Profile for Calliope > Reviews

Carrot Toppers
Carrot Toppers
by Gordon MacLeod

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, 24 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Carrot Toppers (Paperback)
This book was enjoyable to read despite the fact that it's about such an important and serious issue. That's because the author has a great sense of humour and also the characters have a lot of warmth to them. But the book made me think a lot more about the issues surrounding austerity and unemployment in this country. I get the sense that a lot of what's in the book is based on true stories. I highly recommend this one.

Casting Off: How a City Girl Found Happiness on the High Seas
Casting Off: How a City Girl Found Happiness on the High Seas
by Emma Bamford

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kind of escapist literature, 24 Jan. 2016
I picked this up in the library after a tough week of work at my office job. I needed an escape and this book really provided it, even if I did enjoy it from an armchair. A lot of fun to read - Emma is very observant about people and relationships and also did a great job describing the places she went. It all rang true and I felt she captured what it's really like to travel. I felt like I was there with her which was just what I needed. I've found from googling that she's got a sequel coming out and I can hardly wait to read it and find out how her adventure continues.

Great Plains Women's Tonino COL Block Tunic Short Sleeve Dress
Great Plains Women's Tonino COL Block Tunic Short Sleeve Dress

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent it back, 2 Aug. 2015
More like a nightgown than a dress due to the way it's cut. Hangs terribly and the pink colour is brighter than pictured.

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
by Ben Hatch

1.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypes belittling women aren't funny, 1 May 2015
Which is worse, sexism or cliches? With this book you don't have to choose - you can have both. It starts with his wife packing too many shoes. When he complains she says "you're not a girl, you wouldn't understand." Please can we put to bed the tired trope that women love shoes? The vast majority of us are really not obsessed with the things, I promise you. Also, wives tend to be over age 18 in the UK and are therefore women rather than girls. This one is not for me, I'm afraid.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 5:45 PM BST

ROSEHIP , CARRIER OIL Rosa canina 50ml by EOD - Essential Oils Direct
ROSEHIP , CARRIER OIL Rosa canina 50ml by EOD - Essential Oils Direct
Offered by Essential Oils Direct (Retail)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Feb. 2015
Lovely stuff, does wonders for my skin and at a fraction of the price of Trilogy.

St Martins Rose Jersey Women's Dress
St Martins Rose Jersey Women's Dress
Offered by WiBA-Fashion
Price: £23.60 - £40.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 22 Feb. 2015
Shiny, cheap looking material. I sent it back.

Glide Floss Picks (30 pc) (Pack of 3)
Glide Floss Picks (30 pc) (Pack of 3)
Offered by Direct-to-Home Dental Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for tightly spaced teeth, 20 Dec. 2014
Having tried a few brands of floss picks that were too thick for me, I'm relieved to find these picks which work perfectly. My teeth are packed quite close together in my mouth with very narrow gaps between them. Most floss just won't get into these gaps and tears, leaving little annoying bits of thread between my teeth. These picks don't do that. But despite being thin, they're strong and don't wear out too quickly. I'm able to floss all my teeth with one pick. After use, you can even wash them off and use them a few more times before throwing them away if you wish.

My dentist is very happy with my teeth lately and he always compliments me for flossing my teeth every day. With these picks, it's easy to do so.

Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit
Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough enough for big strong cats, 20 Dec. 2014
A good quality toy that's nice and sturdy and won't come apart even when big, strong cats attack it. It comes in pieces and you snap it together yourself. Be sure to look at the picture on the box to figure out which top bits attach to which bottom bits - you can tell by the way they curve and are about the same length. Otherwise you have to take it apart again and re-snap which is a bit of a pain but perfectly doable. It took me about ten minutes to snap his all together having gotten a couple of pieces wrong to start with.

Unfortunately, only one of our two cats was really interested. He played with it much more than he has with any other toy, though, for about a month off and on. I think he loved the way the ball would make noise from rolling around rather than the fact that it lights up and flashes. However the light in the roller ball is still going strong despite being used quite a bit.

Our cat has very big, thick paws, and he never had any trouble playing with this toy. He isn't a Maine Coon but he's the same size as one and just as tough. And he never managed to damage this toy at all.

I recommend placing this on carpet rather than wooden floors as it could scratch the floors. I also recommend moving it around from time to time as a cat playing on the same bit of carpet all the time could cause wear and tear.

This is a great toy to try out on your cats. Unfortunately there's no way to predict in advance whether your cats will enjoy it. Fortunately as it's made of thick plastic it's very easy to clean take apart and then regift to another cat if yours turns his or her nose up at it. We are giving ours to my mum's cat for Christmas and, since we saved the original box it came it, I'm sure the cat won't notice it isn't brand new!

De Bron Sugar Free Fruit and Juice Toffees (Pack of 6)
De Bron Sugar Free Fruit and Juice Toffees (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars These sweets taste just like Frutella and don't taste fake or sugar free at ..., 20 Dec. 2014
These sweets taste just like Frutella and don't taste fake or sugar free at all. The flavours are orange, lemon, strawberry and grapefruit. If like me you're on a low carb diet and can't have much fruit, these are a great treat. Unfortunately they do have a laxative effect so if you binge and have more than around five sweets you will regret it. Ask me how I know! Apart from this, I highly recommend these sweets.

How To Be A Heroine: Or, what I've learned from reading too much
How To Be A Heroine: Or, what I've learned from reading too much
by Samantha Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heroine Would Review This Book..., 22 Jan. 2014
I am learning to be a heroine thanks to the amazingly inspiring Samantha Ellis and one of the things she mentions in the book is that a true heroine does what she can to help other women. So it's only right and proper that I review this book and give it the five star rating it so richly deserves as a small gesture of solidarity with Samantha Ellis.

This book is a really fun read and it can't help but lift your spirits as well. I haven't read all of the books she discusses and that's okay - I have added those titles to my "to read" list and am looking forward to Lolly Willows and Excellent Women in particular. But for those books I have read, it's like having a heartfelt conversation with a good friend about what the characters mean to you and the effects they've had on your thinking. For me that's the kind of conversation I've often longed for but seldom had although I'm not sure why not. I think I'll be emailing a few of my good friends and asking them "Cathy or Jane?"

Samantha Ellis doesn't just rehash other people's plot lines but shares her own story as well, and she herself is an inspiration. Like the heroines she discusses, she has had to cast aside societal and family expectations in order to live the life she chooses. Along the way her perceptions of her favourite heroines changes and matures, and its fascinating to think about the way we can read the same book twice, and it seems like a different book just because we ourselves have changed.

An enjoyable book that will have long-lasting effects on my self perception, motivation, and my reading list. Thank you Samantha Ellis!

Page: 1 | 2