Profile for K Wren > Reviews

Content by K Wren
Top Reviewer Ranking: 32

K Wren "K Wren" (Welsh borders)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 30 ml
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 30 ml
Price: 23.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Light but long-lasting, fruity-floral with warm coconut base, 27 July 2016
I like this scent. To my nose, it’s a light, summery fruity floral scent with peony and jasmine highlights, a twist of grapefruit above a heavier base of vanilla touched by a hint of coconut. Although described as opening ‘ with Lady Apple Sorbet and Mara Strawberry blended beautifully with Pink Grapefruit’ I noticed the fruity-theme was more prominent when sniffing the bottle and immediately after spraying onto my skin when the grapefruit was easy to identify. Once it had been on my skin for a few minutes, the citrus hues faded and, for me, the peony-jasmine and coconut-vanilla seemed more dominant.

As an eau de parfum I found it long-lasting without being overpowering or sneeze-inducing and it remained potent for about 5 hours: a single spray at 6pm lasted to about 11pm and at mid-day the following day, ie 18 hours later, I could still smell it on my wrists. The fragrance changes during wear and I noticed the citrus faded probably within the first 30 minutes, then the floral notes followed as the hours passed and the vanilla became more prominent along with the coconut and were still present, with light fruity-floral hints, +18 hours later.

As a +50 year old and a non-follower of Katy Perry, this perfume probably isn’t targeted at me. However, I also have the earlier ‘Mad Potion’ version which I loved and this follows close behind although, whereas ‘Mad Potion’ has a stronger floral bias, this ‘Mad Love’ veers more towards the fruity and vanilla. With a different name, I think this could also be repacked and targeted at the older wearer too.

Presentation is fair: a white cardboard box with an embossed glossy pink heart on the front together with a black arrow motif which is carried through to the opaque pink bottle with grey marble pattern ball-top, a similar design to the earlier ‘Mad Potion’ fragrance.

Like other ‘celeb’ perfumes, I feel this is overpriced but for anyone who loves the smell, teenage, young adult, middle-aged or beyond then price can be less of an issue and considering a single spray will last for hours then it could be considered good value. Perfume choice is always a very individual matter and what smells good on one person can smell very different on another making it an even more personal product.

I would say that, regardless of your age, if you like light, ‘pink’ fruity florals, jasmine and vanilla then this is probably one for you regardless of any links with Katy Perry!

Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 100 ml
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 100 ml
Price: 38.50

Presentation is fair: a white cardboard box with an embossed glossy pink heart on the front together with a black arrow motif which is carried through to the opaque pink bottle with grey marble pattern ball-top, a similar design to the earlier ‘Mad’ fragrance.

Santic Women's Cycling Bicycle Underwear Shorts 3D Padded
Santic Women's Cycling Bicycle Underwear Shorts 3D Padded
Offered by Santic Sports
Price: 22.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-comfy, high-quality cycling under-shorts, 27 July 2016
Although looking a little odd in my underwear drawer, these are super-comfy when out on my bike where, after a few miles, even my gel-saddle becomes a little uncomfortable.

They are made from a quality, hard-wearing and very stretchy polyester fabric with a 27mm wide strongly elasticated waistband and comfortable, spongy 10mm thick cushioned pad.

Regarding their fit, I don’t quite match Santic’s standard size chart: I am a UK size 12, 52kg, 5’9” with 27” waist and 36” hips. Probably the large size would have fitted but I erred on the side of caution and ordered XL and am very pleased with the fit. They are so stretchy that they would easily accommodate a range of sizes from my size 12 through to size 14 and might even stretch to a size 16 at most.

Compared with sitting directly on the saddle, it is like sitting on a cushion of air and, towards the end of a day ride, or even after just a few hours, I no longer find myself shifting around on the saddle trying to get comfortable. They are also discreet to wear and can be worn under either general daily clothing such as ordinary jeans, shorts or joggers or under cycling clothing without being obvious. They didn’t become hot and sweaty during my bike rides, even on warm, muggy July days with high humidity.

My only suggestion for future improvement would be to make the cushioned pad wider a the rear and a little shorter for an even better fit. This suggestion is not a criticism because they are already very comfortable but I feel this small improvement would make Santic’s already 5-star shorts even better!

NB The blue pad is worn on the inside. I've included photos of the shorts worn inside-out to illustrate the anatomy of the pad!

I received discounted shorts in exchange for a fair, honest, objective and unbiased review following examining and testing them while out cycling.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SMARTFLY P104 New Fitness Monitor Fitness Tracker 3d Multifunctional Pedometer Step Calories Walking Speed Monitor Passometer
Offered by V-FUN
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars +99.97% accurate pedometer: well-designed and easy to use, 27 July 2016
This pedometer arrives well presented in a branded box set within a foam-inlay providing protection in transit, together with a fitted CR2032 battery plus a spare (a generous surprise), instruction leaflet and a very useful strap complete with a clip. I always like to see these because not all clothing is equipped with belt loops to loop it around making it at risk of falling out of a pocket. The clip, although small, is strong and provides reassurance.

Setup took just a few minutes although it actually took me a few goes to work out how the buttons functioned: after installing or replacing the battery, press the RESET button when 12H/24H will flash. Then press the MODE button to set the time. The instructions omit to say that that time is selected by pressing the RESET button which also acts as a down-arrow button (despite being labelled with an upwards arrow) which isn’t quite as intuitive as I’d expect. However, once you’ve set the pedometer once and realised that the settings count down for time and step size but count upwards for setting your weight, then it’s quick and easy to set up.

In terms of performance, I found the pedometer to be completely accurate. While on a stroll which included some steps and uneven surfaces, I counted my first 150 steps then checked the pedometer to discover it had recorded exactly 150 steps. Then, while out walking with our local walking group I popped it into my right pocket and kept my very old but trusty Omron pedometer in my left pocket. At the end of a +3 hour ramble across overgrown fields and footpaths, there was a discrepancy of just 3 steps in 8435/8438 steps. Obviously, one pedometer is very slightly out but I can live with an error of 0.03% and accuracy of 99.97%. I continued to wear the pedometer daily for a week and had consistently accurate recordings.

The pedometer also records the distance walked in KM, calories burned and walking speed and time spent walking – all useful stats which can also act as an incentive to increase exercise and activity.

Unlike the old-fashioned pedometers which features a clicking pendulum and had to be fitted carefully to a waistband in order to be accurate, this uses a sensor so can be dropped into a trouser or jacket pocket or even a shoulder bag and still accurately senses movement and counts steps when walked in a reasonably steady rhythm, but it also accurate when taking shorter steps to fight your way through overgrown foliage. It should not be worn while using transport, cycling or jogging because this could lead to inaccurate and mis-recorded steps due to transport vibrations.

Apart from not being quite intuitive to set up as some pedometers I have used, this trivial quibble cannot detract from its well-earned 5-star rating and it is a pedometer I would recommend for daily wear or more serious walking and hiking.

I received a complimentary pair of gloves in exchange for a fair, honest and unbiased review following examining and testing it.

Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml
Price: 23.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Light but long-lasting, warm fruity-floral with rich coconut base, 27 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Comment Comment | Permalink

Professional Dog Nail Clippers by Arrow Pets, for Medium and Large Breeds, with Safety Guard, Stainless Steel Blades and Soft-Grip Handles
Offered by Store & Supply
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality nail clippers for RABBITS - not just for dogs and cats!, 27 July 2016
I have 12 large-breed French Lop and Continental Giant rabbits which equates to a lot of claws to cut, particularly in the summer when they spend their days on softer grass and tend not to wear them down quickly.

Although these clippers are aimed at dogs and cats, they are good for large-breed rabbits too. Simply pop the nail through the open clipper, apply light pressure on the claw just to be absolutely certain you’re not cutting too close to the quick which is harder to see on dark nails, then close fully. I’ve used many pairs of guillotine-style clippers but found these the easiest of them all to use thank to their spring which made them quick to use but also their green soft silicone-rubber outer. This is especially easy to grip, especially in our current warm and humid weather where sweaty hands makes it harder to grip anything. Within just a few minutes, each bun had enjoyed, rather than endured, a compete pedicure and manicure which was probably their fastest ever because each cut was perfect every time giving a consistently clean cut and no need for any second attempts. Now they are happily hopping around and digging in dry dirt.

The clippers are good quality made from stainless steel with comfortable non-slip, soft-grip handles, a safety guard to avoid the risk of over-cutting dog/cat nails (not really needed for rabbits) and a clip to hold the clippers closed when not in use.

I am most impressed and can confidently say that in 42 years of cutting rabbits’ claws, these are the easiest and best, sharpest and most comfortable I have used and I would highly recommend them to other large-breed rabbit owners.

I received a complimentary pair of clippers in exchange for a fair, honest and unbiased review following examining, using and testing them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Newcare Digital Refrigerator Freezer Room Thermometer Waterproof Portable with Hook White
Offered by justmysportuk
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good thermometer for fridge, freezer, home.... easy to read with clear display, 26 July 2016
As a trained food handler, I’m very careful about maintaining an accurate fridge and freezer temperature at home and have used a thermometer for about the last 20 years. But.... these thermometers are the ‘old fashioned’ type: one is metal with a dial which frosts over making it impossible to read without removing it from the freezer to scratch the ice off – by which time the temperature reading is invalid; my other is a traditional mercury thermometer set within a plastic casing but it doesn’t fit well, can move 5mm up or down and it’s anyone’s guess regarding when it is actually correctly aligned with the printed scale.

This thermometer overcomes all of the problems of my older thermometers: it has a plastic casing, can either sit on or hang from a shelf so it measures the true air temperature (rather than the temperature of anything it is in direct contact with), it has a clear display in either C or F together maximum and minimum readings. This is very useful as it records fluctuations such as drawing attention to a power cut for example.

The display is very clear and easy to read and it’s actually not just for fridges or freezers because it can measure temperatures from -20C up to 50C. In addition to using it in my fridge, freezer, campervan fridge and coolbox, while typing this review it has also been monitoring the room temperature of my office.

I am very impressed with it, primarily as a fridge/freezer thermometer but also as a general and multi-purpose thermometer and, although I was sent a free sample in exchange for a fair, honest and unbiased reviews, I can see myself easily ordering a further three because they are so good, accurate and versatile.

Rose & Co Number 84 Duo Tartlette Set Gift Set
Rose & Co Number 84 Duo Tartlette Set Gift Set
Offered by Solretail LTD
Price: 5.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality luxurious treat or gift., 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an attractively presented set of two ‘tartlets’ designed as fondant cupcakes with a swirly design topped with a flower and sprinkling of glitter.

I have never previous seen, used or heard of ‘tartlets’ so was a little curious. I would best describe them as an update on the old traditional bath cubes but whereas bath cubes had a texture more reminiscent of dishwasher tablets, these melt into a rather more luxurious and moisturising creamy bath addition. Their fragrance direct from the packaging smells a little over-powering to my sensitive nose and rather synthetic, but this changes once the tartlet is dropped into the bath water whereupon it melts producing a fresh, warm floral scent which also delicately fragranced our bathroom and adjacent hallway.

There is no doubting they are expensive at the current price of 7 for two, ie 3.50 per bath but could be considered an indulgent luxury for a special occasion or treat for yourself, would make an ideal gift or a prize in a local raffle/tombola.

They are good quality, attractively package and hand-made so each will be a little different making them unique.

Just one observation however, the glitter sprinkles floated on the surface of my bathwater and I emerged with some in my hair. Just be aware of this if, like me, you occasionally sink beneath your bathwater!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hiday Ultra Lightweight Packable Travel Backpack Hiking Daypack +Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Novawo-UK
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed backpack which folds into its internal pocket, 25 July 2016
Length:: 5:26 Mins

This is a well-made and well-designed backpack which folds into its own internal pocket for ease of carrying when not required to carry a load. Made from ripstop-polyester fabric, it is lightweight but strong, durable and showerproof.

Its 19x12x5cm pouch weighing just 195g opens out into a 40x30x12cm daypack which will easily carry a day’s provisions including full set of packaway waterproofs, compact camera, lunch, flasks and other provisions in the main pocket while each of the elastic-topped mesh pockets on the side of pack will hold a 500ml water bottle. A further 22x20cm pocket to the front of the backpack is handy for carrying small items while the original pouch into which the backpack folds, can be turned inside-out to create and internal 20x14cm zipped security pocket. This is ideal for carrying keys, a purse/wallet or other small valuables and ensures they are both safe and don’t fall to the bottom of the pack.

To the rear are the lightweight mesh shoulder straps which are fully adjustable and a grab handle/hanging loop sits at the top.

It’s a good backpack for casual use – walking, cycling, outings, school use or even for smaller shopping trips. It’s easy to carry when not in use and will unfold in less than a minute to create a good-sized backpack when required making it very versatile and very practical. A good buy.

I received a complimentary backpack in exchange for a fair, honest and unbiased review following examining and testing it.

Portable Folding Waterproof Backpack Outdoor Hiking Camping Bag - Orange, 0.45cm
Offered by STK e-Shop
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, practical daypack which folds into its internal pouch pocket, 25 July 2016
Length:: 5:26 Mins