Profile for Iain > Reviews

Content by Iain

Iain

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Aftershokz AS600PK Trekz Titanium Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones, Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars As A Runner These Are Amazing!, 5 Jan. 2017
As a distance runner I've tried a variety of headphones and to date there's always been something that annoys me about them, usually the cable position, the wind noise, the fit (or falling out), but most important of all, I spend a lot of time running on roads so it's crucial that I can hear what's going on around me.

These headphones are the first ones I've ever tried that address all of the reasons I usually end up ditching a pair and I now have the joy of running too music without the annoyances usually associated with it. Here's how they compare with normal headphones for the things I find important when running:

1. Ability to hear surroundings - This is the obvious advantage of this type of headphone over normal ones. You can still hear everything in your surroundings (providing you don't have them too loud obviously in which case they'll just drown out other noise). I can hear my footfall (which helps my rhythm), I can hear other people walking / running / cycling around me and I can hear cars approach long before I can see them.

2. Comfort - These are actually the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn for running. They hook nicely over your ears and the speaker position is just in front of the ear. In my case the rear band doesn't even touch my neck unless I'm looking up, yet they sit stable with no movement. On my first run with them I was aware they were there because it was unusual but now I hardly feel them and they don't cause any of the normal annoyances I find when running.

3. Ease of use - The buttons on the headphones are very well laid out. By my second run I was already used to the position of the controls and could easily turn the volume up or down, pause, resume and fast forward tracks all without breaking my stride. My only very minor issue is that the multi function button on the left hand side doesn't have an obvious "click" when you press it, so when trying to skip a track (two presses) there's always a moment when I think "did both presses work or did I only press it once to pause". In fairness to the headphones every single time I've double pressed to skip a track it has done it, but if the next song has a long lead in it does leave you wondering.

4. Wind noise / heartbeat noise - These two combined are the reason I couldn't wear in ear headphones when running, I could hear the constant pound of my heartbeat in my ears and also any wind noise seemed to be amplified. Since these don't sit in your ears they don't suffer from either of these issues. Wind noise is the exact same as if you weren't wearing them and the heartbeat thing doesn't happen at all.

5. Sound Quality - This is remarkably good. I was dubious as to whether bone conduction would sound the same as in ear but in many ways it's actually better. The sound is more like listening to a reasonable quality speaker at close range rather than headphones. Bass is OK as is mid and tremble. Sound is clear and open, if I were to compare them to normal headphones I would say they are better than standard "in ear" but not as good as good quality "on ear" ones.

6. Battery life - This is outstanding especially when you consider the size and weight. I got mine for Christmas, have changed once and have as of today spent 7 hour running with them and I haven't yet had a low battery warning. The manual states 6 hours but mine have already well exceeded that.

7. Phone calls - This isn't actually a function I planned to use but they do have it. While out on a run the other day someone did call me and answering was as easy as pressing the multi function button. I was on the phone as long as to say I was running, can I call them back so not a huge amount of experience of this function, however during that brief call I could hear them clearly and they could hear my clearly despite the fact I was running at the time so I'm going to say this also works well. Ending the call was just another press of the multi function button. I know they do have other features like call back the last dialled number but not something I can really comment on.

Summary - Excellent for running, or even general listening. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact I wouldn't run to music because I just couldn't get used to having headphones on when running, but these have completely changed that!

Varilight - 1 Gang 1 or 2 Way 400 Watt Push on/Push off Standard Dimmer Switch Classic White Plastic w - HQ3W
Offered by 1StopElectrics

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a couple of months of fitting, 6 April 2016
This is nice enough and easy to fit, but within a couple of months the knob had split and fallen off. It's not like it takes a great deal of abuse so not sure why that happened. Will try and glue it back together but given the price I'll probably just end up replacing it with another brand.

Rega Drive Belt
Rega Drive Belt
Offered by HiFix

3.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but aren't all audio parts, 6 April 2016
This review is from: Rega Drive Belt (Electronics)
It's a big sturdy elastic band, a mighty expensive one at that. I had to buy this as my old band had stretched and was slipping off but I did baulk a little at the price, not sure how they justify it being quite so much.

Having said that, it works and my LPs now sound like they should, let's hope it works for a good long time!

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop/Wallmount Switch
NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop/Wallmount Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, good solid case, but would be good if it indicated link speed, 6 April 2016
Bought this as the 8 ports on my TP-Link switch had filled up and I needed some more. I have this and the TP link both hanging off my Airport Extreme 1Gb ports and both switches also operate at the full advertise 1Gb speed.

Works out of the box without any setup, in fact there's no setup you can do other than plug it in. My only minor complaint about this is that the link lights don't tell you what speed a device is connected at. With the TP-Link the light is amber at 100Mbps and green at 1000Mbps, while this one just has a link light which doesn't indicate speed. It may sound like a minor thing but it can make troubleshooting a lot easier when you want to see why things aren't quite transferring as fast as they should be, a glance at the switch immediately eliminates the possibility of devices operating at the lower speed.

1byone Ultra-Slim Portable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Built-in Multi-touch Touchpad and Rechargeable Battery,UK Layout, Black
Offered by SeedPower

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but for me the range is around 1m, 6 April 2016
I'm not sure if it's the dongle I'm using (I tried two different ones) or the keyboard itself but the range on this thing is actually shorter than I would get from a wired keyboard!

I bought it to control a media PC which sits in a cupboard below the TV. To use it and ensure I don't get drop outs I have to crouch down next to the PC, kind of defeats the purpose of having a wireless one, as the whole point was that I could sit on my couch and control the media centre from there.

The device itself all feels a little cheap, which to be fair it was! The touchpad is scratchy though responsive enough (if I'm sitting on top of the PC), there's an on off switch to save battery but even if you don't switch it off it does seem to go into a battery saving mode and lasts some time between charges, which when you do need to is a standard micro USB.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2016 11:07 AM BST

Bulk Hardware BH00419 Unlacquered Pine Wooden Door Knobs Drilled for Woodscrew Dowel Screw, 35 mm 1.3/8 inch - Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Finished off some cupboard doors nicely, 6 April 2016
Bought these for some cupboard doors. Dipped them in stain and shook the excess off and they came out really nicely and finished off the doors well.

Oddly one of the six which I stained seems to have come out with a slightly different texture from the other 5, slightly more matt. Not sure if this was a different texture on it before staining or not as now that the stain is on it's hard to tell.

The come supplied with screws but they were a little short for my purposes so I replaced them with some of my own.

Science in Sport Protein Shaker, 700 ml - Transparent
Science in Sport Protein Shaker, 700 ml - Transparent

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job but leaks slightly round the rim, 6 April 2016
Bought this along with the SIS REGO Rapid Recovery drink. It works OK but has a few flaws.

First off, no mater how much I tighten the top when I'm shaking it furiously (which you have to do to get all the little bits of powder stuck in the corners to mix) a small amount of the liquid leaks out where the lid screws on. I'm only talking a few drops here but you would think something that's designed for the very purpose would seal properly.

Secondly is the fact that the powder catches in the bottom edges. I don't think that's a problem unique to this shaker but if I had to ask for something it would be a way to stop that happening!

The shaker works well and mixes everything nice and smoothly, the spout is easy to drink from and the pop on lid seals perfectly (better than the screw on section) so nothing comes out of that part while you're mixing.

Canon NB-CP2LH Power Pack
Canon NB-CP2LH Power Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says and simple to fit, 6 April 2016
Easy to fit, unobtrusive and makes the printer more convenient to use as you can pick it up and take it with you. It is largely external so makes what is a very small printer a little bulkier and a little heavier but unless you're trying to put it in a (large) jacket pocket it's that's not really going to be an issue.

Not a must by any means and pricey for the convenience of not being near a plug, but as it's not essential to the printers functioning it's up to you whether you think it's worthwhile.

I haven't run a full 50 of the claimed prints through it yet, but after a full charge I've done a few and had no issues. Be interesting to see how long it does last with my relatively low volume use.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15, Men's Running Shoes, White (White/Olympic/Limepunch 168), 10 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep coming back to the Adrenalines year after year, 6 April 2016
I keep coming back to the Adrenaline shoes after giving something else a try. This time it was the Ravenna but I found those started feeling thin after about 400 miles while the Adrenaline usually last about 100 - 150 miles more.

These have good support, are comfortable and I've never had so much as a blister during my marathon training while wearing them. The toe box is a good size though as always I bought a size bigger than my standard shoe so there's a decent amount of space. This iteration doesn't seem to have any huge changes over the last version I work (13s) which in turn didn't have a huge difference over the 10s I wore before that, maybe if I went from the 10s straight to the 15s I would feel it.

I've only done 20 miles in these so far but they are comfortable as expected, knee pains that I was starting to feel with my worn Ravenna's went away and I didn't have any odd niggles after a 13 mile training run this morning.

The only odd thing about this particular iteration is that the laces seem to be a bit longer than before. I've laced them up like normal and not used the top hole like normal, but there seems to be a lot more lace flapping around than on my previous pairs, might have to take them out and replace with something a bit shorter.

Energenie MIHO007 Double Wall Socket - White
Energenie MIHO007 Double Wall Socket - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice socket, shame about the overall system, 4 April 2016
Good slim profile and as easy to install as a standard double socket, but see my review on the Energenie system overall for the reason for the three stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2016 5:43 PM BST