Profile for DaysGoneByFan > Reviews

Content by DaysGoneByFan

DaysGoneByFan "DaysGoneByFan"

Page: 1 | 2
Betron DC950 Headphones Earphones, Noise Isolating, Bass Driven, High Definition In Ear Canal, Tangle free, Replaceable Earbuds for or iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung, Nokia, HTC Red
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore FAKE bad reviews - these REALLY are great !!!!, 21 Aug. 2015
A few months ago I bought a set of Betron’s superior YSM1000 earphones (not the set on this page) and was absolutely delighted with them. I reviewed them extremely enthusiastically only to receiv feedback from idiots who were probably in the pay of another company saying that I myself must be in the pay of Betron and also that I must like 'terrible sound quality'.

Some of these comments were actually made in what I considered to be an extremely abusive manner which I was appalled by, especially as my opinion agreed with the vast majority of the other reviewers so clearly there HAS to be a reason for a tiny minority of people to be so vitriolic in their negativity. There's something ‘very not right' here and I think Betron's success is worrying some people !!!

Before anything similar starts here I can categorically state that I am not in any way associated with Betron or any other electronics company other than as a consumer. I am entirely an independent user and audiophile who enjoys many styles of music though veering more towards classical or middle of the road than pop/rock, but still taking in just a smidge of the latter occasionally, and also recorded speech (plays, audiobooks, radio documentaries, etc.) - AND in different formats from compressed MP3s to full wavefile masters). I have tried many sets of headphones, earphones, external speakers and audio equipment over the years, and I genuinely think that Betron's earphones are the best earphones I have ever had.

As for liking 'terrible sound quality' as one person wrote, I am not only an audiophile for my own listening pleasure, but I have had my own independent private mail order CD label specialising in reissuing vintage recordings of light opera and music hall material for nearly twenty years now and the customer response to my transfers is second to none (and may be viewed online). If I may just quote one review in particular (out of hundreds), which I especially appreciate as it came from a fellow restorer of vintage recordings, he wrote that I am "in the forefront of the art of getting correct equalization of voices in vintage recordings. Much of my own current practice has been learned through collaboration with Chris" (that’s me!). So much for liking ‘terrible sound quality’ !! It’s very much the opposite as I strive to restore vintage music to the highest possible standard and I have even been reviewed as having achieved better results over major labels including EMI, Decca, Naxos, Pearl, Avid, etc (and I have licensed recordings from EMI’s and Decca's masters too including checking out sound quality at Abbey Road) !!

So, having got that out of the way which I hope proves my independent credibility, why I am now reviewing a different set of earphone to the set I mentioned above which are not the set on this page? It is because I bought this set for my father who is now nearly 80 and loves to listen to his country music on his iPod but whose hearing is not what it was and he’s been through a good half dozen sets in the last few years and they've all been disappointing. As this is partly because of his hearing I wasn't sure whether anything would help now but for his last birthday a few weeks back I thought I'd order one of Betron's cheaper sets of earphones to try out. They'd still been well reviewed, but little would be lost if there was no improvement because of his hearing and he doesn’t need the higher end ones I got for myself so it was worth giving them a try seeing as one particular feature with Betron seems to be the extra volume they give. (I should mention at this stage that I live in Spain and my parents are in England so I've not heard the earphones I had sent to my dad for myself yet).

I gave him a week or so with them and asked how he'd got on and he's absolutely over the moon. He's no audiophile but he said (I’m paraphrasing but this is pretty close to word-for-word) " You didn’t need to wait this long to ask about them as I was amazed with them as soon as I started using them. I can hear music properly again now, but everything also seems so much clearer than it used to and I can even hear the background instruments better than I used to. I've never heard my recordings sounding as clear as this not even when I could hear better years ago. They’re SMASHING !!!".

Need I say more ??!!! Betron's products are GREAT – admittedly no product if for everyone but don’t be taken in by some of the more vicious negative reviews which I am convinced will be mainly faked !!!

Betron YSM1000 Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Noise Isolating , Heavy Deep Bass for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Without Microphone)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best earphones I've EVER had !!!, 26 Jun. 2015
I love these new headphones. Over the years I've been through Philips', Sonys, Apples and Sennheisers and probably some lesser known brands I've experimented with too that I can't remember the names of now, but I think these are the best pair I've ever had and I'm a very regular user normally clocking up at least a couple of hours a day and often a lot more.

The bass is glorious - in fact, it's almost too glorious and I found that for opera listening it was overpowering and recessing the vocals but I soon sorted that via my iPod's EQ settings and now the sound is just wonderfully lush. The treble is nice and crisp too and the volume levels have exceeded my expectations - in fact it was the reviews about the volume capacity of these that persuaded me to get them as other sets just seem to be getting quieter and quieter nowadays (imaginary I'm sure, but they certainly don't have anything like the power of these).

I did a lot of reading around online before choosing this pair and the most negative thing I read on one site was that these were too heavy and uncomfortable but I have not found that to be the case at all. They ARE heavier than previous pairs but not awkwardly so and given the far superior power it is only to be expected and I soon got used to this, and this includes using them on the move and there's been no problem of them falling out or starting to hurt. Admittedly this has only been with walking and not jogging or in the gym but the fit is so snug witht the momory foam buds (another first for me that I am won over by) that I really can't imagine this being an issue.

One teemy problem I had, which is not about the earphones themselves anyway, was that I live in Spain but don't speak Spanish so, as usual, I did my research online and then planned to make the order through to save on shipping (which I do very often - in this case shipping would have added a quarter of the price on, which is silly - I'm not mean but I don't throw money away either) but then I found that Spanish Amazon didn't sell them which was disappointing because after the great reviews I'd read y heart had been set on these. I ended up having to buy a different set instead but I was really so unsatisfied with them when they arrived that I went back to and ordered the Betrons after all and had them sent to family in the UK who were due out a few weeks later who could bring them for me. They came out last weekend so I've had a week of trying them with all sorts of different music and audiobook recordings (going right back to vintage recordings made acoustically into a horn) and I really love them. All my niggle is here is that I really hope that Betron will get their fantastic prodoct out to a wider international market. I think they really deserve it.

For now, in addition to showing my enthusiasm here, I shall be recommending these Betrons to all my friends and to anyone I might happen to bump into, say at a cafe-bar, who I see to be an earphone user. I really have never known earphones of this quality before, and this includes once trying out an expensive Bose set that belonged to a friend which I felt were no better than the Philips set I'd been using at that time. Until now, those old Philips had been my best earphones but the model was discontinued and nothing has satisified me as much since, but now the Betrons have superceded them.

I doubt I'll be buying earphones from anyone else now and I'm already planning on buying a set for my dad's birthday, though probably not this model as I specifically got these for the volume which is my personal thing and that's not so much of an issue for him. However, it will be just as interesting for me as a bit of an audiophile to see what one of Betron's other models are like. Hopefully, I'll then be writing just as enthusiastic a review for a different pair of Betrons.

Great Silent Comedians Poster Art Book: Featuring Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harry Langdon, Laurel And Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Mabel Normand, Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle And Charley Chase
by Jake Lenburg

3.0 out of 5 stars A book about 'great' silent comedians poster art, not a great book about silent comedians poster art., 7 April 2013
Sorry, but I was disappointed with the quality of this book. I suspect many of the images are just downloaded from the internet or maybe even taken from other books. I could have done that myself !!

The quality isn't always poor, but it sometimes is. Another reviewer has written of the quality of the paper and I can't argue with that but the quality of the reproduction of the artwork, which is what matters, isn't always great. It's okay, nothing more, and overpriced for what it is. If I'd been able to browse this in a shop before buying it then I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm giving it three-stars because some people may be less fussy about how well the artwork is reproduced and they may be happy just to see these posters in book form.

If the price was a lot less then it might be OK to get to take some of the pics out for framing when they'll be seen at less close quarters than in the book, but as I mentioned above you could do this with many of the posters yourself from the internet or by scanning other books.

The Search for Charlie Chaplin
The Search for Charlie Chaplin
by Kevin Brownlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocal about silents, 7 April 2013
This is a fantastic book. Unfortunately, I've come to do some Amazon reviews quite some time after having read it so it's no longer fresh in my mind, but what does remain very prominently in my mind is what I've just written - "This is a fantastic book."

I'm already a great fan of Kevin Brownlow and the work he did with the late David Gill, and continues to do on his own or with other collaborators, and their "Unknown Chaplin" documentary is arguably (to some, not to me!) the best documentary there is about Chaplin and perhaps about that era of film (after their masterpiece series "Hollywood" which is more general - PLEASE can we have this on DVD) so to now have 'the book behind the series', and done so well too, is marvellous.

In fact, reading of the trials and tribulations that went on in the making of this programme one is amazed that it even got off the drawing board let alone reached completion. The tales of dealings with Rohauer, one of the Chaplin's old co-stars and his secretary in particular are amazing.

The bonus feature with Brownlow in the Chaplin DVD whets the appetite about how this series was made but in the book we can really feast on this information. I can only look forward with equal anticipation and pleasure to Kevin's announced follow up which will be a similar book looking behind the making of his series on Keaton.

The Lost Cinema's of Liverpool
The Lost Cinema's of Liverpool
by Trinity Mirror Media

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but there's better out there, 7 April 2013
This is OK as an overview but if you're really interested in the subject you'd be better finding a copy of "Picture Palaces of Liverpool" by Harold Ackrod, which itself is a reissue of the same author's "Dream Palaces of Liverpool". In fact, the revision is so substantial that if you're really, REALLY into this subject you will want to own both books because in spite of some obvious overlapping they are really two very different publications. I didn't know of the first one until I got the second and a friend with the first one then loaned me his original version and I not only bought a used copy of that for myself but I also went out and bought a copy of the revision for my friend (I owed him a book anyway.).

But back to the book I'm reviewing. This thin A4 sized publication, which is by the publishers of the Liverpool Echo, is more of a supplement than a book but it has some nice photos and a few good articles but it is also filled with a lot of articles that are the reminiscences of local 'celebs', mainly about their childhood visits to the pictures, and whilst one or two of these add atmosphere they quickly start to become repetitive and uninteresting.

With postage and the used seller's price I think I paid over the odds for this 'coffee table' book which is no more than an introduction and overview to the subject really, but as I suspect it will mainly be of interest to people in Liverpool (I'm FROM Liverpool but live abroad at present) they'd be better popping into the bookshop in St John's Market where I found on my last trip home they keep a large stock of new copies at a pound each. My copy, which arrived disappointingly well thumbed through and rather beaten, ended up costing about a fiver which I didn't realise until it arrived was too much for what it is unless you're only after the photos.

Three stars, according to Amazon, means "It's okay" which is the best I can say about this whereas both of Ackroyd's books are superb !

Say it With Flowers and Song of The Road [DVD]
Say it With Flowers and Song of The Road [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary Clare

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens beautifully in "Say it with Flowers", 7 April 2013
This review is only for "Say it with Flowers" as this is what I bought this set for and I'm probably not going to watch the second film in a hurry.

I saw SIWF many years ago and loved it immediately and always hoped it would be given a commercial domestic release. Typically, when I finally discovered that Renown had issued it on DVD I found that they had done so a year earlier and I hadn't been aware of it.

This is just one lovely, lovely film. And yes, nothing really happens in it. The whole flavour of the film is in its characters and mood and in fact it may be more enjoyable to us as a social document in retrospect than it may have been to first-time audiences for whom it would not have had this appeal.

A popular market-stall holder is unwell and needs to take a holiday which she and her husband can't afford so the locals get some stars in to put on a benefit show. That's it basically. We have a wonderful opening to set up the characters, none of which has much to do with the plot. Then we have a section showing the missus not being well and the husband trying to raise funds without hurting his pride, then a few of the lads say they'll raise a bit of money for them by buying his 'moke' (donkey) and putting a benefit show on and then the next thing, without us seeing how they managed to persuade three top-line stars to appear which might have made an interesting sequence in itself (can you imagine getting three of today's top stars to appear in a show for a market couple who need a holiday), they put this concert on with some of the best music hall acts ever topping the bill.

I was first loaned an off-air copy of this film purely because of the concert at the end but really it wouldn't have mattered if the locals had just had a whip-round and given them some cash without the concert because the film captures the characters and the spirit of the market people of those days so well that it is a joy for this alone. Having a finale piece of Coborn, Kendall and Forde is just a marvelous bonus.

The print is annoyingly a bit cropped around the edges but this is only really evident during the credits when we see the end letters of people names cut off (FLORRIE FORDE is now LORRIE FORDE !) but other than that this is a very nice clean, clear print with a sharp picture and good contrasts.

I'm giving four rather than five stars because this is a set and I haven't seen the second film yet which may be a stinker, but if like me you're interested this for the first named film then you will not be disappointed with it regardless of the 'support' film. And who knows, if I watch the other film and it's great I'll be back to change this to a five star rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2015 10:42 AM GMT

Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat [DVD] [1999]
Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Donny Osmond

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family entertainment, 7 April 2013
I like this very much. I've never seen Joseph in the theatre but this film adaptation is a very clever production that is both 'stagey' and 'filmic' so we know that we're watching a musical rather than a film with music, and it is in fact a show within a show as we are really watching the kids in their school hall watching their teachers putting on Joseph except with modern editing techniques it done far more subtly than that.

People often say that Lloyd-Webber knocked off other people's music, which may occasionally be correct, but here what he is doing is very cleverly pastiching different styles of music (calypso, vaudeville, French cabaret, Elvis-style rock'n'roll, etc) and it is ingenious, helped significantly by Tim Rice's superb book.

It is no wonder that this show is revived again and again and again and that the film, with every part beautifully cast, works so well. Some of LWs later musicals are more adult based but this one (originally written for kids to perform) is a great one for all the family from the kids to the grandparents.

I'm not knocking a star off here for any problems. I've given it four stars simply because there are other musicals that top this one and they can't both be five star. It's a shame we can't have a 'five star plus' option for those extra special films because then I would be happy to have given this five stars.

The Northern Music Hall
The Northern Music Hall
by G. J. Mellor

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't trust this, 7 April 2013
I thought this book would have been right up my street and would been a great addition to my creaking shelves of books about music hall and variety (I was surprised when I stumbled upon the title that I didn't already know about it and have it), but sadly I have little faith in it.

I was especially keen to see what had been written about two artistes in particular but I found that what he had written about one often wasn't true and the other, although not a 'northern' act but by someone born in the north, had several passing refs to him with no further details except for adding something like "he was from the north" after his name most times.

If a book has the wrong information about someone I know very well and nothing about a northern act that I want to read more about,, then I'm afraid I really can't trust the author's information on artistes I know less well and want to research.

I'm giving two stars here to give the author the benefit of the doubt that his incorrect information on one of the artistes is a one-off, otherwise I would only give it one star.

The George Formby Film Collection [DVD] [2009]
The George Formby Film Collection [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Formby
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Not THE greatest Formby films, but still great., 16 July 2010
I have to disagree with the poor opinion the previous reviewer has of these films.

George's films fall into three categories - Mancunian, Ealing and Columbia. The two Mancunian films are low in story and production values but are a fascinating glimpse at the raw George, the George of the halls and of stage revues, and these are invaluable to students of the real George and of music hall history.

His stint with Ealing, rather like his later stint with Columbia, has some highs and some middles (I don't think any of the films fall into the 'lows' category). Personal taste amounts for much, but I personally think that "No Limit" is not just George's greatest film achievement but is also one of the greatest British comedies of the 30s, maybe of all time.

I don't think any of George's other films quite achieved that same edge, though on the next level I would place a mix of Ealing and Columbia films.

For Ealing my next favourites are "Come on George", "Let George Do It", "Keep Your Seats Please" and "Feather Your Nest" and I am also very fond of the more mature "Turned Out Nice Again", but even if the remaining films are not quite as much in my favour I still like them a lot, and of course there's more to George's films than just the plots - there's the ukulele spots which appear in all the films which are ALWAYS marvellous.

For me, none of the Columbias are at the very top level, but I know for a fact that "Get Cracking" is considered to be one of George's best films by the Formby cogniscenti, and I personally hold "Much Too Shy" as an all-time personal film favourite. Don't ask me why - I just love the feel of it.

I see no reason to place such Columbia films as "South American George" (which has a fantastic theatre/opera chase routine), "Bell Bottom George" and "I Didn't Do It" any lower than the likes of Ealing's "Trouble Brewing" or "Keep Fit".

As to the Columbia DVD set itself, although (currently) dearer than the Ealing set, it is still a half-price bargain when you consider that the films are for sale singly at about £10-12 each (and with the boxset you get an attractive if flimsy box sleeve to house the individual films in - sorry, no fancy, nice multi-DVD boxes here, just the individual, normally cased films in a card sleeve, but to knock points off for this would be churlish), and the quality of the prints on the whole is miles and miles better than the mainly disappointing print quality of the Ealing set. It is some months since I received and watched my Columbia set, so I can no longer be specific re the quality of each film, but I only recall one of them being a little worse for wear (which still isn't as bad as the worst of the Ealing prints) and I recall that five, maybe even all six of the others, were in remarkable, near mint quality.

Collectors of old will especially appreciate the quality of "Snoops" which was only ever available in two different bootleg copies and even the better of these was poor.

Another very important thing to consider from a collector's view is that these films have appeared on DVD at all. For years we were told that they were surrounded with legal complications preventing them from being released, even TV showings have been extremely rare, and then when it first looked like they were finally coming out the company that was to have issued them folded and it looked as though we'd hit a 'so near and yet so far' situation. Fortunately, they have now been released by Columbia, but you will note that the graphic packaging theme is the same as for "Boots" and "Dole" which is a hangover from 'DD', the company that issued those two which was the company that folded just before they were about to issue the Columbia films.

So no, none of them reach the heights of "No Limit", but they are still good films, though George is now more mature, and even the lesser films are still very enjoyable. Plus, the quality of the prints is mainly pretty stunning. Perhaps all the years of these being locked up and rarely seen has paid dividends after all in preserving them so well, as though they were just waiting to reappear as new in this digital age.

Although the first reviewer has a sadly low opinion of these films, which he is perfectly entitled to, I don't know of any other Formby fan (and I've met 1000s over the years) whose opinion is similar, but I do know of a great many who like these films a lot whilst admitting that they are not in the top echelon. It is a shame that a minority opinion has been the only one to appear until now so I hope this more than redresses the balance.

Seriously, you MUST add this to your collection.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2010 6:18 PM GMT

Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD]
Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry H. Corbett

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this wonderful film known??, 23 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
At the time of writing this film is only available for DVD pre-order, but having just noted the forthcoming release I have to say that I'm delighted to learn that it's coming out on DVD.

I found this on video about five years ago for a pound in one of those remainder shops. I'd never heard of it and was surprised by this when I saw the cast, especially as it looks the sort of film that would have been televised in the afternoons in the 70s, maybe it was and I missed it, but, whatever, it was new to me when I saw it lying there. I don't even think I watched it right away - I think it stayed forgotten on the shelf for a couple of months and finally got a viewing when I was bored and rediscovered it while desperately browsing the shelves.

To be perfectly honest, because it was so unknown I thought it would just be one of those cheaply made below average comedies that were churned out at the time (our UK comedy stars weren't too expensive to hire - look at what great Carry On stars got - so getting a reasonable cast together even for a poor film wasn't hard), but it isn't, it's an absolute gem!

It's so long since I saw it that I can't really remember much of the plot now, and I can't even remember all of the cast list, so I know this isn't going to be a great recommendation for some people, but trust me on this - the stellar cast of great British comedy actors are on top form and the clever plot and top comedy leave me extremely puzzled as to why this film is so little known and not ranked alongside the other great British comedies of this period.

Maybe there were distribution problems that gave it a backseat on its original cinema release, but because of the high price of its original video release (I know I got it for a pound, but I'd bought other vids on that label and they were VERY expensive!) it wasn't destined for much of a wider distribution or appreciation the second time round either. I really hope this better Amazon-discounted-priced DVD release finally gives this film the attention it deserves. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be able to revisit this page and see lots of great reviews and ratings for it.

Page: 1 | 2