Profile for bookwormz > Reviews

The Best of Adam Sharp
The Best of Adam Sharp
by Graeme Simsion

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed It!, 15 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Best of Adam Sharp (Hardcover)
I read The Rosie Project not too long ago, which left me incredibly excited for Simsion’s latest novel. I could see parallels to that book in almost every line of the story - Adam’s life is very linear at the beginning of the story, much like Don's in The Rosie Project. He has a whirlwind romance with a beautiful actress called Angelina, again much like Rosie’s relationship with Don, although theirs is a lot more long-lived.

There are very clear differences, though - such as Adam having his life a whole lot more sorted than Don ever did, and Angelina is less of a manic pixie dream girl, and more a very spoilt but loveable girl.

Angelina and Adam met twenty-two years ago in Australia, tied to a horrific boyfriend and a slowly declining loss of purpose in life, respectively. There’s a lovely soundtrack to this book, with so many songs that perfectly epitomise every situation that Adam finds himself in. Heartbreak, loss, happiness, love, everything’s captured in a song.

Music plays a major role in the story for more than this reason, too. Adam’s a piano player in the evenings, and that’s how he initially meets Angelina, an actress in a local television show. I loved the idea of this chance meeting being facilitated by music, especially when the songs serve as a reminder of his lost love as Adam gets on with his life, and Angelina gets on with hers.

Angelina and Adam both find other partners - Chris, who got on my nerves from the very beginning, although slightly redeeming himself towards the end as I got more and more sympathetic towards him as he’s ignored more and more by his wife. And Claire, who we never seem to meet properly, but is a whole lot more likable than Chris. She’s described as small and cute, and it made me incredibly frustrated as to how Adam just simply couldn’t find a way to get over Angelina and pursue a life with Claire, who’s right there with him.

I loved Simsion’s writing style in The Rosie Project and it really carried through well to here, I felt myself falling more and more in love with Adam and Angelina’s relationship with every single page, dysfunctional and doomed as it is. He also endeared me to all the characters, albeit through time, which is something I don’t find many authors can do. It’s eloquent, well thought out and perfectly paced.

One thing I do hope is that there isn’t a sequel to this. It ended as it should do, with nothing more to say or do. Everything was wrapped up nicely, sorted and tied up with a bow. A sequel would really spoil that, and in this instance is completely and utterly unneeded.

4.5 stars from me - I’d love to have less obvious similarity to The Rosie Project, but I fell in love with this book from the very first page.

The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 9) (Skulduggery Pleasant series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate you Derek., 24 Dec. 2014
How have I not reviewed this yet?
Well, it's nearly Christmas - which means I have read The Dying Of The Light at least eight times through - and I'm bored, so what better to do than review probably one of the best books I have read this year.
The Golden God has a tendency to, let's say, 'bump off' my favourite characters in spectacular fashion. [Spoiler regions here] When I read the ending - or rather what I BELIEVED was the ending - I literally started screaming at the book. Because Derek Landy has to be the spawn of Satan, along with Steven Moffat.
But my nitpickings with Landy and Moffat have no place here at all. I turned the page, wondering what in the name of all that was holy could happen after an evil sorceress destroys the entire world, and then…
Well, all I will say is Derek dodged a bullet there. I'm sure not just me but many other rabid fangirls would be hounding him night and day to try and make him a human (he's not human.).
Initially I was worried that this would be void of all the wisecracks and jokes that had endeared myself to Skulduggery and Valkyrie the first time I ever picked up Skulduggery Pleasant, but I was thankfully being overly paranoid. Get ready to take a rollercoaster with two partners in crime, a hastily slammed together team of mages and heroes, with some visits from characters you love to love/hate [I must say, I love everyone in SP] thrown in for good measure.
The worst part is it ends with a lot of questions unanswered. But after all, we can get them out of The Golden God with a chainsaw and a sledgehammer, right?

Mr Robbins
Mr Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember To Turn The Pasta off before you start reading!, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Mr Robbins (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to recieve one of the slightly infamous signed copies of this book, and to be honest that has absolutely nothing to do with this.
Amazing. I think I cried, which I hardly ever do at books of any type. So, buy this book.
It will truly change your life for the better. And the money goes to the Pancreatic Cancer charity, which is a charity close to the writer's heart.
This may be short, but I feel privaliged to have such a talented writer in my close family, and this book is between The Knife Of Never Letting Go and The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy on my bookshelf, which is a high honour.
So, please take the time to read and buy this book.

Armageddon Outta Here - The World of Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant series)

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words., 12 Aug. 2014
Well, the least you can say is that this book is what I have been waiting for ever since I was given Playing With Fire on my birthday. I've been obsessed ever since, annoying my friends with my gushing about how sad I'll be when this series finally draws to a close.
Ever since I heard about this book, I've wanted it. So when I finally brought it, it didn't disappont.
Like the title says, there are no words to describe this book. Characters you wanted to know more about - Mysotis Terra, humourous stories about goblins and a not-so-super supervillan, all with your favourite skeleton and his teenage partner, who needs words?
All I can safely say is that I am getting book 9 the day it comes out. It'd better live up to my expectations, just as this collection did. Oh, one thing? Awesomist. Title. Ever.

The Grimm Diaries Prequels volume 1- 6: Snow White Blood Red, Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder, Beauty Never Dies, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, Mary Mary Quite ... Apples (A Grimm Diaries Prequel Boxset)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok.........., 20 July 2013
this made my day I got this free iTunes Card Code and it was legit! Check this site out: freeitunes,cc :D .................................................................

Crown of Insight: Godly Games (Web of Hearts and Souls Young Adult Romance #1) (Insight series)

5.0 out of 5 stars ummmmmmmm..., 27 May 2013
i hated this book. no real plot, just people wandering a world which has no good ideas. so bad it should give you money for wasting an afternoon on it

The Maleficent Seven (From the World of Skulduggery Pleasant) (Skulduggery Pleasant series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Told by the bad guys, 1 April 2013
I've always felt that the Skulduggery books lack interesting bad guys. I'm also one of those people who sometimes want the bad guys to win.
Tanith has always been my favourite character; and this book flashes back to Taniths past too.
This book is funny, witty and introduces you to bad guys of tomorrow. If they don't get killed.

John Masefield High School Olympic Poetry Anthology 2012
John Masefield High School Olympic Poetry Anthology 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 30 Jan. 2013
i cant believe the quality of work! some great poets. caitlin your time is coming amzing buy this book YES

The Fallen Star
The Fallen Star

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
Very very good. I got this free; and rightly so it has a magnificent amount of typos and errors. read it and love it

The Lost Art of World Domination
The Lost Art of World Domination

5.0 out of 5 stars I view you as a relatively deady enemy!, 8 July 2012
Well, if it isn't SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT!!!
I love the series and i thought:
'oh no i have no sp on my kindle. ARRRAGH!'
well im only alive because of this!

Page: 1 | 2