Profile for MattM > Reviews

MattM (Ipswich, Suffolk)

5 Album Set
5 Album Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 20 Jan. 2017
This review is from: 5 Album Set (Audio CD)
Something magical about these guys (and gal). The first album is a special favourite, it's very unpolished but just has such a vision to it, which is brilliantly explored in the albums that follow. From the days when young people believed that music could change the world, that singer-songwriter types stood shoulder to shoulder with novelists, artists and poets. I don't know if that's still true anymore but it was then. Beautiful.

Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money - also came with a wide ..., 14 May 2016
Great value for money - also came with a wide range of different sized 'bud' bits which was very useful for the smaller-eared gentleman...

Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations
Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations
by Jules Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, 12 Oct. 2013
I actually bought a second copy so I'd have one to lend out. It's probably a layman's book, but I found its presentation of key ideas of classical philosophy to be particularly lucid. However where it really scores (for me) is in the way it connects those ideas to contemporary life and the notion of philosophy as a means of mastering our own thinking processes with the aim of leading a balanced and productive life. I've not had therapy (lucky me?) and I flinched at first at the direct connection made with cognitive therapy, which was the author's route to (re)discovering a lot of the ideas explored here. However I must say that the author seems utterly genuine in his belief that we can all improve our quality of life through being clear headed about the way we think and the conflicts we all face. Well done, sir, a very good book indeed.

Laptone Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 300Mbps For Windows 10 / Win 8 / Win 7 / XP / Vista

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much cop, 24 Jan. 2012
I bought two of these for my sons' two computers. Neither worked very well, I have to say. One must have got bumped (?) in its first day and failed - I guess we can't blame laptone for that but one might infer the build quality wasn't great - the second one also seemed to fail fairly quickly - weak signal response, but also the actual object itself rapidly seemed to come 'loose' so that the metal usb adaptor waggled within the plastic housing and one had to place it really delicately into the slot. In the end we went back to using a Netgear dongle that had its own little extension wire so it could sit on the desk - perhaps a good extra for kids' computers, reducing the amount of time spent under the desk plugging the damn thing in and out of the back of the computer. This Netgear product had seemed to be working only intermittently, hence buying a replacement, but in the end it has proved more reliable. All in all a waste of 20 quid.

Look At The Fool
Look At The Fool

5.0 out of 5 stars I know it's a bit crap but..., 8 April 2010
This review is from: Look At The Fool (Audio CD)
Sometimes an album just gets under your skin. Yes, Mr Buckley was on the way down. Yes, the production is skinny and undistinguished, the songs are slender, the vocals are reedy compared to his sumptuous earlier efforts. And yet. This is one of those albums that saw me through my early twenties. My vinyl copy, paint spattered, blaring out the window of a mid-1980s London squat. There should have been no connection to this music, yet there was. I'm listening to it now, on Spotify. It's great. Somehow it's wrapped up with the tragic artist myth of Buckley's life. I'm so glad it's not 'Fruit Tree'. Buckley wasn't plotting his demise, I reckon. He was trying to get laid! Grind those hips, white boy...

Art Forms in Nature: Prints of Ernst Haeckel
Art Forms in Nature: Prints of Ernst Haeckel
by Ernst Heinrich Philipp August Haeckel

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 12 Mar. 2009
In every sense of the word. There's something relentlessly fascinating about this book, it's a monument to obsession, to the scientific viewpoint, to nature, too. The introductory essay is tedious beyond words, but still puts the images themselves in context - and what images. Timeless, intricate, bordering on heavy metal at times, with their spikes and prongs. These starkest images of micro-skeletons etc are the ones I treasure most. Unearthly - yet also simply a clear view on what is really there, in our world. Every home should have a copy!