Profile for Snowdrop > Reviews

The Life of Elves
The Life of Elves
by Muriel Barbery

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for us ......., 22 July 2016
This review is from: The Life of Elves (Paperback)
Writing on behalf of Longlevens Book Club in Gloucester ....
I'm afraid the majority view is that members struggled to like this one! Not as good in our view as Elegance of the Hedgehog.
Not for us I'm afraid, but the book jacket was beautiful - gold on white!

Petals of a Rose
Petals of a Rose
by Lydia Trent

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 4 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Petals of a Rose (Paperback)
A disturbing but compelling read. Although I found myself wanting to hate Rose, I couldn't. I felt for her through her struggle and confusion. The children were so believable in their attempts to judge the mood, especially Lydia. Characters were totally real. I felt myself lost in scene after scene.

When We Were Friends
When We Were Friends
by Tina Seskis

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed Seskis' other book, 2 Aug. 2015
This review is from: When We Were Friends (Paperback)
Each character is well drawn and distinctive. Fast paced, a page turner as you want to find out more about the back story of each protagonist. Themes of abandonment and rape. I enjoyed Seskis' other book, One Step Too Far, but I thought this one was even better as the characters were more developed.

Girl at War
Girl at War
by Sara Novic

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing how such a harrowing subject can be so beautifully ..., 2 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Girl at War (Hardcover)
Amazing how such a harrowing subject can be so beautifully written. Cried my eyes out throughout, read in three sittings.

Burnt Paper Sky
Burnt Paper Sky
by Gilly Macmillan

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop reading it. Difficult subject ands seemed as ..., 2 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Burnt Paper Sky (Paperback)
Couldn't stop reading it. Difficult subject ands seemed as if the author had first hand knowledge of the story.

One Night, Markovitch (C-format Trade Paperback)
One Night, Markovitch (C-format Trade Paperback)
by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, fascinating, 2 Aug. 2015
Exotic, magical, delightful, beautiful, fascinating, tempting, readable. Let down a little by the end! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but would recommend it perhaps selectively. Give it a go!

The Lady of Misrule
The Lady of Misrule
by Suzannah Dunn

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read prose, 2 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Lady of Misrule (Hardcover)
Easy to read prose, interesting perspective , written in the first person. Gave me a good background to Lady Jane Grey. Large amount of internal dialogue which I suppose kept the human element rathe than mere historical facts.
I would recommend particularly if you enjoy historical novels.

Things We Have in Common
Things We Have in Common
by Tasha Kavanagh

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy!, 2 Aug. 2015
A disturbing tale of a lonely, overweight teenager who is desperate to find a friend.
My initial sympathy for the main character Yasmin, turned into a growing sense of unease as the intensity of her obsession with finding someone to be her friend was revealed. Yasmin’s sinister fantasies weave their way through a well constructed plot that kept me guessing right up to the end.
A haunting and well written story of teenage angst with a sinister twist.
Would I recommend this book to others?
Absolutely –fans of Young Adult fiction will love it!

My Husband Doesn't Love Me and He's Texting Someone Else: The Love Coach Guide to Winning Him Back

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't panic, 14 May 2014
Another one from Andrew Marshall, that I turn to time and time again when I lose my way trying to make sense of my marriage breakup. So far, it's helping - my relationship with my husband is improving, although we're separated. If nothing else, I hope we can be friends for the future, and it feels like the door is no longer shut on 22 years of marriage.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars Stole my Heart, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
Great read, gave me a better insight and understanding of what life was like during WWII for ordinary German people. Would recommend and so would my book club.

Page: 1 | 2