Profile for S. Horner > Reviews

S. Horner (UK)

super9shop PL2303HX USB to TTL to UART RS232 COM Cable module Converter
super9shop PL2303HX USB to TTL to UART RS232 COM Cable module Converter
Offered by fortunemart-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with correct drivers and correct RX/TX wires., 24 Jan. 2015
I had problems initially getting this to work in Windows 8.1, I found some drivers on Prolifics website which got it working here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/us/showproduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Then I had problems programming and Arduino Pro Mini and thought it was maybe my soldering or a dodgy cable. I was getting the error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
There are lots of solutions on the internet but non fixed mine. I then saw a comment about the RX TX being swapped on some cables, swapped mine around and it all worked.

Once you get past the driver issue and then figuring out which is RX and TX then it works well and for the price is excellent. Hopefully picture shows the cable connected to an Arduino Pro Mini (my soldering is very bad)
Comment Comment | Permalink

APC Back-UPS ES 700 - Uninterruptible Power Supply 700VA, - BE700G-UK - 8 Outlets - Surge protected

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bargain UPS, highly recommended., 8 Nov. 2014
An absolute bargain. I decided to buy a UPS after having several power cuts which damaged hard drives, this had a good rating on Amazon so decided to give it a go.

The setup took a few minutes to plug into my computer, router and a few other devices. The top four sockets use the battery to keep them on for a while until the battery power is used up. The bottom four are surge only. One of the better things about the UPS is that you can use your normal power cables with a 3 pin plug. Most UPS use female kettle style leads which is fine for a computer but more of a pain for other devices.

Since setting up the UPS about 2 months ago we have had 9 power cuts (mainly vandalism) and each time the UPS has took over, keeping my computer on for around 20-30 minutes before putting the computer into hibernate mode and switching the computer off. When power resumes, the computer comes out of hibernation and all programs continue to run as they did before with no need to restart anything that was running.

The only slight negative is that the logging from the Powerchute software is basic. I would have liked to have a full log of voltages and any incidents but the data that is kept is very minimal. Loss of power and restoration of Power are logged to the windows event log though. 99% of people wouldn't care about voltages.

I would highly recommend this to anyone, its become an essential where I live.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, shame about the black writing, 3 Mar. 2014
Very good value for money, only negative point is the black writing around the bulbs. The writing stands out in a chandelier, wouldn't be visible in a lamp. Still at this price shouldn't complain.

NEW Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Screen in BLACK for Samsung Galaxy ACE 2 i8160 GT-i8160, **INCLUDING ALL TOOLS TO DISASSEMBLE AND REPLACE YOUR FAULTY / DAMAGED / BROKEN TOP TOUCH SCREEN**
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Screen works perfectly but beware no instructions available for Ace 2, 7 Jun. 2013
The screen works perfectly and is Samsung branded, the description mentions a link to fitting instructions. There is a link to instructions for various phones but there are no instructions for the Ace 2 only the original. They are also hard to find elsewhere on the internet. All I could find for the correct version was a Youtube video showing how to fix a water damaged Ace 2. Follow these then I guessed the glass removal part, luckily I guessed correctly and it works perfectly.

I received the screen in a couple of days, so delivery was good. Just think carefully if you are confident taking things apart before purchasing especially with no detailed instructions for this model.

Brodit Passiv Holder with Tilt Swivel for Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
Brodit Passiv Holder with Tilt Swivel for Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 13 April 2013
This is my second Brodit car mount, yes they are more expensive than generic ones but you pay for the quality. The fit is perfect and it holds the phone rock solid. Can't recommend brodit holders highly enough, buy it.

Head Hunters (Panther)
Head Hunters (Panther)
by Michel Crespy

3.0 out of 5 stars little bit slow, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Head Hunters (Panther) (Paperback)
The title of this book caught my eye and even reading the first page lead me to believe there would be a lot more action than there actually was. Most of the book was about 3 teams trying to run imaginary businesses to try and impress a recruitment agency and trying to out do the other teams.

Things only started to get more interesting right at the end of the book and then the book suddenly seamed to be over too quickly after it taking an eternity to get anywhere.

Having said the above it was still quite good just not what I was expecting or hoping.

iRiver H10 (5GB) Mini HDD MP3 Player with FM Tuner and Colour Screen - Red
iRiver H10 (5GB) Mini HDD MP3 Player with FM Tuner and Colour Screen - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware US reviews, 14 Feb. 2005
Received my H10 today. The player looks very nice, much better than an Ipod Mini which is looking dated in my opinion. Sounds very good especially if you use one of the 30 EQ modes, I would advise using better earbuds than the standard ones.
I have 2 major gripes with this player though, the 1st is it doesn't work properly with Windows Media Player 10 and 2nd it doesn't currently work with Napster To Go in the UK.
These are major problems to me as these where the reasons I bought the player in the 1st place. I read several reviews that stated it worked with the above but unfortunately they were US reviews and the European version uses a different filesystem, this is not mentioned in any review I had read.
If you dont intend to use Napster To Go or Windows Media Player 10 then I would highly recommend the H10, its an excellent MP3 player.