Profile for Mr. R. G. Prizeman > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)
Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello this is just wonderful, 4 Mar. 2016
It was always going to be difficult to follow Face Value, however when you listen to Hello I must be going, you can hear that Phil Collins is now more confident. Originally recorded almost solo, on eight track in his own studio, this album always sounded good.
Like Face Value I delved straight into probably my second favorite Phil Collins album (Face Vale is my first). Again the album is presented with a new cover shot, in the inlay Phil explains why the album has been re-issued.
Having the original CD I have something to compare this new version with. Well starting off with I don't care anymore, the sound of the drums hitting hard as Phil sings about the separation from his wife and what the press think, I have to say the work carried out by Nick Davis again is something spectacular.
This is the album with his first number one " you can't hurry love" and obviously reveals Phil's love of Mowtown. Thru these walls have never sound so clear and thundering , and the quite beautiful ballad ends the album Why can't it wait till morning, to name just a few of the excellent tracks on this album.
The bonus disc contains many live versions of the tracks and a couple of demos, on on the why can't it wait. However if I am honest I am don't feel much effort has been put into the second disc.
I have to recommend this for the vast improvement in sound, from the original it is like am new recording, its not of course but it sounds bright balanced and clear.
I am not one for re- purchasing CD's I have already got but on this occasion this series has been "painfully resorted'
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 10:35 PM BST

Take A Look At Me Now [Collector's Edition]
Take A Look At Me Now [Collector's Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best re-masters I have ever heard., 3 Feb. 2016
This review is about the re-master, which I hope will be helpful for those who are thinking about re-buying the Phil Collins Albums. Re-masters can be great, Kate Bush improved the Red Shoes, but Nirvana Nevermind is awful.
So with cation I approach this series of re-masters. Face value is 35 year old and was first issued on CD back in 1985 and has never been remastered. I have the original LPand the original CD. So I am very familiar with the album. I love face value always my favorite so when I received the two Albums Face Value and both sides, I was quite excited. I played Face value first.
Wow what a job Nick Davis(who re-mastered all the Genesis albums) has done. I am hearing things I have never heard before, a little chatter at the beginning of the Roof is leaking, instruments that I have never heard before because the CD version I had is well pretty awful. in the air tonight sounds better than ever the saxophone on leaving me is easy ,it is like someone playing in the room. Tomorrow never knows, well I did not realize how much was missing from the CD I owned originally.
The second CD has some nice demos including the roof is leaking with Eric Clapton playing guitar.also some nice live versions, and the original demo of against all odds however compared to disc one the sound can be a bit dissapointing at times. however like many I prchased this for the main albumn.
I think Both Sides will be slightly over looked, although not as old as Face value, the quality is still amazing the drums on Both side of the story, are breathtaking, perhaps I will re-visit this one as it was a bit over looked at the time of its original relese.. All the covers have been updates, I suppose it would have been nice to perhaps have the original sleeve on the inner sleeve/Booklet but I kind of understand the idea behind it.This is a must to any one who loves the originals. I have to say it is time to replace them
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2016 10:32 PM BST

Out Of The Blue (Limited Edition Clear Vinyl) [VINYL]
Out Of The Blue (Limited Edition Clear Vinyl) [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Why not Clear Blue Vinyl like originally issued, 8 Jan. 2016
Back in 1977 I purchased this great album on Blue Vinyl (hence the name of the album being out of the Blue that was the idea). So why are we treated to a clear vinyl version, is just a puzzlement almost like Sony are colour blind, or as they did not own a record company back in 1977 have no idea what the history of this great album is.
The music on this set can never for me be faulted, It is one of the few albums I can enjoy from start to finish and look forward to side 3 the Concerto for a rainy day, which never dates and never disappoint's.
Only four singles were lifted of this set, Turn to Stone, Mr Blue Sky, Sweet talking woman and wild west hero. However Stepping out, Summer and Lightning and Big wheels are three more greats that could have been singles . The 30 year CD has been available for a good few years, this set is no improvement on sound at all, in fact ELO never appear to get the treatment they deserve when re issued on CD. Maybe one day but I am afraid not with this set. A New world record and Out of the Blue for me will always be the best ELO albums and I highly recommend them both, but save your money and buy the CD as you will not be getting a 180grm master pressing here.
If you have the original treasure it, I am amazed all these timeless albums are being re issued on vinyl and I am very glad I never did what many did bin there LP's as now the record compnanies have realized vinyl will never die
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2016 11:56 AM GMT

1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]
1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing Sound Time for everyone all around in 5.1, 8 Jan. 2016
Oh wow, hear the Beatles like you have never heard them before , like they are in your ear. I have to be honest I will always be a massive Beatles fan, and over the years have listened to the many arguments saying, you must not alter the past. Well I agree to a point. As long as the original version are always available then I am all for mixing the songs correctly, and on this set with a lot of love. Now of cause we have been treated to the 5.1 experience before on the Love CD, and also the remixing in Stereo of the yellow Submarine Songtrack.
On this set for the first time we are finally treated to a warm beautiful sound off the two track Beatles material (She Loves you, Twist and Shout, From me to you ect) all in either 5.1 or stereo, with the vocals placed carefully in the center of the mix, to say they sound is great is just and understatement.
The fist disc is a visual replica of the original No1, all remixed properly. Nothing added nothing taken away just placed correctly in the stereo picture instead of vocal s on one channel and instruments on the other, something that has bugged many of the early Beatles recording and for me disappointing the greatness of the music.Yes they sound the same no ridiculous booming base overtaking the mix, everything seems to be carefully placed in the Stereo picture.
All fans should remember the Beatles never intended the vocals to be place on the one channel, it was at the time the engineers decision, who really did not know what to do with stereo mixes. I have always felt opportunities were lost, the Mono versions were only available in an expensive box set, and the stereo versions which were widely available are sometimes (the first two albums are great examples) should have only been issued in MONO. Well until now when it been proved what can be done without damaging the original sound.
On this BLU-RAy the sound is amazing, Hey Bulldog is a stand out in thundering bass line and piano, drums blistering clear.Although the visuals are secondary for me the picture quality in the 35mm promos like Hello goodbye, Strawberry fields is amazing just breathtaking.
This set has a lot to offer, any fan the 3 disc version is the one to get, The audio CD contains all the vocal placed in the center, no longer do you get the wired vocal fade after the introduction of Eleanor Rigby, This finally shows what can be achieved without destroying the sound of the Beatles..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2016 1:55 PM GMT

McBusted
McBusted
Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be the guarantee for the future for both bands, 3 Dec. 2014
This review is from: McBusted (Audio CD)
Waiting for McFly's sixth album was like waiting for dino rod to clear a blockage it just seemed to take ages. The group were not quite by no means, they have toured every year, three members got married, and quite a few reality TV appearances. While all this went on McFly reunited with two of the member of Busted James Bourne and Matt Willis on stage for the tour so we all thought McBusted were born. The feedback was positive and so the merger became more permanent and then an album, of McBusted (the McFly 6th album put on hold for who knows how long)
So here we have the joint venture, and it more Mcfly + Busted = Green Day. Catchy short songs with a punk rock feel, this is a million miles from shine a light but closer to say Corrupted from Radioactive.
Air Guitar kicks of the album, then you go straight into I hate your guts, yep they keep coming "get over it" as well as gone. Songs like whatever happened to your band answers all the questions regarding the delays in recording a new album. with two extra writers and singers on board the album is very vocally varied, and is really good for a first effort.
This may guarantee McFly or Mcbusted at least another ten years or more in the music business,
For value make sure you purchase the deluxe version.

McBusted - Live at the 02 & TourPlay [Blu-ray] [2014]
McBusted - Live at the 02 & TourPlay [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Tom Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars A real surprising double disc set, 24 Nov. 2014
Like many I was un-sure the whole merger of the two bands, and I like many have been waiting some four years for the promised sixth McFly album. However something happened in the four years to change things the band have not been silent that's for sure, they have toured ever year and have established themselves as an excellent live act.
It was at the tenth anniversary concert as stated in the documentary Tour Play (disc two here) that McBusted were born, and suddenly things changed, the sixth album on hold a knew McBusted album, has been rerecorded, Air guitar being the first taster.
This two disc set has the London O2 concert in full which having seen live is just fun fun fun. However I have to say i enjoyed the Tour-Play documentary better.
McFly always deliver in front of the camera and never fail to entertain an audience. and with James Bourne and Matt Willis on board they appear to be just as good. As you always get with the four McFly boys, James and Matt appear to be very genuine people.
Also included in the Tour-play Documentary which did received a limited cinema release are clips from other concerts performed by the band Hyde Park being one.
I think my only criticism is the balance of songs more in favor of Busted should be altered to Favor McFly due to the ratio of music the bands have released (5 Mcfly 2 Busted). However putting that grip to one side it is pure entertainment. McBusted appear to e more pop/punk and if anything it has re-vitalized McFly and probably guaranteed them at least another ten years or more in the business, but then I think it may be because the friendship between each member is so strong they may just go on for ever.

One Step Beyond... - 35th Anniversary Edition [CD+DVD]
One Step Beyond... - 35th Anniversary Edition [CD+DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless album, and a sonic improvement on the 30th Anniversary sound, 14 Oct. 2014
Back in 1979 as a very young teenager, i bought this album and my love for it has never gone. I think its true to say that Madness have never beaten this fantastic gem in pop history.
I always felt the hits got better, My girl the third single is just a classic, that most teenage boys could relate too. At the time the group were worried that Night boat to Cairo being the forth single from the album would be to much, so instead they issued the EP work rest and play (where are these tracks as extras).
This the forth time this has been issued on CD, twice on Virgin, then the 30th Anniversary 2 disc set(none of the extra tracks are included here). The 30th Anniversary set was probably one of the worst re-masters of this album, I am please to say this is a vast improvement.
Apart for the young guns documentary on the DVD which gets shown quite regularly on BBC4 there is nothing really new,or rare, everyone has the video's on Divine Madness.
so apart from an improvement in sound there is not much here that is really special. If however you have never re bought this on CD this is the version to buy.

The Sensual World
The Sensual World

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Album not Remastered -Do not make the mistake, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Sensual World (Audio CD)
It was always going to be hard to follow the hounds of love, after selling so well and then the Whole story compilation.The Sensual World, brings everything back down to earth, and Kate Bush recorded her most personal album to date. Although some fans found it not as good as her older albums, everyone appeared to be unanimous, with This Woman's work, a beautiful song which has become a firm favorite.
However this album contains some great tracks the title track is still beautiful, as is the the Fog. Heads were dancing is a great insight of having a dance with Hitler, well only Kate could write something like that. Rocket tail is fun, and Deeper Understanding, about a boy in love with his computer for me is still better here than on the directors cut.
This is a reissue and Amazon have labelled in wrong do not fall into the trap of this being a re-master it is not, it is the same audio as the original. Having bought the Directors Box set it clearly states only the Red Shoes is re-mastered, and checking the Directors cut version with the original CD there is no difference at all in volume or quality no matter what anyone says, so don't fall in the trap buying this thinking it has been re-mastered, Apparently one of the reasons is Kate is a lover of the Analogue sound, and therefore does not feel it necessary.
However expanded editions, perhaps with a little cleaning up work would be a step in the right direction. There are so many B sides and rare tracks which are hard to find, unless you shell out for This Woman's work box set, but that still has some rare tracks missing. I can only hope with all the interest with the recent dawn to Dusk tour Kate's back catalog gets the love it deserves
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 11:56 AM BST

X
X

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great listen, 5 July 2014
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
It has been a while since I have bought an album that I have enjoyed from beginning to end. The first single Sing gave an incite as to the more up beat sound of this album compared to +. I have listened to this album quite a few times and its one of those that you know you are going to love.
There are tracks which are more acoustic like I'm a mess,, but when tracks like Don't where Ed Sheeran raps are brilliant (he' says he is not a rapper), and I am not a fan of rap at all but with the songs on this album it works. As the album goes through the tracks you expect a dud track, it does not seem to Happen, infact by the time you get to Photograph and Bloodstream, the album is just cooking.
Another highlight for me was Runaway, but there is still time for some Acoustic numbers, My dad does it and Artfire to name two. This is better than the first well it would have been easy to play safe and deliver more of the same, but like say Adele follow up 21, Sheeran has created a great full sound, quite soulful at times, but this is such a rewarding listen. He has now secured his future as an artist that will be around for a long time.

Xscape
Xscape
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars What this album really needs is Michael Jackson, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Xscape (Audio CD)
I have listened to this album a few times now and hoped it may grow on me, I read the mixed reviews how many think its great, but then it appears that if Mr Jackson had sung a shopping list they would still think its amazing. Jackson, was a perfectionist and that's why we waited so long for each great album, lets face it there is very little filler on many of his classic albums. This album without his careful eye on the quality control, mean we get such bizarre songs as "a place with no name" which is the same as a horse with no name.
The first single "Love never felt so good" stalled outside the top 40. This album is no way as good as anything he did when he was a live, and I am sorry its time to let him RIP, and stop putting out sub standard stuff in his name.
Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous are all fantastic albums, that he carefully crafted and embraced musical sound of the time and also influenced other artists. This like Michael before is a very mediocre collection of songs which neither grow on you or invite you to want to listen again, think of the many singles that could be lifted off his past albums, off this it hard to find one track that is outstanding and grabs you like any of his past classics.
The main question here, is this a money grabbing exercise, like many I find it hard to work out where all these track are coming from, when Michael Jackson was not the worlds most prolific artists.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14