Profile for R. D. Pearson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
ARCTIC F12 - 120 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan
ARCTIC F12 - 120 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 1 Jun. 2014
This is a really good fan at an excellent price. It would suit most builds but is probably best suited to a fairly high performance rig that needs a little more air through it to keep it cool. Yes you can hear the fans but in my experience you simply cannot have a good air flow unless the fan noise can be heard. I have tried quitter fans and for a lower power rig, not used for gaming then yes they work fine and are quieter but they are no good for gaming rigs.

I notice that artic do a range of fans with sensors. These could be good but don't forget that you can add a fan controller or some motherboards come with a fan controller effectively built in, so no point in buying more expensive versions of this if you don't need them, you can really only use one control mechanism.

The extra blades seem to genuinely move more air. There are fans that are quieter that move less air and fans than run at higher RPM that drive even more air however this fan seems a good performance fan at a low price.

It has a quality feel and comes with 4 fixing screws and a single standard 3 pin connector.

Evercool SB-F1 PCI slot system exhaust fan 42 CFM
Evercool SB-F1 PCI slot system exhaust fan 42 CFM
Offered by Shiny Hardware Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition, 1 Jun. 2014
Installed this below my graphics card to reduce overheating. It fits well in the PCI slot but depending on your clip you may have to bend or tweak it slightly as with other PCI devices.

It is a little noisy however if you are overclocking and doing lots of gaming you will probably not hear it. Also after extensive experimentation, I have discovered that with fans, the quiet ones tend to move less air whilst the faster, more effective ones tend to be noisier. I think this is a simple inescapable fact of physics. Interfere with more air faster creates more wind noise. In otherwords it is difficult to get a high air flow through your case without generating some noise from the fans. So if you want a powerful set up, it will get hot and you must cool, it so realistically some noise is inevitable.

In terms of comparison with a stock 120mm case fan like my artic Z12's this fan seems to move more air. It means that the warm air from the fans on the graphics card effectively gets exhausted straight out the back whereas in a standard configuration this air would have to go via the main rear exhaust fan or the top of the case. It seems to me that getting the air out of the case directly makes more sense than circulating it over the other components you are trying to keep cool.

Overall a pleasing addition. Personally I am glad I did not go for the more powerful version of this fan as this one moves quite a bit of air and although the more powerful one no doubt move more, I expect it would be a touch more noisy too. So I am happy with this compromise and also if this fan was too powerful I am guessing it might start drawing air down from the CPU fans above and that could be counterproductive.

Green 12ft Replacement Trampoline Surround Pad Safety Protection foam padding
Green 12ft Replacement Trampoline Surround Pad Safety Protection foam padding
Offered by Howleys Toy Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protector, 29 April 2014
This product is ok. It fits a 12' trampoline fine and just about covers the 7" springs. You have to pull a draw cord to tighten it as well as clipping elastics to the springs. Easy to fit. I think it will last longer than the original as the material looks long lasting and wipe friendly.

Personally I would have preferred it to be 1/2" to 1" wider but I am probably being picky and it is certainly fit for purpose.

Kingfisher DIYPUMP 400 W Submersible Dirty Water Pump - Green
Kingfisher DIYPUMP 400 W Submersible Dirty Water Pump - Green
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Pump, 29 April 2014
Early days but I have installed this into a pond. If you place it in a plant basket and surround by stones (not gravel) it avoids pumping the fish.

I only switch it on for an hour or two a day but need the head to power a stream and a waterfall. I am not sure you could use it continuously. Possibly not. It would also be quite expensive.

This pump does a good job. It replaced a similar 750watt unit and appears to achieve a better flow which I thought was surprising. That unit did the same job for around 10 years, so much better than a standard pond pump in my experience. Those seem to cost up to 10 times as much and only seem to last a few years.

If the stream gets blocked when I am not there then the lower pond can drain and it is good to know the float switch will stop the unit leaving insufficient water for the fish.

Good price, good pump.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasing item, 29 April 2014
This is a well designed toilet seat.

Both the lid and seat can soft close either separately or together.

The fixings result in only two very neat stainless steel feet being visible at the rear. The lid and seat is easily detachable as you can press some little buttons that enable you to lift them clear and this enables easy cleaning. It clicks firmly back into place.

You do need to tighten the fixings quite firmly to secure the unit firmly into position. In my opinion the fixings would fit most toilets as they are very adjustable.

It is comfortable to sit on and nicely shaped. A pleasing purchase.

Philips SHL5905GY/10 Citi Scape Uptown Style Over the Ear Headband Headphone with Universal Mic and Volume Control (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Branded and New Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 28 Dec. 2013
I have some £270 headphones, some £50 and some £20 headphones and have tried numerous more and less expensive ones in shops.

These are well made and comfortable. They sound quite hi fidelity and do bring the music to life.

Although the dark brown ones probably look slightly better, I decided on the silver ones because for me it is more about the sound and these were cheaper.

These must be one of the best value headphones in the price range. They also help screen out outside noise but are not noise cancelling as such.

Probably the best value sound for the cost on the market.

3 PAIRS MENS THERMAL WINTER WARM HOT HEAT SOCKS CHUNKY THICK 2.3 TOGS (MIX COLOURS, MENS 6-11UK)
Offered by Dentro & Fuori

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm although washing changes them., 14 Dec. 2013
These are lovely snug and warm socks. Ideal for a cold house or a cold bed.

When you wash them they seem to get a bit smaller and possibly thinner. Might be worth getting the size up fro the one you think.

If you have fairly close fitting shoes you will probably not be able to wear these with them.

Also there are three colours here.

Manchester United Pen Set
Manchester United Pen Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Manchester United Pen Set (Sports)
These a good pens that arrived promptly and well packed. They make a good addition to any Man U fans school pencil case.

Apple iPad Air 16GB Wi-Fi - Silver
Apple iPad Air 16GB Wi-Fi - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet, 6 Nov. 2013
My family and I liked our iPad 4 so much the only problem was sharing it among 5 people so I decided to get another iPad but waited for the "Air" so can now compare side by side.

Weight savings are very noticeable with the Air at 469g compared to the 652g of the iPad 4. That's 28% lighter. The difference feels more pronounced though because in truth the iPad 4 was a tad too heavy. The Air is much more manageable in the hand and feels somehow more like half the weight. The difference is actually between "a little too heavy" and "quite light". The Air is nearly 2mm thinner and whilst this is pleasing I think the weight drop is the more noticeable change.

When working off the same wireless network, same distance away, the Air opens websites slightly quicker, perhaps up to 1 second quicker. That is not a lot but when surfing it speeds things up somewhat. If you stream an HD video then not only does it open faster but the buffer on the Air establishes a greater margin than on the 4. In other words the Air is less likely to stall and more able to stream higher definition content.

The speakers on the Air are noticeably better. They are less tinny in general and have more bass than the 4 although neither are exactly Hi Fi.

The Air looks smaller than previous iPads as when in landscape, the outer upper and lower border is narrower making it 16mm smaller than the iPad 4. Same actual screen size though.

The screen images are the same quality on the Air and the 4. Same screen so not very surprising. I cannot detect a snappier or smoother response, both screens seem to be the same. Cameras appear to be the same also.

About a year ago after much musing and hesitation I bought an iPad 4. This has been in high demand with all family members ever since and is great. The Air is even better and will no doubt get heavy use. If you are wondering about needing a tablet and which one to get I would say that either the 4 or the Air are great tablets and are fun and useful tools. I tend to use MS Windows for general computing but somehow Apple has definitely won me over on the tablet front. I am actually surprised by my own statement at some level. I would recommend you try.

The downsides are the lack of Adobe Flash and camera flash, the ridiculous cost of extra storage and no SD/micro SD slot and the fact that the charger for the Air is not compatible with the 4. Personally I can overlook those issues but for the sake of balance they are worth a mention.

These are my initial impressions and I may add once I have played with the Air some more.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 7:50 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it, 4 Oct. 2013
I was struggling with an itchy flaky scalp and tried all sorts of special shampoos. None worked.

This immediately seemed to sooth and using once or twice per week completely resolves the issues I had.

I suspect that different shampoos will suit different people but I would highly recommend this and it would certainly be worth a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10