Profile for Space Dog > Reviews

Space Dog

Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired
Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired

5.0 out of 5 stars The Georgia Satellites Album that never was, 28 Sept. 2011
I admit to being a romantic at heart and following the disappointment of the Georgia Satellites splitting in the early 90's, I like to think that this is the album that was never recorder by the band. The flavour is similar and there are at least half a dozen favorites on this album for me. But listening to it more often as you do, you get to appreciate the songs that little bit more and there's barely a poor song on the album. I'm yet to hear Dan's other solo stuff but hope that if it's along the same lines, I'll not be disappointed.

The album is certainly worth getting your hands on if you like all things Dan Baird. It won't disappoint.

In the Land of Salvation and Sin
In the Land of Salvation and Sin

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden classic, 28 Sept. 2011
I remember reading in the music press at the time of the Georgia Satellites splitting up that it was the death of rock and roll. Whilst not perhaps as strong as that, it was a great pitty that such a great band seemed to just dissolve away. I'd recently been to see them live in the early 90's during the Salvation and Sin tour and to this day it was the best gig I've been to.

The Georgia Satellites knew how to play good time rock and roll and with the addition of the humour and lyrical edge of Dan Baird were a formidable force in R&R. The Salvation and Sin album is arguably their best with the first half of the record being my particular favourite with heavyweights such as I Dunno, Bottle O Tears, Shake that Thing and Games People Play highlights for me. I don't think there's a stand out song on the album as there was on the first GS album and to a lesser extent the second Open All Night effort, but just put the beauty on, sit back and take yourself on a good time rock and roll journey.

How the albums have been de-listed staggers me, so if you get the chance to buy any of the three on CD for reasonable dough, don't hesitate. They'll be a lifelong reminder of how good things were in the old days.