Profile for Nik Greene Author > Reviews

Content by Nik Greene Author

Nik Greene Author "Author of 'False Accusations' OUT NOW" (Correze, France)

Porsche 914 - An Enthusiast's Guide
Porsche 914 - An Enthusiast's Guide
by Richard Gooding

5.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten Porsche will be remembered now, 5 Nov. 2016
Excellent and informative and written in a friendly style

The Everything Private Investigation Book: Master the Techniques of the Pros to Examine Evidence, Track Down People, and Discover the Truth
by Sheila L. Stephens

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything or Nothing, 21 April 2011
I was not overly enamored with this book, although I gave it 3 stars for the odd snippet of information I found useful
It was rather bloated with very basic information around a simple topic.
Instead of referring to the 'operative' or suchlike the author always referred to the operative as a she and it felt like the author was making a point!
There is a lot of reference to specific websites for more information but it would have made a better book had 'she' actually written more comprehensively.
Although there is a little international reference it would be more helpful to an American based PI as there is a fair bit of 'State' reference
I got it fairly cheap so not overly disappointed...

Crescent Dawn (The Dirk Pitt Adventures)
Crescent Dawn (The Dirk Pitt Adventures)
by Clive Cussler

3.0 out of 5 stars Better but not quite Cussler of old, 6 Mar. 2011
In the 1980s and 90s I waited with bated breath for another Dirk Pitt Novel. Although they always fitted a similar format the historical, geographical research and the 'teams relationships' was well done and made the adventure exciting.
Things changed when Dirk jnr and Summer came along, they had the effect of watering it down.
His recent novels, this one included just remind me of the constant flow of US movies following the same old format purely to get bums on seats. Yes I am sorry Mr Cussler I feel you are doing the same. As a writer myself I know how hard it is to 'keep ones name out there' but I am sure I speak for many when I say surely ONE good book is worth 10 mediocre ones!
What topped it for me this time round was the vision of Buckingham palace as seen from Lambeth Palace; just like a US movie when in a car chase or even a taxi ride around London out the window one sees every notable landmark in the space of 2 minutes. There was no excuse because his other location while in the UK around Dover was spot on.
I hope Dirk jnr and Summer get more integrated into the stories in the future. This time round I found their part of the story very disjointed. Both Summer and Dirk Jnr got into serious trouble in the UK and Turkey, Dirk Snr being their boss and father knew nothing about it until there chance meeting in Turkey!!
Lets go back to the quality of the one or two books a year, early adventures in some way. Either that or have a catastrophe and wipe the family out once and for all...

False Accusations: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Dirk Pitt, 11 Dec. 2010
Move over Dirk Pitt for the young pretender Sam Marsh
I judge a book by how I feel when I close it; I was sad that the end had come and I had to go back to the real world.

Although primarily a children's author I have read every one of Robert Bullocks books, I believe he writes not just for children but for the child inside everyone, well thats my excuse anyway at the age of 46!
The Sam Marsh book is no different, the book documents a mere 6 days in the life of Sam Marsh that will change his life and the the lives of everyone around him. From rocket chairs to robots, submarines and fast jets the fast paced action and adventure reminded me of the countless adventure books I read in my teens and preteens unfortunately now forgotten by the youth of today.
I am a fan of Clive Cussler and the Dirk Pitt adventures but think that RJB and Sam marsh will be a contender for the top spot very soon
Do yourself a favour, turn off the TV and immerse yourself in a real boys own adventure
When is the next one? I will be waiting!

Anger Management for Beginners: A Self-Help Course in 70 Lessons
Anger Management for Beginners: A Self-Help Course in 70 Lessons
by Giles Coren

4.0 out of 5 stars Life according to Mr Coren, 7 Aug. 2010
I gave it four stars instead of five as I don't think this is anger management for the masses but for Mr Coren to obviously exorcise his demons by entertaining us with them. And that he does; I laughed out loud uncontrollably at times even if I agreed or disagreed. Perhaps he would add that to the book "people laughing out loud in public!!"
I wish I had the nerve to express in the same way but it was a good hoot reading Giles doing it for me
I am going to buy more of his books

The SAGE Dictionary of Criminology
The SAGE Dictionary of Criminology
by Eugene McLaughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth the extra, 21 July 2010
I use this book extensively as a refresher, sometimes as a criminologist one can get set into threads and not deviate.
This was well written in an easy to understand layman's way
A bit on the expensive side but well worth the extra few quid!!

Criminology: A Sociological Introduction
Criminology: A Sociological Introduction
by Eamonn Carrabine

4.0 out of 5 stars Criminology stripped bare, 21 July 2010
As a criminologist myself I found it refreshingly easy to read
From the basics to deviant behavior laid open for easy understanding
I recommend it for students, newly interested and qualified alike at times it gave a fresh outlook on clichéd event sociology
I gave it a 4 and not a 5 as at times it rambled to make a point

Noah Ramsbottom and the Cave Elves
Noah Ramsbottom and the Cave Elves
by Rob Bullock

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical adventure, 10 Jun. 2010
I bought this book for a birthday gift for a friend.
Then had to go and buy another as I took a sneaky look then finshed it all in one go!!
I read anything but it truely was a GREAT READ, supposedly for children or the child in all of us

by Robert Bullock

5.0 out of 5 stars "Spy kids" eat your heart out, 9 Jun. 2010
Having read Rob Bullocks "Noah Ramsbottom and the caved elves" and enjoyed it immensely (even though I am an adult, most of the time) I thought "Sam marsh" would be more of the same but was surprised. One really is transported at break neck speed into the life of this lad through the bad times and into the good. For me he brought back childhood thoughts of living in different world.
I hope Rob serialises Sam Marsh; In my mind a must read for children from 8 to 88

The Stalin Epigram
The Stalin Epigram
by Robert Littell

5.0 out of 5 stars Pasternaks struggle, 9 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Stalin Epigram (Hardcover)
Having previously read other novels by Littel, often surreal I had to read this one as it was being hailed as Littels greatest work an I wholeheartedly agree
This is a timeless story of courage and truth confronting the madness of absolute power. It's a truely brilliant work,readable, sometimes funny and often heartbreaking. There are many books about Stalin's terror, but there cannot be many that bring its truths more vividly, painfully to life. "The Stalin Epigram" should not be missed.