Profile for Laura Naysmith > Reviews

Doctor Who: The New Series: The Diary of River Song
by Jenny T. Colgan
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this., 2 Oct. 2016
I'm a bit of a River Song fangirl and have always wanted a spin-off TV show but this is the next best thing, actually this is better than a TV show as none of the stories have been written by Stephen Moffat because, lets face it, the vast majority of the River stories have been needlessly complicated and so integral to the plot lines that as such they have not really been able to delve into the times when she doesn't hang out with the Doctor. The audio dramas let her out of his shadow and have adventures on her own and you can actually follow them without knowing much about her past at all but, as usually the case, the more you know the more you enjoy it.

The box set has 5 discs in it, the first 4 have one episode on each disc and each ep last an hour, the 5th disc is cast interviews. It is as hefty price for this set, £40 for the CD's and £35 for downloads but it really is well worth the money as there is very high production values and it really is just like listening to a TV show in terms of production. You could very easily spend £40 on a gig ticket and that would only last an hour and a half, if you're lucky ( 4 if you see Springsteen ) with this box set you will definitely want to listen to it more than once as there's just so much going on. While this is a River Song box set the Doctor does show up in the guise of 8 ( Paul McGann) and he doesn't know who she is as they haven't met you, so it doesn't mess with the TV continuity in anyway. In 'signs' we get a rather brilliant glimpse as to what Samuel West would be like if he was the Doctor, and after listening to this I would love to see that.

Stories:

1. The boundless sea
River gets involved in a recently uncovered Egyptian tomb

2. I went to a marvellous party
An invitation to a posh party leads River to finding a dead body

3. Signs
River is trying to track down a mysterious ship that is releasing dangerous spores into the environment. Her sidekick for this adventure is her Husband...or is it?

4. The rulers of the universe
The 8th Doctor and River get caught in the middle of a secret society and an alien race.

I would say that I loved all the stories and find it hard to pick a favourite but I think story one 'The boundless sea' by Jenny T Colgan ( Yes, the chicklit author...the T stands for Tardis...but you knew that, right?) would beat the rest to the top spot because I love classic horror films and this one had an old hammer feel about it, it also had zombie snakes. In saying that, having River meet 8 was just brilliant so number 4 would be high up too.

So, yes, despite the price tag I recommended this set whole heartedly. I genuinely think that River moving to Audio dramas is the start of a long and happy career with Big finish audio and would be great if they last as long as the Bernice Summerfield audios have, a cross-over with Benny would be just amazing too.

Series two is out in January 2017 and I cannot wait to get it.

An Unofficial Guide To The Pokemon Trading Card Game
An Unofficial Guide To The Pokemon Trading Card Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Jun. 2016
I loved this book, it really does what it set out to do. I don't play the paper version of the game but this book really helped me understand the cards and how to play the game which will help with the online version. I really want to collect the cards now...even though I'm 40 hehe! Luckily this book tells you how to do that and the best ways to store them.

The Beast in the City (The Bristol Murders Book 1)
The Beast in the City (The Bristol Murders Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 31 May 2016
In just reading the first line of this book I thought I was going to like this one...I was so wrong, because by chapter 5 I knew I loved it and now that I have finished it I can safely say that this is now a favourite book and can't wait to read more from this author. He should definitely charge more for his next book as he's worth it and I would gladly pay more.

Carol Shoes Women's Casual Concise Low Heel Assorted Colors Oxford Shoes (8, Dark Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing shoes, 4 May 2016
These shoes are brilliant and are very good quality for a very reasonable price. I did, however find that my right shoe pinched a little bit where as the left shoe fitted perfectly but this is a minor quibble and certainly hasn't spoiled the experience of wearing them.

Don't Moose With Her (Bearbank Book 1)
Don't Moose With Her (Bearbank Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 5 Dec. 2015
Every so often I want to read a book that is out of my comfort zone genre wise so I took the plunge and decided to read a book from the paranormal romance/ urban fantasy genre ( I don't know the difference, if there is one) and decide on this book and yes, in this case I definitely judged a book by its cover, seriously this is a great cover and the title...come on, how could you not even be a little curious? To my surprise I really enjoyed this novel once I got over the concept of people turning into animals. People turning into wolves is a concept I'm familiar with but when I read that someone turns into a Moose I was all ' she turns into a what?' ( yes, I talk to myself when reading. Doesn't everyone?) it's an an alien concept to me but this is par of the course in this genre...apparently. Once I got used to that I settled into the book and really began to enjoy it and was rooting for the central couple, a woman who turns into a moose and a man who turns into a wolf definitely the definition of a mixed race relationship. This author made me care about a heterosexual romance... Dammit! The plot about the serial killer kept me very engaged. Overall I enjoyed this book very much and will look forward to the authors next work.

Christmas at Carrington's (Carrington's Book 2)
Christmas at Carrington's (Carrington's Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great book but I found myself laughing at a typo ..., 8 Dec. 2014
It's a great book but I found myself laughing at a typo that really should have been caught by either the author or the editor. here's what it say's:
but after he husband spanked all their savings on his pigeons

For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker

5.0 out of 5 stars Confession of a non Poker fan., 5 May 2011
I don't like Poker but I like Victoria Coren so I bought the Kindle version of For Richer, For poorer thinking that I'll only get a couple of chapters in before getting bored. But Damn her and her friendly,chatty, funny and honest tale had got me hooked. I started to care about her friends and laughed at their stories and was genuinely sad when one of her friends died ( oh hush now! That's not a spoiler as I never said who it was)I loved that she just didn't plop the reader into the Poker world of Today but took us back to when she first started and along the way introduced us to Poker champions of their day. She didn't sugar coat the game and make it all sweetness and light, she mentioned the lows as well as the highs and that just made the book all the more honest and as a reader, who know's nothing about Poker, I was grateful for that. And their is a handy wee guide at the back of the book with a list of Poker terms and what they mean. Which isn't all that easy to access on Kindle but useful none the less. I came away understanding a little more of why this Game can pull people in

I still don't like Poker but I like Victoria Coren even more after reading this. So yes go buy it!!!!