Profile for Umborne > Reviews

Umborne

The Architects
The Architects

5.0 out of 5 stars A human view of East Berlin, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Architects (Kindle Edition)
It is very unusual to get a novel that blends the domestic politics of East Berlin with human foibles which are steered by (and react against) the committee driven set up which pressured all decisions in the 1960ies communist block.
Reading this book suddenly explained the puzzling architecture you experience when walking down Unter den Linden.
The first chapter is rather stogy but by half way through the second, the book gets into it stride and from then character development is concurrently realistic and startling.
It is easy to dismiss and be superior towards the architecture described but remember this was the time when our star architects were building ugly anti-social leaky tower blocks which are still scarring our townscapes.

kenable USB 2.0 A To MICRO B Data and Charging Cable 3m
kenable USB 2.0 A To MICRO B Data and Charging Cable 3m
Offered by hashsonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 2 Mar. 2013
An excellent product that works! Quick delivery. I have used it for various devices. The long length means it is ideal for a Car Sat Nav as you can run it under the car mats from the lighter socket.

Nora [DVD] [2000]
Nora [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor

5.0 out of 5 stars Woman 1 Men 0, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Nora [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
A superb low key film film which examines the relationship between James Joyce and his wife Nora Barnacle. So often the non celebrity partner of biographical movie is a supporting part; a mirror to the genius. But not in this case.
From a acting viewpoint Susan Lynch (Nora) acts everyone else under the table; a wide ranging explorations of active and reactive emotions, she steals every scene. Not that the rest of the cast is poor, just not as good.

In terms of storyline is demonstrates how genius can milk and almost drive to destruction their acquaintances and partners.

The pace is very French nineteen eighties with people talking and listening, rare in the movies nowadays where action is de rigeur.

5.0 out of 5 stars At the Even Hour: Confessions and Regressions, 7 Feb. 2013
Just finished reading At the Even Hour...for the second time. When I first started I thought I was going to read a novel and only when I got to "At the Even Hour" chapter did I realise the nature of the book. A series of semi stand alone stories but with an overarching theme. I completed the book but decided it would be much more satisfying if I reread it with pauses in my reading between chapters. This proved to be the case.
The second reason I reread it was that I had anticipated that it was goingto be full blown Magic Realism and that thought was spoiling my enjoyment. Idon't care for MR. There is a hint but for me it didn't intrude.
I thought the translation was truly excellent. It had clarity of style and the considered choice of words reflected the pace of the incidents. I particularly liked the way the translator created changing tension in "Dead Leaves"; not in an obvious way but with extremely subtle emphasis.
The translation did not allow too many Spanish words to remain in the text; something that drives me crackers .This is a classy, compelling and rewarding read with a line of beauty running though the whole text.