Profile for M. W. Ellwood > Reviews

Content by M. W. Ellwood

M. W. Ellwood "mwellwood" (Abingdon, GB)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Ancheer Adult/Teen Kick Scooter City Urban Commuter Street Push Scooter- Easy-Folding, Dual Suspension, Aluminum Alloy Frame, Adjustable T Handlebar, 2 Rubber Wheels, Supports 220lbs Weight (Black)
Offered by Ancheer EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed, although it has some good points. Think of this as 3.5 stars. (re-post after review deleted!), 4 Jun. 2017
Well well well, the review I wrote the other day and which was online seems to have disappeared....surprise surprise, it wasn't a glowingly positive one. Anyway, here it is again:

Frankly I'm a little suspicious of all the glowing reviews here, if my scooter is anything to go by. I don't hate it, but I don't love it like I was expecting to (and hoping to, actually).

The first problem was that almost all the screws/nuts were loose on the scooter that I was sent, something that no other reviewer has mentioned, so was I just unlucky? But even when I'd tightened up everything that seemed to need tightening, I found that the handlebars (even when "locked" into place with the pins) were loose, i.e. there was "play" in them of at least 1/4" up and down and side to side, and even to some extent in a twisting direction. This was quite disconcerting at first, although one kind of gets used to it. It doesn't seem right though.

I've only used it in the dry (it's been very dry recently), and even so, I'd say the brake is not up to much.

If, like me, you are used to cycling, you will be surprised by the unforgiving nature of this scooter when it comes to balance errors: there is next to no margin for error, and it would be easy to take a tumble. The best thing is to be ready to jump off at a second's notice of impending trouble (like being stopped short when going over a stone, or hitting an unexpected uneven paving stone.

Better to jump off and possibly look like a Charlie with one's pride hurt, than be on the floor with one's body hurt.

One of the problems (for a cyclist anyway) is that the small wheel (and this is still a small wheel scooter as far as I'm concerned) doesn't have anywhere near the same inertia as a rotating full-sized cycle wheel, and therefore much less stability. This takes some getting used to.

To be fair, it does have some plus points compared to a bike:

It's easy to manoeuvre in small spaces
It's easy to lean it somewhere if you need to stop and start a lot (like I've been doing recently) even without the kickstand. It will lean very well, for example, against a kerb, with little effort or expertise, compared with a bike.
Very easy to get on and off.

And generally, it goes quite well on smooth, level surfaces.

It's hard work uphill (as expected), and useless on loose stones (as expected ), and useless on grass (even dry grass on firm dry soil) (as half expected).

Actually, I'd like to give this 3.5 stars: 3 is too low, and 4 is too high.

I wouldn't say don't buy it, but if you do, be prepared that the reality may not live up to the impression that the glowing reviews give.

I should add that although I'm 24 lbs lighter than the maximum load for this scooter, I still feel that I'm far too heavy for it.
If I could lose another 2-2.5 stone (which I would like to do anyway), I might get on a bit better with it.

My top tip if approaching an uneven surface (like the edge of an uneven paving stone) is to relax the grip on the handlebars, and also take most of the weight off the handlebars. In fact, with practice, you can almost "lift" the handlebars (and therefore the front wheel) over the uneven edge.
If it's a large unevenness, it's better to quickly put your weight on your scooting foot, and help the front wheel over the "bump" - a kind of bunny-hop.

One more thing in its favour: the suspension (front and rear) is quite good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(And I notice that an even more negative review by someone else has also gone. Very suspicious).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2017 7:46 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed, although it has some good points. Think of this as 3.5 stars., 4 Jun. 2017

To be fair, it does have some plus points compared to a bike:

It's easy to manoeuvre in small spaces
Very easy to get on and off.

And generally, it goes quite well on smooth, level surfaces.

Actually, I'd like to give this 3.5 stars: 3 is too low, and 4 is too high.

One more thing in its favour: the suspension (front and rear) is quite good.

Source Naturals L-Proline Powder (113.4g Vegetarian)
Source Naturals L-Proline Powder (113.4g Vegetarian)
Offered by NUTRITION 53

4.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to clump rather, in the container., 30 April 2017
Seemed to clump rather, in the container.

I've used quite a few different supplement powders in the past, e.g. l-ascorbic acid and l-lysine.

This was the first time I'd bought proline and wasn't sure what to expect. I assume it must be fairly hygroscopic, as it tends to clump and stick together, making it a bit difficult to put in capsules (with or without l-ascorbic acid, which is what I would like to mix it with.

Also it doesn't dissolve in water as well as l-ascorbic acid or l-lysine.

I'm not sure if it was just the batch I got, or just this particular brand, or what. It came with a packet of dessicant, and I added another packet of dessicant which I happned to have, to the container. I think that's helped a bit.

However, I've re-ordered (partly as I can't see another brand of powder (as opposed to tablets) available).

Nye: The Political Life of Aneurin Bevan
Nye: The Political Life of Aneurin Bevan
by foreword by Neil Kinnock Nicklaus Thomas-Symonds

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating biography of a fascinating man., 17 Mar. 2017
Very good. Better written than the same author's bio of Clement Attlee.

A fascinating biography of a fascinating man, whose life was cut far too short. He was a veteran of the Attlee government, as well as Labour politics before and during the war. He was brave enough to oppose Churchill on many issues during the war. (He remained outside the coalition government).

A man of principle, who could also sometimes compromise on certain issues, for which he was criticised by what I would dare to call lesser men.
Harold Wilson used to be a "Bevanite", but seemed to desert that cause when it didn't seem to lead anywhere. It would have been fascinating to see which of the two would have got the upper hand in the 1960s, if Bevan had not died in 1960.

Astaxanthin Tablets | 8mg Supplements for Joint Health & Fatigue | Oxford Vitality ®
Offered by Oxford Vitality

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived in good time, as always from Oxford Vitality. Will buy again., 17 Mar. 2017
Arrived in good time, as always from Oxford Vitality. Will buy again.

Will probably buy larger quantity next time.

It's too early to say if they are helping, but I wasn't expecting good effects to kick in for at least a couple of weeks.

The only slightly negative thing is that the tablets are large, and because of the texture of them, sometimes I need several goes at swallowing them. Slightly warmed water helps, and sometimes swallowing them "sideways" helps (counter-intuitively). You can cut them in two, but then there is a danger of them fragmenting.

Because of the taste and smell,, I'm happy to accept that they are from an authentic natural source.

Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium 240 Tablets
Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium 240 Tablets
Offered by Sunshine Wellness

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better forms of supplemental magnesium, 17 Mar. 2017
I am sure this is one of the better forms of supplemental magnesium. I also take Epsom Salts baths, but I'm not totally convinced you get enough Mg that way, so I felt the need for supplementing as well.

I certainly don't get any laxative or other GI issues with it.

I cannot say 100% whether it is helping with long-term health, but most health and nutrition writers seem to agree that most people are deficient, and as it is vitl in so many ways, it seems sensible to supplement.

I can testify that it seems to help in giving more restful sleep, occasionally with vivid dreams, and seems to have reduced my frequency of bad headaches, although curiously, I do sometimes wake up with a vague headache-y feeling that usually goes away if I can get out and move around in the fresh air. That may have nothing to do with these supplements though.

If any chemists/biochemists can comment: I'm still not sure of the difference between this "chelated" form of magnesium glycinate (plus the lysinate), and other supplements which just call themselves magnesium glycinate. I thought that if an element like Mg reacted with an acid like glycine (or lysine), then the result was a salt, i.e. the glycinate (or the lysinate), and this itself was the "chelation". So what is the "added magic" this this form (or is it just marketing hype...?).

Attlee: A Life in Politics
Attlee: A Life in Politics
by Nicklaus Thomas-Symonds

4.0 out of 5 stars Workmanlike, but dull., 12 Feb. 2017
Workmanlike, but dull.

I should say that I recommend people read this book, despite my title and only 4 stars.
It contains pretty much all that I could have expected it to contain, about Attlee the man and his politics, and what I was particularly interested in, the 1945-1951 governments, and why the 2nd government came to an end quite so prematurely. I had always wondered about that. People say they "ran out of steam", but based on this book, I don't think that's true. Attlee himself could certainly have gone on (he lived until 1967). It's true that they had lost Cripps and Bevin, but they had rising stars like Wilson and I suppose I have to say Gaitskell (although I am not a fan).

It seems inexplicable now that Attlee decided to time his 1951 election based on the whim of the King, but at heart, he was a conservative monarchist, as well as being (at least in certain respects) a radical socialist. If they could have delayed the election by only a year or two, things might have turned out very differently.

I was born within the Attlee government era, just in time to benefit from the new NHS (which probably saved my life as I had meningitis as a baby), and I have always wanted to know more about that period. This book leaves me wanting to know more, but it's a good-ish start.

I managed to read it in several long sittings over 2 days, but a more skillfully written book could probably have been read in a single sitting.

It does leave out some important things, such as the beginnings of the nuclear power programme (which ultimately could have reduced their reliance on coal). I would also like to see an unbiased history that focused on the economic questions, and discussed options that they had but which they did not choose to implement (or just did not think of ). I'm sure there were such options. After all, Japan and Germany were also devastated by war, but eventually both bounced back, and produced economic and industrial booms, much more successfully than we did. What did they do right that we did wrong? (I partially know the answer to that question, but I'd like to know more).

Magnesium Bisglycinate 500 mg Tablets - Pack of 180 Tablets
Magnesium Bisglycinate 500 mg Tablets - Pack of 180 Tablets

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed with all the fillers/binders to be honest. (hence one star taken off), 3 Jan. 2017
Bit disappointed with all the fillers/binders to be honest. I was excited when I discovered that Mg-glycinate was a very bio-available form, and intrigued by the bis-glycinate.

However, I wonder how available it can be in its "rock-like" form, stuck together with these binders? And like some others, I found it difficult to swallow. However, I notice someone said that it dissolves in the mouth and is then easy to swallow - haven't tried that yet. (And if it's really dissolving in the mouth, then it will certainly dissolve in stomach acid).

I'd still rather not have the fillers/binders though.

Does anyone know whether this compound is available as a pure powder/crystals that one could put into gelatin capsules? (I have no trouble swallowing "00" capsules).

I'm hoping for blood pressure and bone health benefits, but if I also get the advantages others have mentioned (e.g. fewer headaches, etc), I will be well pleased.

I will try to update this review after more experience with the product.

The Joy of Tax
The Joy of Tax
by Richard Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, but I'm in two minds about it., 16 Dec. 2016
This review is from: The Joy of Tax (Paperback)
Worth reading, but I'm in two minds about it.

I agree with his analysis, which is essentially the same as Modern Monetary Theory, which he refers to several times.

However, his solutions rather overdo taxation, IMHO. He sees everything through the prism of taxation, which is not surprising, considering the title of the book. Most other MMT gurus (e.g. Wray, Bill Mitchell, Warren Mosler), take a simpler view of tax, and say they would like to get rid of some taxes which Richard Murphy is quite fond of.

RM, while on the one hand agreeing with MMT that a government with a sovereign currency does not _"need"_ the income from taxation in order to finance its spending, then goes on to detail as many ways of collecting it as he can think of.

I know that Richard is on the side of justice and equality, but I think those aims could be achieved in a simpler way than RM's prescriptions.
Other MMT gurus would agree that taxation is important - not for revenue, but for several other good reasons, one of which is a potential control over inflation. But I don't think they, or I, think it needs to play such a big part as it seems to do in Richard Murphy's world view.

I would like to give this 3.5 stars, or 7/10, but the system doesn't allow that. 3 is too few, so I will be "generous" and give it 4.

I wanted to like this book more than I actually did.
Nevertheless, I think everyone should read it.

The Larry Sanders Show: Complete Season Two [DVD]