Profile for Old Salt > Reviews

Content by Old Salt

Old Salt (Valencia, Spain)

Beryl, Fred and a Dog called Ted: Around Spain in a Camper Van
Beryl, Fred and a Dog called Ted: Around Spain in a Camper Van
by Fred Pedley

1.0 out of 5 stars A total waste of trees!, 22 July 2016
How this travesty ever got published beats me. It is a piece of garbage. It lends ammunition to all those Guardianistas who think that we, Brits who live in Spain, are a lot of morons. A total waste of money and time. I still haven't decided whether it is meant to be funny or if the couple think that this is the way to behave in ANY country, never mind a foreign one. It has one good thing going for it - it is very short. Never again!

Dream Repairman: Adventures in Film Editing
Dream Repairman: Adventures in Film Editing
by Jim Clark

4.0 out of 5 stars A view from the cutting-room, 24 Feb. 2012
Having spent 12 years, firstly as a Film Editor and latterly as a Video Editor, I enjoyed the book a lot. However, unless you have a professional interest and/or a film buff's interest you may be less than impressed I think. As the author says in the Foreword it is not a book to read if you are in search of gossip/anecdotes. There is no scandal - no saucy stories. But as an account of one man's life in the Film industry it is quite interesting. To me though it is not a book that I am likely to re-read. I am sure a couple of hours with the Author over a few pints in the Pub would be quite fascinating. (By the way I am not Rita but Rita's husband. My wife doesn't drink pints.) :>)

Otto Rahn and the Quest for the Holy Grail: The Amazing Life of the Real "Indiana Jones"
by Nigel Graddon

2.0 out of 5 stars My most disappointing book this year, 24 Oct. 2010
I have been an avid reader of books to do with the Cathars, the Grail, Rennes-le-Chateau etc for about 30 years. So I looked forward to the arrival of this book - particularly as I had read books by Otto Rahn in the past.

I have to say I was greatly disappointed by it. it rambles back and forth. It has no narrative structure to speak of. It puts the author`s hypotheses forward with hardly a shred of evidence to support them in many cases.

I have donated it to my local Charity Shop.