Profile for Alice Goldie > Reviews

Alice Goldie

Ambient Sounds: Thunderstorm Sounds
Ambient Sounds: Thunderstorm Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 18 Sept. 2017
I put it on every night as I get ready for bed.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tunic, 13 Feb. 2017
Lovely soft fabric, rich colour & nice fit. Doesn't gap or reveal in the front. I received several compliments when wearing this for the first time.

The Miracle Man
The Miracle Man

2.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read but basically propaganda for the author's religious views, 19 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Miracle Man (Kindle Edition)
This book is well written and an entertaining page turner, but it is clearly written to explain and promote a certain religious / spiritual viewpoint. I was disappointed at that this novel turned out to be a form of evangelism for the author's own particular 'pick and mix' version of spirituality.

No Human Involved: A Munch Mancini Mystery (Munch Mancini Mysteries Book 1)
No Human Involved: A Munch Mancini Mystery (Munch Mancini Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great murder mystery with an original heroine, 21 Jan. 2016
I really enjoyed this smart detective story. The heroine is original & the plot & dialog flow well. I didn't guess the ending & look forward to reading the rest of the series.

A Star Curiously Singing (The Dark Trench Saga Book 1)
A Star Curiously Singing (The Dark Trench Saga Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable story, 9 Jan. 2016
The story is set in a dystopian future that is very well described for us. I enjoyed this a lot & look forward to reading the sequel.

HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)
HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing page turner, 10 Sept. 2015
I enjoyed it a lot & am looking forward to reading the sequel.

Doubt: a Truth Seekers end of the world religious thriller series (Among Us Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars A promising beginning, but overall a great disappointment., 22 May 2015
This book was a real disappointment, I'm afraid. The original idea seemed promising, but then everything just fell apart. The whole book is crying out for a good editor in several ways. It seemed to me as if the author hadn't asked anybody else to read it at all before publishing it, not even a friend. How else could so many typing errors have stayed in there? Spell check had obviously been used to catch actually miss-spelled words, but where the spell checker had correctly to a word that didn't make sense, or a word had been miss-used, it was just left there.
The book would also have benefited greatly from being considerably longer, to allow room for adequate development of characters, and explanation & development of plot points. About 3/4 of the way through the author just completely forgot to introduce a plot point & we had to catch up. The story seemed to get more & more rushed towards the end, with sparser and sparser story-telling, making the last few chapters and ending just seem ridiculous, rather than believable conclusions of the scenes set so far.
So overall I think this book would have made a promising first draft, but was definitely not ready for publication.

CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition (Exam N10-005)
by Michael Meyers

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, but not perfect exam resource, 4 Nov. 2012
I used this book as my main study resource for the Network+ exam & passed with a good mark. For practice questions I used Measure Up & the questions on this book's CD. The book itself has nice clear explanations & covers the majority of what you need to pass the exam. It certainly also helped me that I am very familiar with the A+ curriculum.

I would say that the 1st half of the book & the last couple of chapters are excellent, but that it loses its way in the middle. For some reason the chapters in the middle, which cover wireless networking, WAN technologies & setting up SOHOs, change style to one which I would expect in a magazine advising amateurs on setting up their home systems, rather than the professional & business based style in the rest of the book. I have no idea why the author did this & it was quite disconcerting. These chapters are also focused almost exclusively on situations & providers in the USA, while the exam itself is very definitely international. A lesser concern is that the book uses exclusively imperial measurements, whereas the exam, in the UK at least, asks questions in metric. However I think that most of us are perfectly capable of mentally converting the measurements, as long as the learner takes care to remember which system the measurements have been learnt in!