Profile for MsOtakon. > Reviews

Content by MsOtakon.

MsOtakon. (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship
by Sherry Argov

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Read., 19 Jun. 2014
When I first started reading this book, I could not put it down and ended up finishing it after two days!
Although this book caters to a woman's needs to transform into the ideal Girlfriend, Wife or Partner whilst in a relationship in order to keep that "spark" going, it also provided me with tips on how to become a successful, independent and strong lady (in terms of mentally and emotionally) with or without a Boyfriend or a Husband, these tips work and after reading this I felt so inspired to push myself to work harder in life.

As over the top as this may sound, I believe this is one of those books that actually changed my life, I have never felt so much more confident and helped me understand the opposite sex a bit more. Though Sherry writes with the female gender in her mind, there was never no hint of bias and she most certainly makes it clear that men also would like to be treated with love and respect just as much as women do in relationships, that way, things are a lot more easier between the two involved in the relationship (it takes two to tango after all), and also makes things feel a lot more EQUAL.

I also enjoy the fact that she included hilarious, real-life scenarios to add a bit more humour and to emphasise the points she tries to make, therefore making me remember all the principles she ever wrote down.. I just could not forget them after finishing this book!

The History of Vaccines
The History of Vaccines
by Karie Youngdahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me write my Essay on Vaccination., 9 April 2014
If it wasn't for this product, I would not have succeeded in the essay write-up I had to do for University on the History of Vaccinations. This is a very thin book covering the main events in history starting from how the vaccine was developed and includes the names of all the notable people who had contributed to its development. It was not very boring for me to read either considering that it is history!

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry, International Student Edition (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series)
by Richard A. Harvey PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Coming from a Student of Biochemistry., 9 April 2014
I am currently studying Biochemistry at University and the textbooks that we were mostly following were very wordy and very detailed that I struggled to determine what exactly was the information I needed to know and what I didn't need to know so I decided to purchase this book to read in conjunction with my University textbooks and also use as a revision aid without having to re-read long pieces of information again and again. I must say, I am so glad I went and purchased this book because it definitely worked wonders for me in the sense that it contained very important yet concise information and was easier for me to digest when I had to go through all my notes before my examinations. It is mostly used as a recap tool for me and so far it has helped me memorise a lot for me to pass my exams!

To add to this, my Fiancé picked up this book out of curiosity and decided to have a read so he could get an idea of what type of subject I am studying at University, and this book actually interested him (considering that he was never a science person to begin with and had not learnt any science since leaving Secondary School) to the point where he managed to memorise a lot of facts to do with Biochemistry and just like me, took a liking to the coloured diagrams in each page which also aided us both in the learning process, the aid of diagrams helped my Fiancé and I understand the concepts explained in the text. Because of this book, we have become study partners as he would read through this book together and he would digest information during his spare time so that he could help me with my revision!

Lenka
Lenka

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Album to listen to!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I'm so glad I came across this artist who in my opinion was quite unique in a sense that the music is not exactly the kind of "Pop" you'd usually get. Most of the tunes are quite catchy, childlike and upbeat, enough to make you feeling warm on the inside, it's a great album to listen to no matter the weather, even though it's quite short which is slightly disappointing but it still has its ways to make your day.
All lyrics are beautifully and cleverly written yet so simple and to the point that it's so easy to relate to (almost as if she read my diary!). I can only imagine the amount of pure talent Lenka has since she is able to pull off condensing human emotions and various realistic life situations in short songs! I can never get enough of this artist and have already decided to purchase her other albums!

Paris
Paris

5.0 out of 5 stars RELAXING.., 4 April 2014
This review is from: Paris (Audio CD)
I simply adore this CD, it is one of my personal favourites that I'd listen to in the comfort of my own home. Definitely has painted an accurate portrait of Paris and makes it feel like I really am in the romantic city!
I even have it on my iPod and whenever I'm sitting in a Cafe on one of those rainy days, all I have to do is just listen and I'd feel relaxed. It definitely is a wonderful selection of songs, very smooth and sophisticated.
I highly recommend this CD. I would also say the same about the other France CDs by Putumayo (which I also have in my collection): Acoustic France and French Cafe.
The price of the product was reasonable, Amazon service was excellent and product arrived well packaged and sealed.

LADIES MENS KIDS CANVAS PUMPS LACE UP ANKLE BOOTS PLIMSOLES HI TOP TRAINERS SHOES RED 4
Offered by Top Target Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these!, 26 Sept. 2013
Packaging for these hi-top plimsoles was excellent and arrived in great condition.
I purchased a pair in red for a costume I will be wearing soon, and I'm very pleased with the quality, it's definitely worth the price. I think even after the costume event I will be attending, I would definitely continue wearing these casually. They seem to be made to last for a really long time. They are also very comfortable, I had no problems with walking or running in them whatsoever.

Total Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method
Total Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method
by Helen Gilhooly
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to the Japanese Language., 23 Sept. 2013
I have decided to buy this product because I have heard so many good reviews about it. When I received this product, I found that it was definitely a method that worked for me because I prefer learning a language through listening and speaking more than sitting around than trying to memorise vocabulary and grammar from a textbook. To my surprise, I did get very far though this is product was intended for absolute beginners and teaches the basics, by the end of the whole course, I was able to hold small basic conversations with native Japanese speakers at a Japanese restaurant I went to.
I have just completed this course and I give this product 5 stars because during my time learning Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method, I didn't feel the need to memorise EVERYTHING straight away because there was a lot of repetition going on throughout the course anyway, which aided me in forming sentences correctly by myself and saying them out loud with confidence, while at the same time, memorising the vocabulary. For absolute beginners to the Japanese language, it is essential that there is repetition going on as it allows you to hear words and phrases over and over again and helps with my pronunciation too, when I listen to and repeat what is being said by the Japanese native speaker on the discs. I cannot stress enough how glad I was to find that they have included a native Japanese speaker in this course to listen to, the native speaker would always repeat words and phrases very slowly, that way, it is easy to say the words and phrases along with the native speaker.
I am very impressed with the grammatical points that were being raised throughout the course, it was very brief yet straight to the point and I found that it was easy for me to absorb, so I reckon that those who struggle with the Japanese grammar (like I did) would most likely find this product very useful. The more I learnt about Japanese grammar as I progressed through this course, the more I improved with my speaking because I learnt how to put words or sentences together in the correct order.
As you go through each disc, you find that you are able to form/say longer and more complicated sentences because each time you learn something new, you build up on it and also include other things that you have previously learnt. Basically, this course allows you to put everything you have learnt together.
On a side note, I have also decided to enrol on a Japanese course to continue my studies and I was very happy that thanks to this product, I wasn't so confused during my classes and I understood everything that was said and taught to me since I had the basics down, and even better.. I managed to hold conversations with my Teacher with confidence!

Talk Spanish - the Ideal Course for Absolute Beginners [Book and 2 x CDs] (BBC Active)
by Aurora Longo

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful., 27 Feb. 2013
This book is simply AMAZING.
At first when I did not know what to expect, I found it very overwhelming when I was listening to the native Spanish speakers on the accompanying CDs because they were talking extremely fast. However, I thought to myself that maybe it would be best to listen to Spanish as how it would usually be spoken if you were in Spain, therefore, I persevered when it came to the exercises in the book that involved listening to the fast talking and if I didn't understand or catch certain words they were saying, I'd simply play the whole track again until I understood it completely and moved on to the next task in the book.
I found that over time and with patience, I was able to get used to the way the native speakers were talking on the CDs and through mimicking the pace of their speech, I was able to gain an authentic accent and also managed to develop my speaking to a native speaker level.
I was a bit sceptical about this course at first because when I received it, the course book looked really short and I assumed that the material would be too brief, but I was very wrong when making this assumption because actually, I realised that although the material and exercises were short, it was so easy to understand and it was straight to the point, perfect for a beginner. If it were a bit more detailed, I would probably feel very confused and won't be able to memorise a lot of the things that I do now after having completed this course. I was actually very surprised to find that that there actually was a lot of material that was covered in this course in the end!
This book definitely was a very good introduction to the Spanish language, it's even more perfect for those who do not wish to learn how to speak the language fluently but want to know how to get around in Spain when on a holiday or a business trip. I personally believe that just knowing the basics of the language is good enough, but with that being said, I am about to start BBC Talk Spanish 2 because I have found that I want to progress further with the language. I have found this course very intriguing and very exciting, I always started new chapters every day whenever I was free and doing the exercises within the chapters and the end-of-chapter tests was so engaging that I had no problem memorising new vocabulary, phrases and some grammar notes.
I would definitely recommend this product for those who are complete beginners of Spanish, who know nothing of the language but want to start learning AND for those who need to learn some Spanish for a trip abroad.
However, I would most definitely recommend people to purchase the BBC Talk Spanish Complete Course as it comes with a Grammar Book as well as Part 2 of this course and the accompanying CDs.

First 1000 Words: Spanish (First Thousand Words Mini)
First 1000 Words: Spanish (First Thousand Words Mini)
by Heather Amery

5.0 out of 5 stars Muy bueno!, 17 Jan. 2013
I purchased this book for my 2-year-old Son and received this book today, I managed to have a flick-through and I am so delighted to see that this book is exactly what I wanted. The book is nicely laid-out in different categories such as the House, the Park, the Farm etc. and each category has its own list of words, the best part about this is that there are pictures associated with each word, so people who are new to Spanish are able to learn the vocabulary easily as the drawings give a good indication of what each word means. If the drawings aren't very clear as to what the word means (which I can admit, in some cases this has happened to me), you are able to easily consult the back of the book on the Word List page (this page consists of ALL the words in the book, written in alphabetical order) and beside it shows the meaning of the Spanish word in English, on top of that, there is also a pronunciation guide for each of the words at the back to help you achieve the authentic Spanish accent when reading out loud.

I am very happy to know that I have a very good and reliable resource for teaching my Son everyday words in Spanish, I purchased this book mainly because he took an interest in the language when I introduced it to him through interactive learning games on the internet and he has since been asking me, "What is this in Spanish? What is that in Spanish?" whilst pointing at various objects around him, and most of the time I used to feel a little frustrated because I don't know WHAT the particular word he's asking for in Spanish is when he is dying to know. Now with this book, I can easily tell him the Spanish words used for everyday objects and I am sure he would also be delighted with the lovely, colourful, cartoon illustrations in the book which would definitely draw his attention as we read through the book together and as mentioned before, he will find that he is able to associate the words with the colourful pictures next to them. Also, I am very happy with this book because not only can I now help my Son learn various words in Spanish, but I am also able to learn some vocabulary myself along the way!

The only problem some people may have with this book is the size because this is the mini-version of the original which is a lot bigger than this! This version is the pocket-sized version, however, this is not necessarily much of a problem for me and my child because if anything, we are able to bring this book everywhere we go as it fits perfectly inside his Baby Bag for when we travel.

The delivery service is also excellent, I am able to receive this book the next day after purchase AND it came in very good condition.

Start French (Learn French with the Michel Thomas Method)
Start French (Learn French with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars No Books, No Writing.. but it WORKS., 4 Sept. 2012
After hearing a lot of very good reviews on this product, I decided to purchase the Start French product. I was a bit hesitant at first because of the "No Books, No Writing" part and that it was 100% Audio (being able to read and write things I learn is a big thing for me because I'm more of a Visual Learner), however, to my surprise I managed to understand how the French Language works the more and more I listen to the individual tracks on the CD.. along the way, the Teacher provides brief but on point and EXTREMELY important information regarding pronunciation, it is especially helpful because a lot of French words have the same spelling in English but have different pronunciations!

After listening to just the first 5 Tracks, I have realised that I have managed to absorb EVERYTHING learnt so far without even realising it for myself (if that makes sense), I just somehow KNEW what to say out loud; but the bigger picture is I didn't even need to "memorise" everything the Teacher on the CD teaches me, he just gives me the right tools (some really useful Vocabulary) and I feel that I was given the opportunity to use my head and seriously think about how to say this and that using the Vocabulary that was provided. Gradually, as the Tracks are played one by one, the Vocabulary builds and thus allows me to make longer and more detailed sentences in French!

I can admit that I have not yet listened to the whole CD yet and people may think it a bit too early to write a review, but I wanted to write this particular review in order to stress the fact that only by listening to the first 5 Tracks on the CD, already I felt confident to play around with the Vocabulary and say sentences in French that wasn't actually taught to me on the CD.

Page: 1 | 2