Profile for Ian Williams > Reviews

Content by Ian Williams

Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
RC iPad 2 3 4 Case, Luxury Smart Case - Slim Front PU Leather with Soft TPU Back Cover (iPad 2 3 4), Red
Offered by Rhino Cases

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good., 28 May 2016
I received this free for an honest review, so here it is.

First off, I've been used to a more heavy-duty faux-leather style cover which is getting worn and well cat-scratched so I did need a new one. Not sure how well the plastic top will withstand cat claws. The top is also very loose, sliding a little across the screen, and opens as soon as you pick it up without any help from you. That, however, is all the less than positive things I have to say.

The Ipad itself is held very securely in the case and the cut-out sections for the function buttons, charging socket, speaker grill, camera, are all very neat yet accessible. The whole thing is neat and much lighter and a little smaller than my previous case.

Can't say I'm in love with it but it is definitely worth considering.

Non Slip Matting Black
Non Slip Matting Black
Offered by All the Way Home

1.0 out of 5 stars no good for pedal exercisers, 28 May 2016
I bought this to stop my new pedal exerciser from moving on my laminate floor. Rather than stopping it, it makes it easier. So, no good for pedal exercisers.

Vanwalk Travel Umbrella - "Dupont Teflon" 10 Resin-Reinforced Fiberglass Ribs - Auto Open Close Button,Sturdy, Portable and Lightweight for Easy Carrying, Windproof
Offered by Vanwalk

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you review an umbrella when it's sunny?*, 20 May 2016
I received this free for an honest review, as they say, at the beginning of this week when the sun was out and clouds were noticeable by their absence. So, not exactly perfect weather by which to evaluate an umbrella. Several days later, today, I got up and the sun was again shining and I went swimming, leaving the umbrella at home. When I left the sports centre the sky was grey and the rain hurtling down and I got soaked just getting to my car. As soon as I got home, I rushed into the house, grabbed the umbrella and darted back outside and walked around, what would have been my front garden had not the previous owner block paved it, looking like an idiot to anyone passing by. Still, it did mean I finally got to evaluate the umbrella.

I pressed the button and it opened with a smooth fast swish. It felt comfortable in my hand and was wide enough to easily keep the rain, and it was a heavy downpour, off me. I walked around for several minutes just to check, adjusting the angle as I went, and, nope, not a drop got through. I pressed the button to close it and -zzzip- it closed smoothly and quickly and I left it to dry off in the lobby while I wrote this review and -excuse me a moment while I check it- yes, it's already almost completely dry with just a few tiny beads of water on the canopy remaining.

And- perfect timing- the sun has come out again.

So, to sum up: small when closed, opens smoothly and quickly, comfortable to hold, keeps the rain well off, closes smoothly, dries quickly. What more could you ask for in an umbrella?

* Pray for rain.

Digital Folding Pedal Exerciser Helps To Restore Muscle Strength & Improve Blood Circulation Mobility Aid
Offered by Uk Mobility Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 18 May 2016
I'm going to be completely honest here, I've only been using this for five minutes and am impressed with it already.

I had a knee replacement at the beginning of the year and recovery has turned out to be a much slower process than I expected. I have been receiving physiotherapy at the hospital but that is only for a limited period and I've found the exercise bike to be the most useful. Another physio I've been seeing for a different problem recommended a pedal exerciser as it does what I needed the exercise bike for but without the bike itself. I read the reviews of several different makes and settled on this one.

Unlike at least one other make I read about, this is ready to use straight out of the box apart from having to screw in the tension knob (hardly difficult). You have to find out which position is best for you which depends on what you need it for. For me that was with it almost directly undermy feet to force my knees to bend as much as they could. Although I bought a mat with it (not yet arrived) it seems pretty stable without.The digital readout is pretty clear as are the instructions in the short booklet for using the exerciser and changing the battery.

So basically, find which chair is most suitable for you to use it with and the most appropriate location -for me, it's a hard wooden chair in the kitchen with a view of a corner of my living where the television is; I like to be distracted if possible when I exercise to a book or my Ipod would also be fine.

There you are, sorted. All you need now is the discipline to keep at it so it doesn't end up as one of those gadgets that end up in a cupboard.

Update: I would recommend buying a rubber mat with as it does move albeit slowly.. Eppur si muove.

Uprooted
Uprooted
by Naomi Novik

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing fantasy novel., 17 May 2016
This review is from: Uprooted (Paperback)
Bought this firstly because it sounded interesting and secondly because it had just won the 2016 Nebula Award (voted on by the Science Writers of America -which includes a lot of non-americans) a couple of days earlier. As you can guess from my rating, I don't regret it.

You've seen lots of other reviews so I'll spare you the details. Suffice to say that it's well written with a sympathetic protagonist and narrator. It's quite original for a fantasy -I've been avoiding the genre in recent years- with a relatively narrow focus so you don't get swamped by dozens of characters and a massive background which why I've been avoiding fantasy in recent years. At times it feels like it could have done with editing and yet I would have happily continue reading if it had been twice as long.

GreenPan, Venice, Ceramic Non-Stick 18cm Saucepan with Lid
GreenPan, Venice, Ceramic Non-Stick 18cm Saucepan with Lid

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good and durable saucepan., 9 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very good, solid, heavy and decent sized saucepan. It comes with a meticulously detailed booklet which, if you follow precisely, will help it last for many years. Which reminds me, I need to buy a plastic spatula. I've cooked a couple of sticky things in it and washed very easily. Highly recommended.

Sugru Home Hacks Made Easy Starter Kit with Single Use Packs and Descriptive Guide in a Tin - Multi-Colour

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are of a practical nature, worth a try., 9 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not quite convinced by how wonderful this. It didn't do a great job of sticking a thin strip of wood to stone but it's possible it wasn't supposed and I'm not the most practical of people. On the other hand, it made a nice secure hook on the back of my living room door on which I hung a calendar, though I had to shout at a friend to stop him hanging his leather jacket on it.

Limitless [DVD]
Limitless [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but..., 30 April 2016
This review is from: Limitless [DVD] (DVD)
Reasonably entertaining but the TV series (which is actually a sequel that includes Bradley Cooper as an occasional guest star) is a lot more fun and is the reason I bought this DVD.

Horror Movie A Day: The Book
Horror Movie A Day: The Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, but not in a good way., 26 April 2016
I've been following the original website for longer than I can remember and it's the first place I go for horror movie reviews so it was inevitable that I'd get a copy of the book. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work.

The simplest and best way to do it would have been for Collins to pick his favourite 365 reviews, then edit, update and do a quick polish if necessary. That's all. But what he's done is something completely different.

First off he's given each month a theme which makes it very easy to skip if you have no interest in, say, Asian horror -I do as it happens.. It also means that each theme is weighted pretty much evenly -28-31 reviews. Then he's edited each review down to around two paragraphs which may involved reducing it by up to 90% which is way excessive. He's then added supplementary material in the form of second thoughts and/or new information. The result is that you get very little of the flavour or content of the reviews as originally presented online. It's as if Collins turned into a mad scientist and created an ugly creature out of something once very attractive.

Patimax Litter Baby Powder Deodoriser
Patimax Litter Baby Powder Deodoriser

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this one, 14 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basically, it works. It has a pleasant smell which kills the nasty ones, though it obviously helps if you give the litter tray a good clean after emptying it. Definitely worth considering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20