Profile for juliagraves > Reviews

Content by juliagraves

juliagraves "jdgraves"

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book - but poorly edited, 13 Aug. 2011
This was a cracking read, but sadly spoilt by lack of editing. I read the Kindle edition so it's possible that the paperback won't suffer from the same problem. I would certainly be dismayed if I'd shelled out the best part of £10 for a book full of typos and inconsistencies. For example, Danny appears to say at the beginning that he was riding to India to take up a teaching job in Chembakolli. Later on in the book it appears he's just paying the school a visit - and what's more it's not even in Chembakolli, which we're now told is a jungle village that outsiders aren't allowed to enter.

I also feel - as some other reviewers have said - that Danny could possibly have referred less to his ginger beard, lycra shorts and resemblance to Wayne Rooney. Oh, and perhaps there could have been a little less toilet humour. Whilst I'm sure his descriptions aren't wildly inaccurate, there's a limit to how many times I want to read about digestive problems and filthy toilet facilities.

But hey, this guy did something great for charity and is actually a pretty good writer. I really enjoyed reading about his journey across Europe and Asia and the many colourful characters he met along the way. His personality shines through in his writing and I enjoyed his humorous take on what must, at times, have been a very challenging experience.

Overall, I'm giving it four stars, simply because I couldn't escape the feeling that it needed a darn good edit.

What Makes People Tick?: The Ultimate Guide to Personality Types
What Makes People Tick?: The Ultimate Guide to Personality Types
by Susan Quilliam

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing me, knowing you..., 28 Feb. 2006
I first borrowed this book from my local library but found it so helpful I just had to get a copy of my own.
When I went into the library, I didn't really know what I was looking for, but the title "What makes people tick: the ultimate guide to personality types" intrigued me and a quick flick through the book made me want to read more. When I got it home, I wasn't disappointed.
The book is written in an easy to follow, flowing style. It's aimed at you or me, so you don't need a diploma in psychology to understand it. But it will help you to understand more, not only about yourself and the personality traits that you display, but also about your friends, colleagues and loved ones.
The book contains a number of quizzes, each of which is designed to be done first, before you read the relevant chapter of the book. The quizzes may not be in-depth, scientific questionnaires, but they should give you a handle on some of the characteristics you display in different situations. The text will then outline what that might mean for you and how this aspect of your personality might tie in with others.
But the book doesn't just help you to understand yourself better. It also talks about how someone with your personality traits might relate to someone with slightly - or very - different ones. And it sets out some strategies for dealing with those people, at home, at work and at play.
If you're looking for a down-to-earth, readable guide to personality types, this might just fit the bill.

Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Ratchet & Clank (Video Game)
This game is superb. I’ve always been a huge fan of the platform game: I used to love Spyro, and when I was given Jak & Daxter for Christmas 2001, I thought it couldn’t get much better. I wasn’t counting on Ratchet & Clank.
I’ve only been playing it for a week, but already I’m totally hooked. The funny thing is that I’d not heard much about it until I saw it being played by a girl in a shop in Newcastle… it looked good then, but playing it myself I’ve discovered that it’s so much better than I’d ever imagined.
The worlds in Ratchet & Clank seem so real – the graphics are amazing and the voices are fantastic. It’s not linear – you don’t just go to one planet, shoot the baddies and then journey on to the next. There are genuine decisions to be made: do you buy this new gadget, or do you save your bolts? Which planet should you visit next? And sometimes you can’t complete all the missions on a planet in one go – you might have to fly off elsewhere to get an O2 mask or to win a hoverboard race before you can come back and complete the rest of your missions.
What’s more, there’s great variety in the activities you participate in. Other games might give you a creature or some kind of contraption to fly around on for a bit, but then you’re back to the monotony of run, jump, kill, collect… Not so with Ratchet & Clank. OK, so there’s a certain amount of the above, but you’re kept entertained by working out which weapon to use in which situation (if indeed you’ve bought the right weapon for the job!) and then there are the tasks: hoverboard races, flying a jet fighter, shooting down enemy ships from a turret… If you bear in mind that I only got this game for Christmas, there must be more to come, but already it’s surpassed all expectations.
If you’re looking for something wildly new and different, this probably isn’t it, but if you want a good, solid platform game that’s going to keep you entertained for hours, I’d strongly recommend giving Ratchet & Clank a go.