Profile for SunshineGirl > Reviews

SunshineGirl

Bad Cook
Bad Cook

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Cook, Bad Book, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Bad Cook (Kindle Edition)
The first thing you need to know about Esther is that she's rich. Her family are rich, her husband's family are rich and her husband is rich. They're all minted. They all had good educations. They're rich. Have we all got that? Esther seems to think it's important that we know this as she tells us relentlessly.

She also has a very hard life. She doesn't have a job and has help with her baby but there's still plenty to complain over. Not least that there's loads of show biz parties that she oh so unwillingly gets dragged to. Oh and the endless shopping at Waitrose. This gets mentioned so often I imagine she gets all the stuff free, but it's still very hard on hard on poor Esther. Ooops, RICH Esther. But it's still very hard on her. Almost tragic in fact so she needs to complain, loud and often.

Anyway, lets move on to the recipies - which are all a bit vague and woolly but seem easy enough to follow. I dont know if I would go as far as calling this a cook book though as you'd need to be a fairly assured cook to be able to risk spending money on the ingredients and to be ok with the risk of having lousy results. Sadly too, they all come with a side serving of yet more moaning, shameless plugs for Waitrose and assorted middle class angst.

Lastly though, this entire 'book' is just a regurgitated version of the blog, which is free. I sincerely wish I'd not bothered to pay the £1.99 for it as I feel like I've been robbed. Maybe that's how you get to be as rich as Esther though - charging people for what's available free? Errr, you did KNOW she was rich, didn't you...?
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2014 8:04 PM BST

The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 24 April 2013
I bought this as a present for someone who was too polite to tell me that they gave up trying to read it. When I read it myself I found it to be historically inaccurate and really badly edited. It seems that no one did any fact checking so the author tries to pass off opinions as facts and to state personal theories as though they were proven practice. The chapters ramble a lot and dont seem to have any structure and the book itself doesn't so much come to a close as just peter out.

This Author must be thrilled to be getting a chance to cash in on the 'Downton' name but I suggest readers look elsewhere for a factual background.

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
by Ben Hatch

1.0 out of 5 stars Unmasked - the family with the ghastly children finally own up!, 12 Nov. 2012
You know how every time you try to enjoy something in the UK it's always ruined by a ghastly family with badly behaved children? This IS that family! Toddlers running amok and their parents apparently either too busy bickering to notice or happily amused by the fact that they're badly behaved children are ruining everyone elses enjoyment. The book is a boring processional of events and anecdotes and Frommers themselves must be horrified to have an author of theirs admit just how poorly researched their guides are.

The only time the book really catches light is when the author starts talking about his Father. He is a proper three dimensional character and the passages detailing his sad decline and terminal illness are beautifully written and truly moving. The rest? Dont waste your money.

No, It's Us Too!
No, It's Us Too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotes in search of an Editor..., 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: No, It's Us Too! (Kindle Edition)
I need to start by saying that this book was free, and yes, I appreciate that it's rude to look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Having said that though, although the book was free my time rarely is, and there are plenty of better free books out there on which to waste my precious and only rarely available spare time.

This is a collection of anecdotes but I can only assume that they were accepted for publication in the order they arrived as there really doesn't seem to have been any quality control. Some are dull, some couldn't even raise the merest shrug and some are so badly written as to be almost incomprehensible. I found myself desperately reading more and more and hoping for something funny, or at least amusing. Occasionally you get a gem - there were two which made me laugh till I cried - but most of the rest were pretty dull.

Overall, a bit of a shame. The good news though I guess is that Miranda's book and its hoped for humour will be twice as appreciated.

Jump!
Jump!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even worth one star!, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Jump! (Kindle Edition)
I've been a fan of Jilly Coopers novels since the days I had to sneak them past my watchful Mother! I used to love the handsome hero's and the wonderful heroines and thoroughly enjoy all their antics knowing that all would be right in the end. The right men would get with the right women to live happily ever after and all the baddies would get their comeuppance.
This, though, is just an unholy mess! I dragged myself through the pages desperately hoping it would take flight but it's a complete dud.
None of the hundreds of characters are particularly likeable and Etta, the main protagonist is beyond irritating. We're supposed to sympathise with her but I just wanted to tell her not to be so wet - frankly, she needs a good slap. Every few pages it seems there is another description of who is sitting where in a minibus to help us try to sort out who every one is but they're just too dull to read. The rape of a child happens with no consequences for the rapists and there's a bizarre side plot of suicide bombers shoe horned in for good measure too.
Even with the attentions of a really good Editor this book would have struggled but as far as I can see no-one at the Publishing house ever bothered to read it. I wish I hadn't either.

Flying Finish (Francis Thriller)
Flying Finish (Francis Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, disappointing version!, 16 Aug. 2012
This is a great story. Its well written, has good characters, some thrilling action and a touching and unusual love interest. It's classic Dick Francis and one of his best!

Whats incredibly annoying though is the rubbish transcription. The Kindle version is full of spelling mistakes and strange characters which must be because the print version has been scanned into a computer to be converted. That's fair enough, I wouldn't expect that someone who have to type it all out by hand but I would have expected someone to proof read it!

Overall I'm disappointed. The story is great but it wasn't free and it's irritating to have to put up with all the mistakes. I still gave it 4 stars because it's a great yarn - but shame on the publishers for being so lazy!