Profile for Ian Williams > Reviews

Content by Ian Williams

Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kong: Skull Island [Blu-ray + Digital Download] [2017]
Kong: Skull Island [Blu-ray + Digital Download] [2017]

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly decent job, 25 July 2017
I'll be honest, when I first heard about it and watched the trailer, I wasn't too impressed or particularly interested. The reviews, however, tended to be complimentary, so I thought I'd give it a chance.

Well, it's no original King Kong (as if anything could be as good as my favourite film ever) or even Peter Jackson's honourable remake/tribute. That said, I enjoyed it a lot; good cast, excellent effects, always involving. Kong was too damn big for my liking but I can see why did it that way. Definitely worth a look.

And there's a post-credits scene, that I almost missed because I was typing this, which....

Silentnight Ultrabounce Plus Pillow - White, Pack of 4
Silentnight Ultrabounce Plus Pillow - White, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars These pillows on top of a Silentnight mattress equal a good night's rest., 3 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until I got these pillows I'd always assumed the ones I used were medium -okay I never paid much attention- but I found these firmer than I was used to. This is not a criticism as I was very pleased as it was just what I wanted. Clearly I'm not a connoisseur of pillows but I know comfort when I find it and these are very comfortable. Never mind the hypoallergenic whatnot, unless it's applicable to you of course, but if you want a good set of quality pillows, here they are.

QualGear VR1-B-1-P 3/4-Inch Velcro Cable Ties Roll - Black
QualGear VR1-B-1-P 3/4-Inch Velcro Cable Ties Roll - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for securing cables, 19 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only use this for cables, though I can see how it would be useful for anything else which needs tidying. It is simple and easy to use and very convenient. I would have given it 5 stars but for the slightly high price (even though it came free for review), but it is good and secure and worth getting.

Teen Titans Judas Contract [DVD + Digital Download] [2017]
Teen Titans Judas Contract [DVD + Digital Download] [2017]
Dvd ~ Stuart Allan

3.0 out of 5 stars Undemanding fun, 26 May 2017
Revised and modified to fit in with the current DC universe, the only connection with the original Wolfman & Perez storyline is Terra working with Deathstroke to bring down the Titans, but that's okay as it works fine.

It opens several years earlier with a prologue when the original lineup meet Starfire for the first time. 'Now' Starfire is the leader of the new young team and Dick Grayson (her long-time boyfriend and now Nightwing) is back to see how things are going which is the group harrassing Brother Blood's organisation and Brother Blood is paying Deathstroke to take down the Titans.

It's an entertaining enough fun and action piece with plenty to hold the interest but in all honesty it's nothing brilliant. Three stars is maybe a bit harsh so call this rating three and a half. Undemanding fun with enough to justify the 12 rating.

Cornell 5/8/77
Cornell 5/8/77
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars It's here so you can throw out all your other live GD albums, you don't need them any more., 23 May 2017
This review is from: Cornell 5/8/77 (Audio CD)
Only joking! I know Dead fans would sooner cut off their right hands than get rid of a single one. But this really is that good.

It helps that the lineup is my personal favourite as Keith Godcheaux was their best pianist and wife Donna's vocals added a breadth to band's sound. It also helps that it opens with New New Minglewood Blues, one of my favourite tracks. But more than that, the sound really is brilliantly sharp and clear and the performance is one of their best. There's a spark to their playing, a sharpness and dexterity to their interplaying. This is particularly noticeable to me having recently listened to the 21Dead 6 concert radio broadcast box set from 1971.

For me, this refreshes the parts that other Dead shows don't reach. No Dead fan should be without it.

Marvel: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World (Marvel Fiction)
Marvel: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World (Marvel Fiction)
by Shannon Hale

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of an average thing, 4 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is basically an origin story for USG (if you think I'm going to type out her full name every time, you're as nuts as she is) and it's set four years before the Marvel comic. (Just to make sure we're on the same page, this is a children's novel which is all words and NO pictures.) I'm also tempted to include footnotes like the book and comic but that would be very annoying and distract from what is being written. Just as it is in the book and the comic, particularly the book, where they are an unnecessary distraction from the story being told. Here, Doreen Green (aka USG) and her parents have just moved across country and she's start at high school and is looking for friends, human and squirrel, and learns how to become USG. Which she does.*

*Spoiler**

**See what I mean?

In a nutshell (sorry), it mostly lacks the quirky naive charm of the comic. The authors try to put that in there but it doesn't work. It will probably appeal to die hard fans of the comic (which I have read and liked, to a degree) and I did like the early parts of this book but...*

*Your reviewer wants to add, irelevantly, 'not enough'.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray]  [2017]
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray] [2017]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars A completely unnecessary prologue., 17 April 2017
Despite an initial lack of enthusiasm when I heard about it, a succession of good reviews encouraged me to buy it. Halfway through watching I was so fed up that I took a break to go onto Facebook for a moan. I did force myself back to watching it and, to be fair, it did pick up, just not a lot. I felt I'd seen it all before in the other Star Wars films and, really, it added nothing. We already knew that the rebels would obtain the plans of the Death Star and this is just how it happened which is basically running around fighting and lots of space battles with nothing new. The title of my review says it all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2017 12:46 PM BST

Vax CCMBPV1T1 Power Total Home Vacuum Cleaner, 2.2 Litre, 800 W, Red
Vax CCMBPV1T1 Power Total Home Vacuum Cleaner, 2.2 Litre, 800 W, Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., 15 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good bits. Quite a powerful suction, better than I expected. Easy to use and maneuver. Easy to empty. Genuinely compact.

Not so great. Doesn't manage to reach the top of the stairs so some lifting involved, like every vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. While it may be light compared to similar machines,it isn't 'light' light especially if you aren't as young as you used to be.

But overall it's a good little vacuum cleaner and worth getting.

Just For Men Control GX Shampoo, 147 ml
Just For Men Control GX Shampoo, 147 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe, maybe not, 12 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't like giving three star reviews as they're neither nothing nor something, but that is how I feel about this product. I've used it as instructed and it has, somewhat unevenly, darkened my hair and to no great effect. I saw a couple of friends today for the first time since starting to use it and they only noticed a slight difference on the top of my head when I mentioned it to them. Possibly I made a mistake using it just after have my hair cut quite short, possibly not. Perhaps it wasn't so effective with my hair actually being all white rather than grey.

I'm not vain about my appearance (and have no reason to be) and was offered it free for review on the Amazon Vine programme. I did so mainly because I thought the results might give my friends a laugh but it didn't even do that. So, neither nothing nor something. Sorry about that.

But if you do give it a try, and it may work better for you, make sure you clean up properly after use as it does stain more than your hair.

Caltiki the Immortal Monster [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
Caltiki the Immortal Monster [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
Dvd ~ John Merivale

5.0 out of 5 stars The first horror film I never saw., 10 April 2017
1962 and I was fourteen. For British teenagers of that age and era, sneaking in to see horror films (rated X-certificate -no-one under 16 admitted) was a rite of passage. I went with a couple of schoolmates to see Caltiki which was playing at the Royal, a local fleapit where the staff believed any spotty kid who said they were sixteen. This was to be my first horror and I lasted fifteen minutes before I was so scared I left. I expected, when word got round the class, to be mercilessly ribbed but surprisingly that didn’t happen -possibly because it scared the crap out of my friends. Instead I started going to see them on my own, as much to prove a point as anything.

But I’ve always wanted to see this one ever since. For many years I couldn’t even remember the title until I came across of a review of Caltiki and realised this had to be it. It wasn’t until a relatively few years ago that I finally managed to get my hands on a copy, probably pirated and very grainy but I certainly remembered that beginning. And, for the time, the beginning was quite scary and I could understand why I’d walked out and there were a couple of gory scenes which might have had me wetting my pants back then. It’s basically a Mayan blob-goddess which attacks a team of archaeologists exploring a flooded Mayan temple (the really scary part of the film) and gets taken back to Mexico City. There’s also a bad guy who kills several people there as he’s been driven mad by having half his arm eaten by Caltiki, but he wasn’t very nice anyway.

So, Arrow Video have just issued this super-duper special remastered edition which looks just great. There’s a good booklet, two commentaries, one by Tim Lucas who wrote a highly-praised book about Mario Bava. As Kim Newman explains, in a short documentary putting Caltiki in the context of 50s SF movies, Bava did pretty much everything in the film except direct the actors. If you’re going to do a special edition of a cheap -and in all honesty not that great- monster movie, this is the way to do it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20