Profile for Adam R. Farmer > Reviews

Content by Adam R. Farmer

Adam R. Farmer "A R Farmer" (Bologna, Italy)

Necropolis: A Short Story (Progenitors Universe)
Necropolis: A Short Story (Progenitors Universe)

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this very much and would have written a review ..., 25 Feb. 2015
I enjoyed this very much and would have written a review at the time of purchase had I not been occupied by other things.

Okay, yes this is a short outing by Dan Worth, but for all that it is entertaining, and thought provoking, just enough questions remained with no answers for example.

Personally I would have liked this to have been longer, so as to get more attached to the characters, who are all well drawn, but regardless I found it a nice read.

In conclusion Dan Worth is a good author, I enjoyed the Progenitors very much, and cannot recommend this as an introduction to his writing highly enough.

Race for the Iron Throne: Political and Historical Analysis of "A Game of Thrones"

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential companion to the novels., 23 Oct. 2014
The fact that this commentary is almost as long as the novel itself is for me a wonderful testament to both the creativity of Martin and the sheer depth of Doctor Attewell's scholarship.

I followed, and am still following, Attewell on his blog and when I heard that this was to be released I was very happy, then I promptly didn't remember to order the book until now!

To have all the chapter by chapter analysis' together in one place is invaluable, and I do indeed recommend that you read these along with the novel itself, spoilers apply naturally, but the extra insight you get into the actions of the characters is fascinating.

But for me the best thing is the historical analysis, not only do you gain a deeper knowledge of the World of Ice and Fire but you also gain invaluable insight into the history of our own world.

Highly recommended, indeed I would say essential!

37 Days: The Countdown To World War 1 (BBC) [DVD]
37 Days: The Countdown To World War 1 (BBC) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McDiarmid

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended quality drama, 20 Oct. 2014
The centenary of the war has brought a rash of books and television commemorations. This series, long at 3 hours but never tedious, is to my mind one of the better productions.

The plot is the days between the sarejevo crisis and the beginning of hostilities and the excellent cast and stellar writing carry what could be a dry subject matter to the level of high drama.

I can highly recommend this quality drama from the BbC and would be very delighted if in a few years a similar show was released detailing the Versailles peace makers, a companion piece that would be an interesting bookend to the four years of remembrances.

The Calling (Endgame, Book 1)
The Calling (Endgame, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I just didn't enjoy it. I found the concept bizarre and the ..., 19 Oct. 2014
I just didn't enjoy it. I found the concept bizarre and the characterisation a little peculiar. Other reviewers have said that it should be read not as a novel but as a puzzle. Perhaps they are correct, but for me that is not what I look for in fiction.

On a more joyous note I can recommend The Final Testament of the Holy Bible by James Frey, infinitely better than this book.

J: A Novel
J: A Novel
by Howard Jacobson

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult but Important, don't be afraid!, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: J: A Novel (Hardcover)
J is a strange book both to read and review, it is not always intelligible but It always seems important.

Other reviewers have expanded on the plot so I will limit myself here to thematic and personal impressions. But initially I must agree with other reviewers that the novel suffers in comparison to the great Dystopia's 1984 and Brave New World, dystopia it may be, a great work of literature perhaps but it is too inaccessible to ever reach the heights of popularity or influence that those novels have.

This inaccessibility is perhaps due to the subject matter of the novel, the oppressed group, if it happened that they were oppressed, that is to say, the Jews, Jacobson writes convincingly on this subject but sadly I feel that it is hard to get the majority of readers to care. Traditionally it is has been, and still is acceptable, to demonise the jew as the "other", it is consequently hard to sell a book about the consequences of the demonization of the jew to the majority.

There are some wonderful and incredibly insights however, the idea of Twitternacht is one such example, and this is horrifyingly plausible, you only have to pop your head onto social media to see that anti-Semitism, often gathered up in the protective cloak of anti-Zionism, is still alive and well. Could a mass slaughter of jews, or any population happen today, in a modern and civilised society? Judging from the opinions and desires expressed on social media, yes, certainly. These are frightening times.

And that is in essence what novel is about, fear, conscious fear or unconscious fear. Fear invades the novel throughout, be it a general sense of unease, such as that of Aileann, a pathological terror like that of Kevern, the nameless dread of his parents, or the impotent fear of discovery. And fear is not a joyful subject to read about.

However I can highly recommend this novel and though it is a difficult read it should be read, and I confidently expect that in 20 or so years we will be seeing this book on the school curriculum.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 10:47 PM GMT

Waiting For The Barbarians
Waiting For The Barbarians
by J M Coetzee

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively Brief but with universal themes, 19 Oct. 2014
Tyranny thrives on the inactivity of the just, but the nature of tyranny is that the full weight of the state can be brought upon those who act against it.

Coetzee's novel is deceptively brief, for all its brevity he manages to fill the book with meaning and insight. A particular value to the novel is the universality of its themes, the book could have been set an any point in history, and in any place, rather than a veldt like frontier zone it could easily have been a customs post on the Wall of Hadrian.

The conflict theory of us and them is a common theme of literature but I think that Coetzee has given this a new and valuable insight in this novel. I can recommend it to you all.

The Wake: Man Booker Prize 2014 Longlist Edition
The Wake: Man Booker Prize 2014 Longlist Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 12 Sept. 2014
I really enjoyed this book, despite its odd language, which actually becomes more penetrable with practice

I would recommed howevrer people to buy the print rather than ebook version, despite the price difference, with the print version it is much easier to study the words without struggling with the electronic device, pencil notations are also a godsend!

Heresy
Heresy

5.0 out of 5 stars Received free on kimdle, would have happily paid!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Heresy (Kindle Edition)
I received this book gratis through a kindle promotion, but i would have gladly paid for it. The plot has been outlined elsewhere but i would just like to say that it develops magnificently and atmospherically, with a rising sense of unease. Very good, and will cheerfully seek out the others in the series.

A thinking mans da vinci code, in a good way, a laymans name of the rose also in a good way, it is more like the latter than the former and benefits from the association.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

2.0 out of 5 stars Good... but..., 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed it, but the writing got tiresome, the over use of certain phrases got repetitive.the characterisation was a little off, and what was with ending every other paragraph with a question? Would appeal to Weber fans, the story was intriguing but i am not sure i would read a sequel.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)

1.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book made me want to cry, 9 Aug. 2013
About the state of contemporary writing and the tasteless hive mentlity that affects so much of modern youth . Avoid like the plague.