Profile for Mr. R. G. Prizeman > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

Mr. R. G. Prizeman (croydon UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]
The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]

3.0 out of 5 stars Spare Bricks, 18 Oct. 2017
The final Cut originally called Spare bricks, as a follow up to the Wall or even a continuation, you can hear many of the tracks be it with different lyrics on the 3rd disc of the Wall. This confirmed what Gilmore said at the time, that things were being dug up that had been thrown out of the sessions for the Wall as they were not good enough, so why are they good enough now. The band were at breaking point, Rick Wright gone and Mason and Gilmore trying to keep there faces above water. The Album is not all bad, The Fletcher memorial home, Two suns in the sunset are actually quite good. Not now John even got in the top 40 and the video(clean version) appeared on Top of the Pops.
This could be described as Waters best solo work, he wrote produced and sung all but one track on the album, there is still a bit of distinctive guitar work from Gilmore, however The Final Cut really is the poor son of the Wall, although the wall could be described as in places depressing there are some high parts and the Narrative is strong, On the final cut there is very little to sing a long with. This version now contains when the tigers broke free added into the middle of the album.
Waters quit shortly after, and what happens next we all know.

MIKE OLDFIELD tublar bells SUPER DELUXE EDITION Box contains 3 XCD'S, 1 x DVD, 1 x VINYL LP HARD BACK BOOK AND POSTER ETC 270353-9

2.0 out of 5 stars How many re-issues do we need, 18 Sept. 2017
Be warned you are paying eighty pounds just to have a Vinyl version of tubular bells. As the two Cd's and the DVD are exactly the same as the deluxe version currently on sale for 12.99.
Yes Tubular Bells is a master piece but come on stop this ridiculous state of record companies ripping off fans making them think this is special.
We have had Tubular Bells 20th Anniversary master, Virgin HDCD master, then Universal Deluxe Master, A free copy with the Mail on Sunday, A half speed remaster. This continue re-issue of a classic only damages the legacy. My advice buy the deluxe and make do if you really want with the Vinyl version. Save your money

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid listening experience Guaranteed, 30 May 2017
So here we go a 50 anniversary edition of Sgt Pepper. Is it worth buying again, in one word definitely. The original Stereo version was mixed with none of the Beatles or George Martin involved,this was the chance to sort out the balancing issue with vocals panned to one channel and it so has.
Giles Martin stated he created a stereo version as close to the mono version which is how the Beatles wanted you to hear this record. I imagine everyone buying this is re buying it, so I won't go on about the music. What has been achieved is going right back to the original tapes and using the notes from the mono master to make a breathtaking stereo version making the old Stereo version obsolete .
What you hear is so clear and surpasses many modern recordings. The vocals are all placed in the center, You hear a rumbling bass on Sgt Pepper opening track, and on Sgt pepper reprise you hear vocal parts lost on the original stereo version which I have never heard before. She's leaving home is now at the correct speed as per the original mono version and the strings sound amazing. This mix gives the music space to breath instead of being squashed on the 4 track so available at the time.
A Day in the now sounds out of this world with the Orchestra sounding like a full Orchestra not squashed like on the original Stereo version.
The original stereo version may as well be deleted,(that's my personal view) no care was taken when the engineers mixed it by hard panning of vocals and instruments to one channel only.
On the second disc you get the re mixed Strawberry Fields forever and Penny Lane along with some demos from the recording sessions. The extra discs on the super deluxe are an extra disc of demos, the original Mono mix from 1967, not sure why not the re-mastered mono version, from the Mono box set, and then a Blu-ray and DVD (they have the same content) with the main album re-mixed in 5.1 DTS sound, a Documentary recorded a while back including input from George Harrison and videos of Penny lane, Strawberry fields and a Day in the life.
This version done by Giles Martin son of George is done with love and understanding, and the to disc set is a must for any fan. The question is will any other Beatles other albums be re mixed. I imagine maybe in time, if this is the result.
I am sure there may still be arguments that the originals should not be messed with,or this is just to make more money for the record company. However the knew mix has nothing added or taken away it is just mixed correctly with the notes from George Martin and the technology that was not around in 1967 . If you only buy the single disc you won't be disappointed. The double disc has penny lane and strawberry fields re mixed again just brilliant. Along with demos from the sessions. Sgt Pepper was never my favorite Beatles Album that for me was Abbey road, but this is like listening to Sgt Pepper for the first time. Well done Giles Martin.
Apparently the White album is now being re mixed

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost the Super deluxe everyone waited for, 8 April 2017
Well I have been waiting many years for this to happen, and now it is here. Its a nice package and the main album sounds fantastic a very good job with the re-mastering so glad the loudness war is a thing of the past as this could have been ruined. Obviously those who buy this already like the album so I will not go into to much about all the great tracks that are here. However the Title track really sounds amazing the drums and guitar just leap out of the stereo.
The second disc B sides and out-takes is very nice addition you finally get you and I part 1, which goes into part 2 not sure if this was ever how it was meant to appear on the album. Other B sides are here Ricky, Dead end street all sound very clear.
The third disc my least favorite is all the 12" mixes and I am afraid not really mu cup of tea nice to have but Fleetwood Mac were never a dance group and Arthur Baker remixing Big Love all sounds very dated now and none are as good as the original versions.
The DVD has the 4 videos from the time, Family Man is a mix of Seven Wonders and big Love and Everywhere I do remember does not include the band I remember being disappointed at the time. The album is then presented in Stereo a real lost opportunity here to do a 5.1 mix of the album like with Mirage (which is 5 years older).
The booklet is very nice and the Vinyl version of the album sounds great I have the original on LP and CD so comparing you can hear a remarkable improvement.
All in all this is a nice set, but the two disc version maybe is all you need as I think I could have lived without the 12" mixes.

One star knocked off for the lack of 5.1 mix.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2017 9:23 PM BST

ANTHOLOGY TOUR (THE HITS LIVE)
ANTHOLOGY TOUR (THE HITS LIVE)
Offered by positivenoise

2.0 out of 5 stars Another live albumn, 10 Feb. 2017
Another Live album hot on the heals of the tenth Anniversary Albert hall album, which is far better and comes with a DVD. This is another trample over the same hits.If Mcfly don't watch it there 20 years in the business will be a celebration of no knew material. The last album was 2010 !. It's time to deliver something new, before the fans drift away.

Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)
Hello, I Must Be Going! (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello this is just wonderful, 4 Mar. 2016
It was always going to be difficult to follow Face Value, however when you listen to Hello I must be going, you can hear that Phil Collins is now more confident. Originally recorded almost solo, on eight track in his own studio, this album always sounded good.
Like Face Value I delved straight into probably my second favorite Phil Collins album (Face Vale is my first). Again the album is presented with a new cover shot, in the inlay Phil explains why the album has been re-issued.
Having the original CD I have something to compare this new version with. Well starting off with I don't care anymore, the sound of the drums hitting hard as Phil sings about the separation from his wife and what the press think, I have to say the work carried out by Nick Davis again is something spectacular.
This is the album with his first number one " you can't hurry love" and obviously reveals Phil's love of Mowtown. Thru these walls have never sound so clear and thundering , and the quite beautiful ballad ends the album Why can't it wait till morning, to name just a few of the excellent tracks on this album.
The bonus disc contains many live versions of the tracks and a couple of demos, on on the why can't it wait. However if I am honest I am don't feel much effort has been put into the second disc.
I have to recommend this for the vast improvement in sound, from the original it is like am new recording, its not of course but it sounds bright balanced and clear.
am not one for re- purchasing CD's I have already got but on this occasion this series has been "painstakingly resorted'
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 10:35 PM BST

Take A Look At Me Now [Collector's Edition]
Take A Look At Me Now [Collector's Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best re-masters I have ever heard., 3 Feb. 2016
This review is about the re-master, which I hope will be helpful for those who are thinking about re-buying the Phil Collins Albums. Re-masters can be great, Kate Bush improved the Red Shoes, but Nirvana Nevermind is awful.
So with cation I approach this series of re-masters. Face value is 35 year old and was first issued on CD back in 1985 and has never been remastered. I have the original LPand the original CD. So I am very familiar with the album. I love face value always my favorite so when I received the two Albums Face Value and both sides, I was quite excited. I played Face value first.
Wow what a job Nick Davis(who re-mastered all the Genesis albums) has done. I am hearing things I have never heard before, a little chatter at the beginning of the Roof is leaking, instruments that I have never heard before because the CD version I had is well pretty awful. in the air tonight sounds better than ever the saxophone on leaving me is easy ,it is like someone playing in the room. Tomorrow never knows, well I did not realize how much was missing from the CD I owned originally.
The second CD has some nice demos including the roof is leaking with Eric Clapton playing guitar.also some nice live versions, and the original demo of against all odds however compared to disc one the sound can be a bit dissapointing at times. however like many I prchased this for the main albumn.
I think Both Sides will be slightly over looked, although not as old as Face value, the quality is still amazing the drums on Both side of the story, are breathtaking, perhaps I will re-visit this one as it was a bit over looked at the time of its original relese.. All the covers have been updates, I suppose it would have been nice to perhaps have the original sleeve on the inner sleeve/Booklet but I kind of understand the idea behind it.This is a must to any one who loves the originals. I have to say it is time to replace them
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2016 10:32 PM BST

Out Of The Blue (Limited Edition Clear Vinyl) [VINYL]
Out Of The Blue (Limited Edition Clear Vinyl) [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Why not Clear Blue Vinyl like originally issued, 8 Jan. 2016
Back in 1977 I purchased this great album on Blue Vinyl (hence the name of the album being out of the Blue that was the idea). So why are we treated to a clear vinyl version, is just a puzzlement almost like Sony are colour blind, or as they did not own a record company back in 1977 have no idea what the history of this great album is.
The music on this set can never for me be faulted, It is one of the few albums I can enjoy from start to finish and look forward to side 3 the Concerto for a rainy day, which never dates and never disappoint's.
Only four singles were lifted of this set, Turn to Stone, Mr Blue Sky, Sweet talking woman and wild west hero. However Stepping out, Summer and Lightning and Big wheels are three more greats that could have been singles . The 30 year CD has been available for a good few years, this set is no improvement on sound at all, in fact ELO never appear to get the treatment they deserve when re issued on CD. Maybe one day but I am afraid not with this set. A New world record and Out of the Blue for me will always be the best ELO albums and I highly recommend them both, but save your money and buy the CD as you will not be getting a 180grm master pressing here.
If you have the original treasure it, I am amazed all these timeless albums are being re issued on vinyl and I am very glad I never did what many did bin there LP's as now the record compnanies have realized vinyl will never die
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2016 11:56 AM GMT

1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]
1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing Sound Time for everyone all around in 5.1, 8 Jan. 2016
Oh wow, hear the Beatles like you have never heard them before , like they are in your ear. I have to be honest I will always be a massive Beatles fan, and over the years have listened to the many arguments saying, you must not alter the past. Well I agree to a point. As long as the original version are always available then I am all for mixing the songs correctly, and on this set with a lot of love. Now of cause we have been treated to the 5.1 experience before on the Love CD, and also the remixing in Stereo of the yellow Submarine Songtrack.
On this set for the first time we are finally treated to a warm beautiful sound off the two track Beatles material (She Loves you, Twist and Shout, From me to you ect) all in either 5.1 or stereo, with the vocals placed carefully in the center of the mix, to say they sound is great is just and understatement.
The fist disc is a visual replica of the original No1, all remixed properly. Nothing added nothing taken away just placed correctly in the stereo picture instead of vocal s on one channel and instruments on the other, something that has bugged many of the early Beatles recording and for me disappointing the greatness of the music.Yes they sound the same no ridiculous booming base overtaking the mix, everything seems to be carefully placed in the Stereo picture.
All fans should remember the Beatles never intended the vocals to be place on the one channel, it was at the time the engineers decision, who really did not know what to do with stereo mixes. I have always felt opportunities were lost, the Mono versions were only available in an expensive box set, and the stereo versions which were widely available are sometimes (the first two albums are great examples) should have only been issued in MONO. Well until now when it been proved what can be done without damaging the original sound.
On this BLU-RAy the sound is amazing, Hey Bulldog is a stand out in thundering bass line and piano, drums blistering clear.Although the visuals are secondary for me the picture quality in the 35mm promos like Hello goodbye, Strawberry fields is amazing just breathtaking.
This set has a lot to offer, any fan the 3 disc version is the one to get, The audio CD contains all the vocal placed in the center, no longer do you get the wired vocal fade after the introduction of Eleanor Rigby, This finally shows what can be achieved without destroying the sound of the Beatles..
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2016 8:51 PM BST

McBusted
McBusted
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be the guarantee for the future for both bands, 3 Dec. 2014
This review is from: McBusted (Audio CD)
Waiting for McFly's sixth album was like waiting for dino rod to clear a blockage it just seemed to take ages. The group were not quite by no means, they have toured every year, three members got married, and quite a few reality TV appearances. While all this went on McFly reunited with two of the member of Busted James Bourne and Matt Willis on stage for the tour so we all thought McBusted were born. The feedback was positive and so the merger became more permanent and then an album, of McBusted (the McFly 6th album put on hold for who knows how long)
So here we have the joint venture, and it more Mcfly + Busted = Green Day. Catchy short songs with a punk rock feel, this is a million miles from shine a light but closer to say Corrupted from Radioactive.
Air Guitar kicks of the album, then you go straight into I hate your guts, yep they keep coming "get over it" as well as gone. Songs like whatever happened to your band answers all the questions regarding the delays in recording a new album. with two extra writers and singers on board the album is very vocally varied, and is really good for a first effort.
This may guarantee McFly or Mcbusted at least another ten years or more in the music business,
For value make sure you purchase the deluxe version.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14