Profile for F. Kogan > Reviews

Content by F. Kogan

F. Kogan "koganf" (Brooklyn, NY USA)

Transition
Transition
by Iain Banks

3.0 out of 5 stars The Book Of Wishful Thinking, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Transition (Hardcover)
I'm through about 2/3 of the book. Will write a follow-up review when I'm done. So far, so good. The political views of Mr. Banks don't bother me in the least. He's entitled to his, I'm entitled to mine.

This is a book of wishful thinking. I understand Mr. Banks very well. It is nice to think that all the horror of the world is attributed to some conscious entities that stand behind the scenes and pull the strings. There is a hope to win, or to make a deal, or at least placating feeling that you're succumbing to someone smarter, more powerful than you. Keeps you sane.

Unfortunately, we are on our own here. We are alone and lonely. So lonely, that we not only don't have any friends, we don't even have any enemies. There is no God, there is no Devil. We don't have any other reality but our own, either. We screw it up - we're done for. That, I guess, the idea Mr. Banks tries to push through. Advertently, or not.

As for the book itself, it is certainly very entertaining. I enjoy the reading. Style and language are superb, as usual. British authors beat our fellow Americans in that area hands down. Well, these Brits should be good for at least something, shouldn't they?

...

And, so, I finished it. I've read this already about 25 years ago. It was called The End Of Eternity back then. :-)

Overall, I'm disappointed. So we have now:

* The Faith of Fallen, The Libertarian Diatribe
* The Last Centurion, The Imperialist Diatribe
* Transition, The Progressive Diatribe

I expected a bit more subtlety and understanding from Banks. I guess, there is no place for subtlety when it comes to ideology.

And the guy doesn't really know how a LP works...

Kogan the Barbarian