck using both batteries.

Swift Rotary Apple Peeler
Swift Rotary Apple Peeler
Offered by CN tip-top

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Light Work of an Apple, 8 July 2013
This is a great little gizmo that will slice, peel and core your apples. My wife finds it useful as she has delicate front teeth and has to cut her apples up before eating. The only downside is you can't do 1 thing with out doing the other 2, for example peel and core but not slice.

10 Pocket Double Leather Tool Belt
10 Pocket Double Leather Tool Belt
Offered by HD TEC LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy!, 8 July 2013
I didn't want to spend silly money on something I wasn't certain I needed and it turned out I didn't need to. I got this for about £11 from memory and I think it's an excellent buy.

I'm a DIY enthusiast and find it very helpful to have all the small tools needed to hand. This has enough pockets for most things and is good enough quality to last.

Very happy customer!

Bahco CS150 150mm Combination Square
Bahco CS150 150mm Combination Square

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Tool to Have, 8 July 2013
It's a good quality product for the price. Only slight downside for me was that 1 end hadn't been cut straight. However, it hadn't been cut through the units of measurement so still did the job required.

BAVARIAN TYROLEAN HAT BROWN WITH WHITE FEATHER YELLOW RIBBON OKTOBERFEST
BAVARIAN TYROLEAN HAT BROWN WITH WHITE FEATHER YELLOW RIBBON OKTOBERFEST
Offered by I LOVE FANCY DRESS

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitted the Bill, 8 July 2013
I bought this to go to the Oktoberfest pub in London with a few friends. It was surprisingly good quality for the money (£5ish), though obviously don't expect amazing things, it's still only a fiver after all.

It's also quite durable. It survived a night of good drinking (as expected at Oktoberfest) unscathed and is still in 1 piece a year later!

jQuery: Novice to Ninja
jQuery: Novice to Ninja
by Earle Castledine

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Get to Grips With, 8 July 2013
I've been using this book for a couple of months now and I've found it extremely helpful. As a web designer / developer for much of my time it's great to come across a book that can introduce a language that's new to me with ease.

I'd never really used jQuery before and only dabbled with a little CSS but this book has introduced it clearly and generically. Most books will have you go down a forced route or project to get you into an example as quickly as possible and hope you learn through practice rather than reading. However, this conveniently does both. It offers small examples with each part as well as looking to apply them all to a over-arching larger example. However, this isn't a 'must complete' project with steps 1 to 100 to finish, it's simply putting everything into an easy to follow context.

In terms of who should use this book I would suggest that the first few chapters would be wasted on the intermediate / advanced user. As for beginners, it would be good to have some programming knowledge beforehand, primarily HTML, as a lot of the initial concepts are explained using HTML examples.

Silverline 868498 Quick Clamp Heavy Duty, 600 mm
Silverline 868498 Quick Clamp Heavy Duty, 600 mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good clamp - does what's needed, 8 July 2013
I've used this clamp for a couple of jobs now and it's been great. It slides easily and grips well. The clamp ends are also fairly good and can handle the pressure applied, unlike a couple I've come across in the past that seem to just break.

My only draw back regarding my purchase was that I had it on my wish list and someone bought at £14 I think, which seems a little pricey, though obviously the prices vary a fair amount on Amazon. Still a good quality product though.