Profile for Lilian Sch > Reviews

Gone to the Forest
Gone to the Forest
by Katie M. Kitamura

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but gloomy, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gone to the Forest (Paperback)
This novel came highly recommended. Kitamura's restrained style of writing was said to be reminiscent of Coetzee, and with that I agree. The content matter of "Gone to the Forest "evokes Cootzes's novel "Waiting for the Barbarians", which I read and enjoyed some years ago, All the members of my reading group also enjoyed it.
It remains to be seen whether Kitamura will be "a new Cooetze" as I understand she is a budding writer. Judging from this novel she can certainly stand on her own two feet.
Not exactly a page turner, Gone to the Forest is nevertheless a very good read. It took me a couple of days to finish. The writing is excellent, there is not one superfluous word. That being said it's not a book that instills faith in the human race. It's rather gloomy and depressing, and the ending is not for the weak at heart.
Nevertheless, I shall certainly be looking out for Katie Kitamura! She is a truly original writer:-)

American Anthem
American Anthem
Offered by InMusicWeBelieve

5.0 out of 5 stars Denyce Graves' voice, 18 July 2010
This review is from: American Anthem (Audio CD)
The mezzo-soprano Denyce Grave was a new acquiantance to me, but I fell in love with her voice instantly. When she sings "America, America" it brings tears to my eyes, and I'm not an American.
I ordered the CD for the Star-Spangled Banner, but this version was a bit too tame for me, a choir singing with not much variation.
But the record as a whole was great, and cheap.