Profile for T. Wong > Reviews

Content by T. Wong

T. Wong "the_ting" (Darlington, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of Mass Unemployment
The Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of Mass Unemployment

4.0 out of 5 stars A dismal digital future?, 29 April 2016
An insightful look at the consequences of increasing automation and the effect on expanding inequality as well as counters to the 'techno-optimists' that learning code and getting more qualifications provides job security.

If Walls Could Talk: An intimate history of the home
If Walls Could Talk: An intimate history of the home

5.0 out of 5 stars Eloquent and personable, 15 May 2015
A good and friendly narrative exploring the origin of the modern home. Good Tudor and Stuart detail as expected of Lucy Worsely

Hush Puppies Women's Ceil Slip On Off White 6 UK, 39 EU
Hush Puppies Women's Ceil Slip On Off White 6 UK, 39 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sept. 2014
Nice shoes

Distant Worlds II: More Music From Final Fantasy
Distant Worlds II: More Music From Final Fantasy
Offered by ffdistantworlds

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it wonderful (Suteki Da Ne)?, 17 Mar. 2014
I have been a collector of the Final Fantasy soundtracks ever since I played FFVII. As such I have an affinity to the works of Nobuo Uematsu who just seems to have this incredible ability to evoke the perfect emotion and memory associated with each track he composes. Thus, every track on this album produced vivid recollections of the each part of each game that these tracks are scored from. Of course, since this is Distant Worlds, where Maestro Uematsu can really let himself take full advantage of the Orchestra, so every piece is even better than when they were first played.

My favourite track, without doubt, is "Zanarkand" as I think it represents the ultimate musical metaphor. I am sure most listeners will either fall or have fallen in love with this track because it is just so beautiful. Every time I hear it, I sometimes cannot help but shed a tear since it represents both the enduring romance theme and the heartbreaking pyrrhic victory of Final Fantasy X of Yuna and Tidus. But what I mean by the musical metaphor for this track is when you listen to this track is that it has been re-scored so well, that it also represents the different aspects of water, which was the main elemental theme of this game: it starts as a slow trickle, eventually accompanied by the gentle pitter-patter of rain, which builds up into a stream, then a river and eventually leading out to the ocean, that becomes the emotional tsunami which sweeps you into its overpowering melody. I might be slightly(!) melodramatic here, but by far, the best track is Zanarkand, and there can be no questions about it.

However, all the other tracks such as "Man with the Machine Gun", "Prelude", "Melodies of Life", "Terra's Theme", "JENOVA", (and the others) can't help but also stir up your heart-strings! When it comes to Video Game Music, the fact that there is only the one original "Game Composer" being Nobuo Uematsu, you cannot help but be impressed by this album. Sure, there are other famous tunes and other famous composers out there producing music for games, but this soundtrack needs to be in your collection if you have any desire to call yourself an aficionado of this genre of music!

My Dining Hell: Twenty Ways To Have a Lousy Night Out (Penguin Specials)
My Dining Hell: Twenty Ways To Have a Lousy Night Out (Penguin Specials)

4.0 out of 5 stars short-crust but sweet, 29 Jan. 2014
A nice collection describing not-nice restaurants. Pithy and amusing as is typical Jay Rayner. Worth getting if you're a fan

A Greedy Man in a Hungry World: How (almost) everything you thought you knew about food is wrong

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasoned and entertaining., 12 Jan. 2014
A good overview of the current arguments surrounding food supply, ethics and the global market in Rayner's engaging, witty style.

Litter Locker II Refills 1 x 12 Pack
Litter Locker II Refills 1 x 12 Pack
Offered by Paws To Your Door

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of litter lockers!, 29 July 2013
Very pleased with the product and helps so much with cleaning up cat litter! Very prompt delivery and very much a bargain!

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Xbox 360)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Raizean

3.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for the L-O-N-G battle..., 16 Sept. 2012
I must declare that Tekken is not my favourite fighting series and that before this version of Tekken, the only other version I played properly was Tekken 6. Secondly, I am not a hardcore player of beat-em-ups, so this review will not be technical, as I am not one for analysing animation frames and being tactical - I play for fun. As it stands, when I played Tekken 6, I quickly gave up playing online, because I would be beaten repeatedly because the only players online are those who are extremely good. Therefore, they put off casual players like me. So no review on the online aspects this time.

Anyway, what all beat-em-ups try to do, of which TTT2 is no exception, is to have a decent story mode. I expect it has always been troublesome for the developers to think up of good background stories for their characters. Tekken 6 did have the obligatory prologues and epilogues in arcade mode for the purists, but there was also scenario campaign which actually had a developing plot focussing on the two new characters at the time, Lars and Alisa. (Tekken 5 had done something similar with Devil Within, but it was much improved in Tekken 6.) I was kind of hoping for something similar in this game, but sadly, "Fight Lab" is merely a glossy tutorial mode, which practically insults the intelligence of most gamers. In addition, it is a mode which I happen to be struggling with as I feel that the learning curve is quite steep.

Arcade mode is how it has always been with you playing through several stages of random opponents until you get to the final stage and have to overcome a final boss character who heavily outguns you with ludicrous moves that take you out in one blow or an infinite combo which you cannot escape. I was extremely frustrated by the last boss, because even when you have clearly knocked out that last bit of blue in the energy bar, they just keep on coming to steal that victory from you. Of course, you could just say it is because I am not a good enough player, but why have all beat-em-ups decided on the same idea of having a stupidly hard character to beat? Just for fun, could not the developers just not make the last guy a little easy, just for fun? Hence, the title of my review.

Then there is the customisation of the characters. I am glad that this feature is back from Tekken 6, but unlike that game where you could repeatedly play the scenario campaign and get potentially new things each time which actually served the purpose of helping you through scenario campaign, the customisation in TTT2 is mostly decorative - great, only if you are considering playing online...

I am focussing the review on just these areas because I really appreciated them in Tekken 6, but in TTT2, it seems most things here are not really innovative at all. I am disappointed because I was expecting more than just eye candy (if I wanted that I would be waiting for Dead or Alive 5!).

My low-medium rating reflects my disappointment. It still looks nice and it plays like Tekken, but there ain't much else. I'm also quite peeved about not being able to use the analog stick for directional input and being forced to only use the D-pad! And if it is all about the online features, well, I would just like to point out, that Tekken is mostly an arcade game, and there is certainly nothing online about that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 4:19 AM BST

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective
by Ransom Riggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the elementary bits right, guv!, 14 Feb. 2010
I was very intrigued by this title being a long time fan of Sherlock Holmes and his deductive methods. However, I did feel a bit cheated as I had hoped for a little more depth. It is a nice book but although its preface suggests that this book is for both aficionados and newbies to the world of the great detective, I did not think there was as much substance for readers who are reasonably informed about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's creation like myself. Furthermore, I was sorely disappointed by the fact that this book's author was an American, which leads me to think this was a bit of a "cash-in" rather than a book written solely for the subject. I was also further dismayed when in the chapter discussing sporting activities in Victorian England, that the term "soccer" was used. This, by itself, is not what upsets me, indeed that term was very likely a term used by the ordinary Victorian gentleman of the day. However, because the writer fails to acknowledge that readers in the UK know soccer to be simply as "football", and for readers who like to scrutinize details (such as other readers of Sherlock Holmes, no doubt), this little bit would have easily been overcome if this was acknowledged. Anyway, a nice little gift book, but only for those with a passing interest in Mr Holmes.

Maneki Neko Feng Shui Lucky pink cat for love and happiness
Maneki Neko Feng Shui Lucky pink cat for love and happiness
Offered by Gifts Of The Orient Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Super lucky cat!, 22 April 2009
My girlfriend and I first saw these wonderful little creatures in the British Museum in London. They were the cutest items that they sold, and we decided to buy the pink one (representing love and happiness) and the yellow one (representing financial success). Included with the cats is a little description as to which direction you will need to place the cat to maximise the "feng shui" so that you will receive the appropriate good fortune. I cannot say for certain how lucky these cats have been to me, but they certainly do occupy the centre of our mantlepiece. They are such a lovely gift, but if you are like me, then you won't be satisfied until you get the full set, which by the way are pink, yellow, white, green, black and red. Just so you know, in Cantonese, the literal translation of these feng shui cats, which adorn many Chinese households, is "super lucky cat"!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 12:58 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3