Profile for devaughn > Reviews

Content by devaughn

devaughn (Kent, UK)

The Secret Player
The Secret Player

3.0 out of 5 stars an interesting read.....definitely different from TSF, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Secret Player (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was was good and especially liked the fact the it gives an account as an 'in the life' across months of a typical season.

However, this book is more like a short memoir of the life of a EPL/championship football player rather than insight into the football industry itself given by TSF. Therefore, I found there was a lack of context (that I like to have based on current events in football) and the writer generally aims to be less controversial and/or opinionated on the wider aspects of the game.

This is probably due to the audience; this book us written from sources based in the four-four-two magazine and seeks to illustrate more of the hum-drum of a footballer's life while TSF's origin in the guardian probably tends lead the writer to confront current controversial issues/misconceptions about football. I have to say a prefer the latter

In conclusion, found this book a satisfactory, if limited read.

Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player
Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 19 Aug. 2008
I bought two players - one for me and my cousin - and both lasted up to 6 weeks before refusing to turn on. The sound quality was good but never got video playback running.

The zen software was a bit excessive particularly having to convert normal video files that play in realplayer to the device.

Creative website is also poor as it only really tries to promote company products with only a downloadable firmware upgrade which is useless when one of its products cannot even be switched on. happy with amazon service but will definitely look past creative products in the future...highly disappointing

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD)
Offered by Bonisell

1.0 out of 5 stars A Retrograde Step....Seabass what's going on, 25 Dec. 2007
This game fails ultimately because the players feel weightless and the ball seems to magnetised to the grass. I preferred the PES series at PES 4 and PES 5 (by a long way the best/most realistic) when players had better weight/collision detection, which helped develop aspects such as midfield battles and required more trickery to unlock physical defences.

Also, the graphics are poor, music is just about bearable and the fact that only spurs and newcastle utd are officially licensed from the premiership (previously arsenal, man utd/chelsea) - oh please!

I think that this game was a total disgrace. I've been playing PES games since about PES 2/3 (when the quality of FIFA began to really decline).
I am really worried that Seabass at Konami is attempting to convert the much lauded PES series from its high point in PES games 2-5 to the rather primitive, retrograde gameplay one was experiencing when I got disenchanted with the FIFA series after 2002. Please Stop.......

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Game....Will have to unlearn some PES5 habits!, 30 Oct. 2006
I used to be a fifa man until 2001 and then like most of my peers, was put off with all the gimmicky features from 2002 onwards. I have PES4,5 on PC and PS2 and have just recieved PES6 on PS2.

I think PES6 is great but it sure takes sometime to get back into it if you spent 'unlearning' the the way in which one had to adapt to PES5. i loved PES4's freedom in passing especially with chip passes and tackling but gradually came around to PES5 - the more conservative play is like real football. I think PES6 is a sort of half-way house compromise between PES4 and PES5. Main examples of this is that to address faults in PES5, Konami have in PES6, made a successful/non-fouling tackle easier to achieve but the turning circle and pace of players have been either altered to PES4 sensibilities or are more realistic. An improvement that I really admire is that the skill/trick moves are easier to execute within games; so the gameplay rewards more creativity and tactical nous than previously. Two faults I have found are that it has been made a little harder to defend fast dribbles at goal (maybe I have to remove the slower tactical defending of PES5?) and that of licences - it pleases one to see the Arse signed up with konami but couldn't 'market pony' JT have been more persuasive with abramovich or is there only one other premiership team allowed to feature with Ars from now on?

Overall a great game, however I think the PS2 struggles with loading times and cut scenes like the PES4/PES5 (compared to PC DVD) so maybe it could be advised to go for the newer console conversions(Xbox360 or PS3) or like me opt to play the PC DVD version when it eventually come to my doorstep! The game is so good, one has to wonder what is the next step for Konami if they continue the series?

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PC)
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good,better than fifa,but could have been improved, 29 Oct. 2005
Don't get me wrong - I am a PES fan at heart but on first play of PES5 - I think konami changed the game considerably. PES5 matches tend to be less full flowing than even PES4 and difficulty level has been raised.
To me, the reason behind this is that konami have made the matches far more physical (e.g as if they are trying to replicate Bolton vs Blackburn or a match between two great defensive italian teams-not trying to offend!) I need to play and practise a lot more on this game than the last even if the controls have altered little.
Perhaps PES5 was made to be even less of an arcade game this time round. Maybe a 'physicality' setting could be incorported in the next game to placate both PES fans who like 'highly physical' and free-flowing football.
Overall, i like the new presentation format - music is so much better and PES5 seems a step forward in the series. I just hope
I can improve my gameplay in respect to to this game!