Profile for Antonia Chalk > Reviews

Antonia Chalk (London)

Shadows Gray: The Lost #1
Shadows Gray: The Lost #1

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very good, 21 Oct. 2012
Sonnet Gray and her family are amongst the Lost - accidental time travellers who cannot control where or when they will wake up. They have spent the last few years making ends meet in modern America, but they can feel that a jump is coming. This is bad timing for Sonnet who has made friends in this time, and who may have just found her long lost sister...

I really enjoyed this book, it was a fascinating idea, and the writing was good. if anything, I would have liked it to be longer, but hopefully there will be a sequel.

Wonders of the Invisible World
Wonders of the Invisible World

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous, fantastical collection of stories., 14 Oct. 2012
I bought this book because the author had been recommended to me and this was the only available title of hers in the Kindle store. I wasn't entirely sure about it as I was really hoping for a novel - I'm not usually a fan of short stories.

This collection was however a revelation. There are more ideas packed into each short story than some authors fit into an entire series. I particularly loved "Knight of the Well" - I rather want an entire book set in that world. Another favourite story from the collection was "The Kelpie" - here McKillip is telling an old fairy story but the setting is a Bohemian, 19th century one and that made an old tale entirely new.

The writing is beautiful. Evocative without being flowery.

All in all I loved it, and i'd definitely buy more from the same author if they were available in the Kindle store.

Grave Memory: Urban Fantasy (Alex Craft Book 3)
Grave Memory: Urban Fantasy (Alex Craft Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 18 July 2012
This is the third in the Alex Craft series, and so far I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of the books. I particularly like the setting, which is a vividly imagined place populated by witches, Fae and mysterious Collectors amongst others. The heroine, Alex Craft is a Grave Witch who can raise shades of the dead and see ghosts. This makes her well placed in "Grave Memory" to investigate a series of mysterious supposed suicides. Along the way she finds out more about her heritage and gets closer to Death (a lot closer!)

I can't wait for the next one!

Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
Why Do Fools Fall In Love?

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable., 21 Feb. 2012
I must admit I chose this for my Kindle because of its cheap price. But I was glad I did, because I found it a very enjoyable read.

Shelby, an ex police officer turned minder wangles a job on a film set guarding one of its stars, Luke. A heart throb who never gets turned down, Luke is surprised to find himself falling for Shelby, a girl who has no trouble saying no to him. Unfortunately Shelby only has eyes for the film's sexy director, Ross..

I really liked the setting, seeing the film being made through Shelby's naive eyes was great fun. The plot was full of twists and turns but reasonably believable. But mainly I enjoyed the characters. Shelby in particular, was great. Yes impetuous, in fact every bit the Calamity Jane she was jokingly called, and I did sometimes sigh at behaviour that would have got her fired in a heartbeat in the real world. But in the context of the novel it worked, and I couldn't help but empathise with her choices.

I hadn't read the author before, and I wasn't sure what to expect especially as it looked like the book was self published. I needn't have worried, the writing was strong, there were no editing issues that I could see, and all in all it was easily as readable as a mainstream offering. A definite thumbs up.

Rubbish Boyfriends
Rubbish Boyfriends
by Jessie Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't enjoy this one., 19 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Rubbish Boyfriends (Paperback)
Where to start with "Rubbish Boyfriends." Well, although the writing is good, and the initial premise is great there are a few too many problems with this novel to make it really worth recommending.

First of all, although this is billed and indeed written as chicklit - light, humorous and romantic, it is at its core a rather sad story. We meet the heroine, Dayna, in the maternity ward having a baby. As she goes through the stages of labour she reminisces about the various rubbish boyfriends of the title. We are left guessing until the end who her baby's father is. Unfortunately the boyfriends are indeed as rubbish as billed - and with a couple of exceptions, two dimensional to boot. I won't spoil the end, but her final choice is a rather saddening one, particularly in light of revelations that come to light during the story about Dayna's family. We are supposed to believe that the rubbish boyfriend she ends up with has reformed his rubbish ways but sadly I can all too easily see Dayna reenacting her parents' marriage with her own choice of partner.

Also, while I really wanted to like Dayna, she was just too much of a spoilt brat to really root for. She flakes in and out of jobs, is bitchy and judgemental with her friends and family, and falls blindly in and out of her relationships.

My biggest problem with the novel though came with the introduction of a real person as one of the boyfriends. It totally threw me out of the story when I realised who the "character" was. Although I've read novels with historical figures as characters before, a contemporary novel with a real, living person as a key character just seemed really wrong. And unnecessary - why not just use a fictional equivalent which would have been much less jarring.

All in all, a bit of a mixed bag.

Ed King
Ed King
by David Guterson

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating reimagining of Oedipus Rex, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Ed King (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect from "Ed King", not having read this author before. I bought it when it was on sale in the Kindle Daily Deal and began it not knowing much beyond the brief online description.

With that in mind, it took me a little while to catch on to its basic premise - that "Ed King" is a reworking of Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex." (Yes, its obvious from the title once you know.)

The story is a slow burning but compelling one. Diane, a teenage au pair seduces/is seduced by Walter, the father of the family she is working for. The resulting baby is left on a doorstep and subsequently adopted by the King family. From then on you follow the story of these three characters as they live their lives. For the first half of the book you could quite easily read it as a quietly cynical satire on American society as the characters progress through the latter half of the twentieth century. But as this is "Oedipus Rex" retold, a particular plotline has to be followed and of course it is. By the time the story closes in the near future, Ed King (by now the rich and powerful "King of Search") has reaped what his parents sowed in an appropriately mythic fashion.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the only part that I felt awkward about were the authorial interuptions into the story which for me broke the flow. I really liked the liberal helping of Greek mythology running through the story (Pythia, Cybil, the Icarus story etc.) And although the characters are far from likeable they are pretty fascinating. All in all, definitely worth a read.

Bang Goes The Knighthood
Bang Goes The Knighthood

5.0 out of 5 stars Arise Sir Neil Hannon, 3 Jun. 2010
"Bang Goes The Knighthood" is the 10th album from the Divine Comedy, and the first release from Neil Hannon since last year's triumphant "Duckworth Lewis Method" side project. It is also the first Divine Comedy album to be released on Hannon's own Divine Comedy Records.

So I'd have bought it even if were a poor effort as artists doing it for themselves should receive all the support they can get!

I'm glad to say however that its a fantastic album. There is so much to enjoy here - stand out tracks include "Down In The Street Below", the utterly brilliant "Complete Banker" and my personal favourite "Have You Ever Been In Love"

I wholeheartedly recommend this as a purchase.

The Alesha Show
The Alesha Show
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable album, 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Alesha Show (Audio CD)
I liked "The Boy Does Nothing" but I loved "Breathe Slow" so I bought this album. Good move, there are loads of great songs here. My favourites are "Breathe Slow", "Lets Get Excited" and "Do You Know The Way It Feels"

Felt Fun Animals (Felt Fun) (Felt Fun)
Felt Fun Animals (Felt Fun) (Felt Fun)
by Ruth Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for early learners, 4 Feb. 2009
Both my daughters have loved this book - to bits unfortunately so I'm about to buy another!

Lots of cute felt animals, and various settings for them. Great for early vocabulary for animal lovers, also great for older "where does the shark live" type discussions.