Profile for M. Buck > Reviews

The Falling
The Falling
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 10 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Falling (Amazon Video)
I have now seen it but I honestly have no idea what it was about.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2016 11:11 AM BST

Blackhat [DVD] [2015]
Blackhat [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Blackhat [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I fully confess I have not purchased this DVD. I saw the film in cinemas and it was awful. From the CGI visualisation of hacking to the hackneyed story, this is one of the worst films I've seen.

Holly Valance Poster Print A2 size
Holly Valance Poster Print A2 size

4.0 out of 5 stars Print quality a bit iffy, but a lovely photo, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Holly Valance Poster Print A2 size
It's a very nice photo, but the print quality has some minor imperfections. If you like Miss Valance that probably doesn't matter too much, but it's just a niggling little thing. Overall I'm very happy I bought this.

Star Trek: The Original Series: The Shocks of Adversity
Star Trek: The Original Series: The Shocks of Adversity
by William Leisner

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking, 7 Nov. 2013
With The Original Series, one can't really expect continuity. But sometimes it is just a bit more jarring than others. Introducing new races which never appear again can be problematic, especially when that new race is apparently a pretty powerful empire with technology on a par with the Federation. Beyond that, there is a seeming lack of scale - we find out about this strange area of space, and find out what causes it, but it's never quite explained whether everything beyond the first few chapters takes place within it or not. As a book it was diverting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Mens black faux leather shorts M L XL (Large)
Mens black faux leather shorts M L XL (Large)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, remarkably sexy, 7 Nov. 2013
The photo used to advertise this underwear does not do it justice. They are quite impressively snug and... showy. I can honestly say no underwear has ever made me feel sexier. They feel nice, and seem fairly comfortable. Different colours would be nice (although the black's pretty good), and I'd suggest buying a size larger than you think you need, but overall a pretty good product.

JQK Mens Sexy Trunk boxer Brief Zipper Underwear 306B3 (XL(34-36"))
JQK Mens Sexy Trunk boxer Brief Zipper Underwear 306B3 (XL(34-36"))

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small and totally missing the point, 7 Nov. 2013
First off, I am unsure in which world 34-36" waist counts as "XL". Honestly, I don't think someone could fit in these supposed XLs if they had a 32" waist. Beyond that, I had always assumed that the point of zips was that once the zip was undone, one would be able to get at what was underneath. Not so with these - there's a further lining inside. Perhaps that makes it more comfortable, I guess I'll never know, but it completely defeats the purpose of having a zip. I note that another reviewer stated they removed the lining, and that would seem sensible, but I personally believe that when one buys clothing, it should be fit for purpose without having to go unstitching it.

Vulcan's Soul #3: Epiphany: No. 3 (Star Trek: The Original Series)
Vulcan's Soul #3: Epiphany: No. 3 (Star Trek: The Original Series)
by Josepha Sherman

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 17 Aug. 2008
I bought this book only because I saw it in WHSmiths, and because I had the previous two in the series. If I had done that day again, and hadn't looked at the scifi section, I'd never have bought the book, as I found the first two parts of this trilogy frankly uninspiring. I bought the third part simply to be complete.

I put off reading it for several months, afraid that I'd find this book as similarly stodgy as Exodus and whatever the other one was called. However, I was happily surprised to find that this book was actually good. I actually felt compelled to care about the characters, rather than the blasé attitude I had previously felt. However, one good book isn't enough to recommend an entire trilogy, and on that basis I would not recommend that people buy the Vulcan's Soul trilogy, unless you read the crib notes versions of books one and two and then read part 3 in full.

Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
by Olivia Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather a disappointment, 17 Aug. 2008
I have waited a long time for this book - or it seems that way at least. For years, other Star Trek books have been telling me that it's coming, and now it's finally here.

I was disappointed.

I suppose that there's nothing wrong with it as such - the writing is all good, the cover style amused me, and side one looked like an excellent springboard for side two.

Unfortunately, at that point it unravelled. Now, it's not that side two was in any way bad - the story of Iliana Ghemor was written excellently, and certainly brought you to sympathise with her in a way that I find exceedingly rare for non-canon characters, ones created be Peter David and Keith R.A. deCandido excluded. However, at the end of the side, while you did have an excellent insight into the main enemy of this current saga, you ended up... nowhere. Actually further back, story-wise, than you were at the end of side one.

Realising that you have read a book which is part of a longer saga, but at the end of it are no closer to a resolution than you were at the start is disappointing indeed. It bring up unhelpful reminders of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and the Matrix Reloaded - in themselves good movies, but ones which utterly fail to advance the plot even one iota.

I'd still say the book is worth reading, but unfortunately only on the grounds that if you don't, the following ones won't make sense.

Stargate SG-1: Roswell
Stargate SG-1: Roswell
by Sonny Whitelaw

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride, 15 Aug. 2007
An utterly crazy book, but brilliant. SG1 go back in time and cause any number of calamities, including causing the Roswell crash and subsequent conspiracy. A main aim of the book seems to be to reunite the original SG1 for a mission, and in doing so it succeeds admirably.

HannsG HW191D 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Monitor, Silver/Black, 1440x900, 5ms, DVI, VGA, Speakers, 700:1

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky, 8 May 2007
I bought this monitor from Amazon and was quite impressed - the 1440*900 resolution is a joy, and it's nice to be able to use DVI input. However, it developed a stuck sub-pixel within a few days. I got it exchanged and have had no problems since.

Page: 1 | 2