Profile for Jennie Finch > Reviews

Content by Jennie Finch

Jennie Finch "Jennie F" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Uncommon Reader
The Uncommon Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 July 2016
A little gem by one of the finest writers of our time. Funny, thoughtful and wise. Thank you Mr Bennett.

Georgie and a friend of Dorothy (Mapp and Lucia)
Georgie and a friend of Dorothy (Mapp and Lucia)

4.0 out of 5 stars A new look, 6 May 2016
It is always hard picking up where a well loved author leaves off by the writer does a decent job here, adding insights to the character and bringing something new. Well done, Mr Martin.

The Sixth Man (King and Maxwell Book 5)
The Sixth Man (King and Maxwell Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced thriller., 29 Dec. 2014
This is the first of Baldacci's King and Maxwell books I have read and I enjoyed it very much. It is well paced, has an interesting premise and doesn't rely too heavily on endless car chases or shootouts. The writing is a bit clumsy in places, hence four stars. Overall I would recommend it and will be looking at the others in the series.

Mr Two Bomb
Mr Two Bomb
by William Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and compelling story, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Mr Two Bomb (Paperback)
This is an astonishing book. It brings together elements from several survivors' lives but paints an authentic and compelling picture of Japan at war and the impact of the two atomic bombs. The narrator is a survivor of both attacks - amazingly there were about a dozen people who lived through both - and events are seen through his eyes. The details of Japan at war are drawn with a clear and unapologetic hand giving an insight into a very alien society. Coles does not spare the reader when it comes to details of the bombs' effect and it is not an easy read in places but the whole story is one of the great morality tales of our times.

Neverwhere
Neverwhere

5.0 out of 5 stars An utter delight, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favourite books. A terrific imaginative story that ends too soon. I watched the TV series many years ago and unlike many adaptations, this stands as an exciting and well written novel. My only complaint - what happens next? Is there any chance of a sequel?

European Rail Timetable
European Rail Timetable
by Thomas Cook Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and dependable, 14 Aug. 2013
A must for any serious rail traveller in Europe.
Covers most of the lines and services on the continent with useful additions such as occasional mail buses and steamers on lakes.
My only gripe is the tiny print - and I miss the lovely clear gateway maps the old style book had.
Still excellent value for money however, and the tiny print means it is small enough to pack and take with you.

Flow Free
Flow Free

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Flow Free (App)
A deceptively simple game - just join the dots.
This is hugely addictive and fiendish at higher levels.
A real time-waster though I tried to kid myself I was improving my spatial skills...

Good Omens
Good Omens

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourites., 26 May 2013
This review is from: Good Omens (Kindle Edition)
I was so glad to find this out on Kindle. I love this book, combining the best of its authors in a wonderful and deeply funny fantasy. Could not resist it. Now I can let my first edition grow old and venerable in peace.

Forensics for Dummies
Forensics for Dummies
by Douglas P. Lyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and accessible, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Forensics for Dummies (Paperback)
Despite being a "Dummies" title this is a very well informed book. Well laid out and clearly written - an excellent introduction.

Pompeii
Pompeii

4.0 out of 5 stars Great song, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Pompeii (MP3 Download)
I heard this at the end of the BAFTAs a couple of weeks ago and spent several days hunting it down. A great song - just so hard to find if you don't know the title.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3