Profile for LizWilliams > Reviews

Content by LizWilliams

LizWilliams "E S Williams"

Page: 1 | 2
Guernica
Guernica
by Dave Boling

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Guernica (Paperback)
The best novel I have read about the Spanish Civil War. I don't really understand why some people are comparing it to Corelli - the only similarity is the fact that it is set in the same period. Personally (and despite a lifelong love of Greece and a knowledge of Cephalonia) I thought Corelli was awful. This is a well written story showing the horrors of war and the impact on the people of Guernica.

Zen [DVD]
Zen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rufus Sewell

5.0 out of 5 stars Bella, Bella, Bella!, 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Zen [DVD] (DVD)
Or should that be Bello, Bello, Bello, since I am talking not just about the show but about Rufus? I absolutely adored this show and am totally annoyed (to put it mildly) with Danny Cohen for cancelling it, bearing in mind the dross that is shown on the BBC these days. I appreciate that it must have been relatively expensive to make compared to the average reality show which is cheap junk but you get what you pay for and it had good viewing figures for a Sunday evening slot. This was sophisticated, witty, with interesting and complex storylines, great scenery and a very good looking leading man and lady. What more could anyone ask for?

I can understand that some people who love the books might not be over enamoured as it can be difficult seeing a film or tv adaptation of a book when you have imagined things a certain way. I can also understand that there may be some people who are unable - or unwilling - to apply themselves and give programmes such as this the concentration and attention they deserve. However there is no way that this series was boring! I also don't really understand the fuss about accents - I barely noticed them, as far as I was concerned that is just the way the characters spoke and they do have regional accents in Italy you know!

A damn shame there will be no more but I shall sit and savour this dvd.

Pieces of My Heart
Pieces of My Heart
by Robert Wagner

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Paperback)
I have always though Wagner was a handsome, charming, decent man with what appeared to be a charmed life, with the exception of Natalie's death and that probably does sum him up. I enjoyed this book although it is a little episodic.

Comments have been made that he didn't go into enough detail about Natalie's death, but he discussed the basics - she died in a tragic accident and why should he tell us more than that? Although it is 30 years since she died and he has been married to Jill St John for almost 20, it is obvious that Natalie was the love of his life and she overshadows the whole book.

My Brother Michael (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)
My Brother Michael (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)
by Mary Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best, 27 May 2011
I have been a fan of Mary Stewart since discovering her when I was 16 (many years ago.) Of her romantic thrillers, this has always been my favourite. Her physical descriptions of Delphi and the surrounding areas take you there, her grasp of the horrors of WW2 and the ensuing Greek Civil War gave me my first interest in that terrible period.

A great book which entertains (and educates without you even realising it!)

Page: 1 | 2